Corsair Community

XMP & Memory Adjustments Fail TR3X6G1600C8D

Sunshine

They will work fine with that MB and CPU just enable the XMP settings should be all you need to set.

Hey there RAMGUY,

I was reading some other threads where it was suggested to use XMP settings. I have some issues with my memory 12GB (TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB PC3-12800+ (DDR3-1600+) and the ASUS-P6T board.

Enabling XMP causes the system to shut down. When booting, I get an "Overclocking failed"

In fact, to make a long story short, changing any memory adjustment from auto to a manual setting results in this behavior. Even if the memory is on Auto at say 1066MHZ, changing it to a manual setting of 1066MHZ will force the system to shutdown and boot to "overclocking failed"

Any suggestions here? With the 920, I can make adjustments and/or overclock the CPU fine, but I have to leave the memory settings completely alone (although, I am able to tinker with timings).

Also, since I have the above issue, can you suggest some timings to use at 1100MHZ with these 1600MHZ DIMMS?

Thank you kindly!

• Corsair Employee

At this time, a 6 module configuration is not part of the Intel XMP memory standard. So, you'll need to set your BIOS manually to run that setup.

Can you please reset your BIOS and then set the OCing functions to manual.

Then, you'll need to set the memory voltage manually to 1.66v and the memory speed to 1600. You can also set the latencies manually to 8-8-8-24 and DRAM Data Rate to 1N.

Next, you will likely need to slowly tune your memory controller voltage as the Intel IMC voltage at stock is more suited for 3 modules, not 6. Try 1.4v on the QPU DRAM Bus Voltage.

Before you try to boot to your OS, use the latest version of Memtest for a full pass to verify that you are somewhat stable. If it passes, then test for stability in the OS.

http://www.memtest.org

Anandtech web site quote there was no problem to set the timing at this speed with only 6gb.. ?

we are able to run this memory at the rated timings and speed at 1.56V on the majority of X58 motherboards. We had no problems with 7-8-7-20 1T timings at 1600 on 1.64V and eventually hit DDR3-1744 at 9-9-8-24 2T timings with 1.70V on the ASUS Rampage II Extreme board. Corsair provides some of the best customer support in the industry along with almost universal compatibility.

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=3476&p=5

• 3 weeks later...
At this time, a 6 module configuration is not part of the Intel XMP memory standard. So, you'll need to set your BIOS manually to run that setup.

Can you please reset your BIOS and then set the OCing functions to manual.

Then, you'll need to set the memory voltage manually to 1.66v and the memory speed to 1600. You can also set the latencies manually to 8-8-8-24 and DRAM Data Rate to 1N.

Next, you will likely need to slowly tune your memory controller voltage as the Intel IMC voltage at stock is more suited for 3 modules, not 6. Try 1.4v on the QPU DRAM Bus Voltage.

Before you try to boot to your OS, use the latest version of Memtest for a full pass to verify that you are somewhat stable. If it passes, then test for stability in the OS.

http://www.memtest.org

Thanks for this info.

I RMA'd the motherboard. New one has the same problems. Recently, ASUS posted a new BIOS (1102 I believe). This BIOS update resolves all of the issues related to making adjustments to the RAM. It can now be overclocked with that update (12 GB).

Thanks again

Archived