Corsair Community

TX650 V2 buzzing and ticking. Should I just RMA?

ProfPepper

I've followed the sticky, turned off the power altering settings in BIOS and the noise still runs in safe mode.

There are two noises:

One is a low electric buzz which is fairly constant and I'm fairly certain comes from where the plug and cable connect at the back of the PSU.

The second is a fast ticking which is not constant but fairly frequent, which I suspect is the fan in the PSU.

I don't really want to RMA, as going without a computer for 3 weeks (I'm in Australia) will be pretty terrible. Is there any way to go about fixing these noises?

Strange development:

There may be a connection with the tower case and the buzzing in the PSU.

A couple of times now, there has been no buzzing when the PC is on the the side case is off. When I put the side case back on, the buzzing starts again.

I don't know if it's just coincidence but I thought it was weird.

• 1 month later...

Seems as though the ticking sound from the fan motor controller is a known defect. Corsair is aware of this and will RMA or get you a new one if you make them aware of this. There's no worry if you are not bothered by this but for those who need a really quiet environment PS, ask Corsair to replace it.

Also, Corsair has an expedited replacement policy where you need to set up an RMA account on their website using your email address, they will take a credit card and temporarily charge you for the replacement then credit your card once the defective power supply is returned to them. This will save much time as the replacement will be ahead of time. Use the same shipping box they send and you can usually ship out the defective one the same day. A good idea for same day swaps.

I might add an update. The past few power supplies in this series I have purchased no longer have the case badge or the felt PSU bag. The felt bag was nice for modular cables storage and the case badge for obvious reasons. Those items should have been continued especially for those who are buying retail boxes who likely are computer hobbyist who put value in those added benefits.

Archived