The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 PM
kizzie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419816
kizzie Reputation: 10

Penguin and I both have EVGA X58 3xSLI E758. That would be awesome if a BIOS update come out and fixed some bug that could potentially be our problem.

What did you come to on your settings? The only thing I feel we can do is "loosen" the timings. I just don't think I am going to settle for such things though.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:10 PM
penguin76's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419822
penguin76 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
http://twitter.com/TEAMEVGA/status/4668629043

Nothing memory related listed, but maybe they tweaked something unofficially.
That's for a different board.

I have the latest BIOS for my board.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:14 PM
penguin76's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419823

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzie View Post
Penguin and I both have EVGA X58 3xSLI E758. That would be awesome if a BIOS update come out and fixed some bug that could potentially be our problem.

What did you come to on your settings? The only thing I feel we can do is "loosen" the timings. I just don't think I am going to settle for such things though.
I'm going to run Prime95 all night. I saw some interesting information in my other thread that the Prime95 locks and the HyperPi locks are related.
But to see what time my system locks up/restarts (if it does) I'm also running a script the set the system time in a file every 5 minutes. That way I can look at it and see how long it ran before locking up.

Current settings.

CPU Host 133
Uncore Frequency (3200 (24x)) double target DRAM frequency.

Mem. frequency 1600 (2:12)
8-8-8-24-74-1T

CPU VTT +300mV
DIMM 1.65

Old 10-06-2009, 09:22 PM
penguin76's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419824

Where is yours failing now?

Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 PM
kizzie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419830

I have them set to DIMM 1.65v everything else is on auto. I've been trying out different timings with no success. 9-9-9-24, 8-8-8-28, nothing seems to work. I have even adjusted the QPI up to 1.3v and it's still not working. I feel like Corsair recently shipped a large batch of bad RAM out and we are just the lucky recipients.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:55 PM
penguin76's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419840

yay for us

Old 10-06-2009, 10:57 PM
penguin76's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419841

with all auto settings, i can get through 32M of SuperPI.

but that's with it running at 1066

Old 10-07-2009, 12:11 AM
rcll1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419847
rcll1 Reputation: 10
Default Help us figure this out Corsair

Quote:
I have them set to DIMM 1.65v everything else is on auto. I've been trying out different timings with no success. 9-9-9-24, 8-8-8-28, nothing seems to work. I have even adjusted the QPI up to 1.3v and it's still not working. I feel like Corsair recently shipped a large batch of bad RAM out and we are just the lucky recipients.
I don't think the RAM is actually bad. I think it just can't run stable at 1600MHz on the EVGA X58 boards... for some reason.

I registered here to look for a solution.

I have the same board, an EVGA E758 rev1.1(X58 3X SLI) and a very similar kit of Corsair CL8 1600MHz RAM, not Dominators but the XMS3 version: TR3X6G1600C8 (minus the "D"). 8-8-8-24 1.65V is printed on the labels, probably identical other than the heat sinks.

The RAM at 1600MHz causes all sorts of bizarre behavior on a stock(no OC) i7 system, memory related BSODs in Windows, random hardlocks or reboots, just a big untraceable mess. Relaxing timings to 9-9-9-24-88-2T has no effect on stability. Adjusting Memory related voltages: VDIMM, VTT, QPI PLL, IOH in all sorts of combinations does not manage to get it stable at 1600MHz.

The RAM at 1333MHz is solid as a rock at all sorts of settings including ~4.2GHz range OCs.

The RAM also passed 48 hours of Memtest86+(only v2.11, v4.0 and up work properly on i7 systems). It even passed at settings of 210 QPI with a 2:8 divider giving a RAM OC of 1680MHz.

The erratic stability problems happen after the OS is loaded. Judging only by DOS-mode Memtest this RAM is error free and will run patterns at 1600MHz pretty much indefinitely.

I have tried 3 i7 processors in case one or two had an incredibly weak Integrated Memory Controller, but even the worst i7's IMC should still handle 1600MHz fine. The X58 chip on the EVGA board could be a possible cause of the problem but I'm seeing many others having the same issue trying to run this particular RAM at 1600MHz, I've read of motherboard RMAs only to get the same result with the RAM.

When I saw the sizable list of X58 motherboards Corsair tested for compatibility I was a bit disappointed to not see any EVGA boards, they are a pretty big "enthusiast" name, fairly likely to be paired with high spec RAM from a top name like Corsair. I always recommend Corsair to anyone who asks for solid "it just works" RAM and all my Corsair purchases in the past have worked out well. I'm running Corsair PSUs and RAM kits in two other systems in this room alone, all running great and as advertised.

Would Corsair kindly get their hands on an EVGA board and figure out the widespread issue with these 1600MHz kits? I think many would appreciate an official "looking into" on this apparent incompatibility. I'd go ahead and RMA but I don't see how the replacement set would make any difference on this board.

Thanks in advance Corsair.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:44 AM
kizzie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419849

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcll1 View Post
I don't think the RAM is actually bad. I think it just can't run stable at 1600MHz on the EVGA X58 boards... for some reason.

I registered here to look for a solution.

I have the same board, an EVGA E758 rev1.1(X58 3X SLI) and a very similar kit of Corsair CL8 1600MHz RAM, not Dominators but the XMS3 version: TR3X6G1600C8 (minus the "D"). 8-8-8-24 1.65V is printed on the labels, probably identical other than the heat sinks.

The RAM at 1600MHz causes all sorts of bizarre behavior on a stock(no OC) i7 system, memory related BSODs in Windows, random hardlocks or reboots, just a big untraceable mess. Relaxing timings to 9-9-9-24-88-2T has no effect on stability. Adjusting Memory related voltages: VDIMM, VTT, QPI PLL, IOH in all sorts of combinations does not manage to get it stable at 1600MHz.

The RAM at 1333MHz is solid as a rock at all sorts of settings including ~4.2GHz range OCs.

The RAM also passed 48 hours of Memtest86+(only v2.11, v4.0 and up work properly on i7 systems). It even passed at settings of 210 QPI with a 2:8 divider giving a RAM OC of 1680MHz.

The erratic stability problems happen after the OS is loaded. Judging only by DOS-mode Memtest this RAM is error free and will run patterns at 1600MHz pretty much indefinitely.

I have tried 3 i7 processors in case one or two had an incredibly weak Integrated Memory Controller, but even the worst i7's IMC should still handle 1600MHz fine. The X58 chip on the EVGA board could be a possible cause of the problem but I'm seeing many others having the same issue trying to run this particular RAM at 1600MHz, I've read of motherboard RMAs only to get the same result with the RAM.

When I saw the sizable list of X58 motherboards Corsair tested for compatibility I was a bit disappointed to not see any EVGA boards, they are a pretty big "enthusiast" name, fairly likely to be paired with high spec RAM from a top name like Corsair. I always recommend Corsair to anyone who asks for solid "it just works" RAM and all my Corsair purchases in the past have worked out well. I'm running Corsair PSUs and RAM kits in two other systems in this room alone, all running great and as advertised.

Would Corsair kindly get their hands on an EVGA board and figure out the widespread issue with these 1600MHz kits? I think many would appreciate an official "looking into" on this apparent incompatibility. I'd go ahead and RMA but I don't see how the replacement set would make any difference on this board.

Thanks in advance Corsair.
Good information. I for one welcome our Corsair overlords (haha). I love their PSUs and this memory appears to be crafted from rock. Lately my attention has been turning slightly towards the board because nothing seems to be making any sense at this point.

Wired called it, here is our board update.
EVGA 3xSLI BIOS Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
MSI and EVGA will be completed by next week, stay tuned....
So was this kid in the compatibility list just blowing smoke? Or did this get posted somewhere?

Last edited by kizzie; 10-07-2009 at 12:47 AM.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:45 AM
decim8rmba's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419850
decim8rmba Reputation: 10

I'm actually running on a Gigabyte EX58 UD5...So it's probably not MB related...I've been running rock steady at 1333MHz though...But if I wanted to run at 1333MHz I would have paid for that...Not the $200+ that I paid for these...LOL...

Quote:

Old 10-07-2009, 01:33 AM
kizzie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419852

I have seen another kid with a Gigabyte board over on the TweakTown forums with similar issues. That new BIOS has brought forth new glory. Depending on my settings now, I am unable to boot into Windows 7 at all. Nice! Am I right? Yet to find any new stability glory from it; only greater instability. I wonder if a downgrade could make anything better.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:51 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419859
Wired Reputation: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcll1 View Post
When I saw the sizable list of X58 motherboards Corsair tested for compatibility I was a bit disappointed to not see any EVGA boards, they are a pretty big "enthusiast" name, fairly likely to be paired with high spec RAM from a top name like Corsair.
I don't believe that thread was made to state what they had and hadn't tested with, just a thread to show BIOS screens for a relatively new platform.

In that same thread Ram Guy links to tests with EVGA boards and various Corsair memory by Shamino:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
Thanks for the compliment and Actually EVGA posted some results on our forum and theirs.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 10-07-2009, 03:12 AM
rcll1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419862
rcll1 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
I don't believe that thread was made to state what they had and hadn't tested with, just a thread to show BIOS screens for a relatively new platform.

In that same thread Ram Guy links to tests with EVGA boards and various Corsair memory by Shamino:
I didn't see that thread, Shamino knows what he's doing for sure.

But in that same thread we also see a post like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
What other settings need to be changed to run the dominator GTs and rated specs on the x58? I have that same set and I can't get it to run greater than 1600 mhz even with the CPU not OCed! On the ASUS p6T deluxe I could. I figure I am missing something on the EVGA board. Memtest won't even run if I set it greater than 1600, it just reboots the computer. Plus, I get tons of BSODS if I do get into windows with it greater than 1600. Settings I have tried;

Dimm volts 1.65
manually entering timings of 88824 2t
vtt +100
and varying combinations of qpi and ram dividers all to no avail.

Is it me, the memory or the motherboard?

Thanks for your time.

Justin

PS I have the 965
What would you guess the problem is when these 1600MHz kits can't run at 1600MHz at stock settings or run at 1600MHz at VTT/QPI bumped settings?

Pass Memtest in DOS at 1600MHz, but BSOD/hardlock/reboot in Windows at 1600MHz.

I don't want to point fingers, I'd be very happy to just get the system working the way it should. Personally I've tested 3 CPUs so that's already off the table, I've also tested two PSUs, whats left is the Motherboard and RAM, or the compatibility between the two.

Any ideas or other settings to test are much appreciated.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:40 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419865
Wired Reputation: 32

Can't speak from much experience about DDR3 as all I had to do was set XMP and I was set to go. However, the last time I saw similar questions here (years ago) it ultimately came down to a finicky BIOS / motherboard design (unsure of which was the actual issue). On the other hand, the manufacturer I'm thinking of had different BIOS versions for different ICs.

I do know that EVGA's initial X58 board(s) didn't support 1600 MHz. It was later officially supported by a BIOS update (please correct me if I'm wrong). That was ultimately the reason why I didn't get their board, because at the time of my build it didn't support 1600 as of yet.

Has anyone who is having issues with this memory and an EVGA board tried their memory on a non-EVGA board?
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 10-07-2009, 03:51 AM
kizzie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419868

Nay, I have only one of everything except RAM. I have another set of 3x2GB $#% Gold 1600Mhz. I would cry if I found out it was the board. Especially since I went against my instincts to go ASUS.