Corsair Community

FIX: CUE Installation Freezes OS at "Driver Install 1/2"

ArTiqR

So after trying every, and I do mean EVERY possible thing, and still failing to install the CUE for my new K70 RGB, I've found the only way to install it is:

• Let it fail, force reboot.
  • Copy the installation files from a working install, into install destination "C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\Corsair Utility Engine" (my Surface got this ... questionable software installed without any issues)
  • And yeah it works now >.>

Eh, I wish someone had written this and saved me hours of trial and error madness.. (Corsair please fix).

Here is a download link for the files if you lack a second PC that magically can install this software.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Corsair Employee

This isn't addressing the problem of why it does this and doing it this way will also mean the drivers (audio and the corsair virtual input device drivers) may not install correctly.

I'm glad it works as a temporary workaround but its more important to understand why this occurred. From what I gathered so far, it typically is a permissions issue within the registry that prevents the drivers from installing.

• 1 month later...
This isn't addressing the problem of why it does this and doing it this way will also mean the drivers (audio and the corsair virtual input device drivers) may not install correctly.

I'm glad it works as a temporary workaround but its more important to understand why this occurred. From what I gathered so far, it typically is a permissions issue within the registry that prevents the drivers from installing.

Have you guys made any progress on this? I've been scouring for a solution, and now I can't download that guys files because its had too much traffic. I just posted a thread about this today because I couldn't find an answer, only to find this post from a month ago after the fact. A little disheartening to see there's no resolution.

• 1 month later...
  • Corsair Employee
Have you guys made any progress on this? I've been scouring for a solution, and now I can't download that guys files because its had too much traffic. I just posted a thread about this today because I couldn't find an answer, only to find this post from a month ago after the fact. A little disheartening to see there's no resolution.

The issue isn't related to CUE - its going to be system specific. Unless you can find a direct root cause as to what causes the conflict with CUE and others can reproduce, we can't fix it. If it is determined to be a system issue, then CUE can't be patched to fix it either.

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed quite a few people are having this issue. This is a simple fix which seems to work on multiple systems.

.:::Simple FIX:::.

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Click User Accounts
  3. Click User Accounts (again)
  4. Click Change User Account Control Settings
  5. Drag slider to the bottom to turn off UAC.
  6. Click Okay
  7. Log off of your user profile
  8. Log back in
  9. Install Corsair Engine Utility
  10. ENJOY!!!

.:::Questions & Answers:::.

Q: What does this fix do?

A: Just turns off UAC to avoid permission issues while installing CUE.

Q: Can I turn UAC back on afterwards?

A: You sure can. Simply repeat steps 1-8 to turn UAC back on. (Note: On step 5 you will drag the slider to the 2nd notch thus putting it back at default.)

Q: How many machines have you tested this with?

A: This has worked on 7 different machines at the moment.

I have noticed quite a few people are having this issue. This is a simple fix which seems to work on multiple systems.

.:::Simple FIX:::.

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Click User Accounts
  3. Click User Accounts (again)
  4. Click Change User Account Control Settings
  5. Drag slider to the bottom to turn off UAC.
  6. Click Okay
  7. Log off of your user profile
  8. Log back in
  9. Install Corsair Engine Utility
  10. ENJOY!!!

.:::Questions & Answers:::.

Q: What does this fix do?

A: Just turns off UAC to avoid permission issues while installing CUE.

Q: Can I turn UAC back on afterwards?

A: You sure can. Simply repeat steps 1-8 to turn UAC back on. (Note: On step 5 you will drag the slider to the 2nd notch thus putting it back at default.)

Q: How many machines have you tested this with?

A: This has worked on 7 different machines at the moment.

I can confirm that this did not solve my problem of freezing at Driver Install. Every release so far has frozen at driver install. The only thing that has worked has been the workaround mentioned in the first post...which is not ideal.

• 2 years later...

Archived