The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 10:47 PM
NicholasDX48BT2's PC Specs

POST ID # = 356594
NicholasDX48BT2 Reputation: 10

Hi,

Just to clarify -- did you remove the power from your computer (you unplugged the electricity to your computer, or you changed a switch on the electrical outlet), OR did you choose "shutdown" in Windows?

If you choose Shutdown in Windows, you should see a light on the motherboard next to the RAM even with the computer OFF.

If you did not remove electrical power, then you may have a problem. if you removed the electrical power, then you have the same problem as me.

I've received an email from Intel saying they are still working on the issue. I/they don't know the reason for the bug and if it's due to the specific memory we are using or some other incompatibility/bug elsewhere yet. I'll keep you guys posted when I get an udpate from Intel.

** I've found another bug, I posted elsewhere, I was wondering if you (and others) could tell me if you have the same issue in Vista: in the Device Manager, go to System Devices, then Intel ICH9 Family SMBus Controller - 2930, properties---> then in the General Tab, under Device Status, what does it say? And if you go in the next Driver tab, and click on Driver Details, what happens?
Because, if I just click on properties and go to the Driver tab, it shows the correct driver date and the "Intel" name. But if I click on Driver Details it says "no drivers installed", which is a bug I have never seen before. Under Device Status of the first General tab, it says "no drivers installed" but at the same time there is no yellow exclamation point, which also does not make sense. I've reinstalled Vista twice, and the second time with the newest drivers, same issue. I found the issue because Vista at some point gave a popup window in the taskbar saying there were no drivers for SMBus. Everything else and all other Intel drivers work fine...

Old 07-07-2008, 07:35 AM
forbi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 356618
forbi Reputation: 10

Hi,

Thanks lots for the reply :)

Under my Intel(R) 82801GB SMBus Controller -2930 , This device is working properly. And under drive file details it say Driver files > C:\Windows\system32\drivers\intelsmb.sys

I didn't unplug the power cord at the back of my CPU nor from the socket.
I turn off the switch on the socket after i shut down my window. Mine is using a multi plug(i think is the wrong term for it), thoes kind that is in a row with 5 socket.

I think it should be some bug with the motherboard i guess?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:41 PM

POST ID # = 356747

Thank you!

If you turn off the switch on the "socket of the multi plug" (multiple outlets extension cord or surge protector), then indeed you cut the power to the computer, and you notice the same bug as I saw...

You can try to keep the switch on, after shuting down Windows to avoid this issue for now... You can choose "Shutdown" in Windows, but do not switch off power on the multiple outlet extension cord, and it should work... I am waiting on Intel to udpate me with a solution to our problem, I will let you know...!

In the device manager, you have "Intel(R) 82801GB SMBus Controller -2930"? Mine says "Intel(R) ICH9 Family SMBus Controller -2930", with the old drivers or the new ones, it's the same name...Do you have the DX48BT2? Did you use the drivers that came with the CD in the box or did you use other drivers maybe?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:44 AM
forbi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 356818
forbi Reputation: 10

Once again thx for ur reply :)

Hmm , i'm kinda noob about computer :)
The only SMBus Controller under my system devices is Intel(R) 82801 GB SMBus Controller -2390.
I have 2 others which have the word "Family" in it. Which is Intel(R) ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 1 -2940 and Intel(R) ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 5 -2940.
Yup i have a DX48BT2 . I purchased mine from some computer dealer called "Pluto".

Old 07-08-2008, 11:04 AM

POST ID # = 356820

Thanks!

I wonder why mine says ICH9 and yours is different...I couldn't find anything on the internet...anybody would have a suggestion?

Old 07-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 356933
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

You might check on the Intel forum and see what they say.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 07-09-2008 at 04:05 PM.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:02 AM

POST ID # = 356994

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
You might check on the Intel forum and see what they say.
I had checked already, it's apparently for ICH7, which is a chipset for older mobos...does not make sense. The joy of drivers...

Anyway my memory is working fine so hopefully Intel won't say my other issue (the boot POST issue) is not a compatibility issue with the memory or something. Tried with pretty much everything else removed so...I'll update when Intel gets back to me...

Last edited by RAM GUY; 07-09-2008 at 04:05 PM.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 357115

NP Please do let us know what they say.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:48 PM
eveready1010's PC Specs

POST ID # = 357581
eveready1010 Reputation: 10
Default Similar problem here

I recently purchased an Intel DX48BT2 and the Corsair TWIN3X2048-1600C7DHX memory, and everything right out of the box has been working fine for me...... The only thing that did not work was a USB-to-Serial adapter. I had tried everything I could except flash the bios to get it to work, so finally I did. The serial port now works (It was a driver/registry edit that fixed it, btw) but now I get the POST error message that has been mentioned in this forum (The system BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attampt(s)).

The message seems to alternate between restarts, one time it shows up, the next time it doesn't, etc. I have not yet changed any of the memory or CPU settings in the BIOS, so this message is strange to say the least.

I would be interested in hearing what the solution to this problem is, especially since I have had virtually no problems with this configuration since it was purchased over a month ago till the BIOS was flashed.

btw, I tried the power button for 20 seconds with the power cable unplugged, and the very next time it booted, I got the error message.

I don't have a whole lot of time to tinker with this, but if I find anything out I will pass the info on. For right now, does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next? This may be a question for Intel, but does anyone know how to go back to the original BIOS ;-)?

Old 07-14-2008, 02:42 PM

POST ID # = 357717

Hi,

In my case, the POST error occurs only after I physically remove power: unplug the PSU, or if you have a multiple outlet extension cord with a switch (some of them detect low power components plugged to it and switch off automatically now, I think it's the "Belkin Green" series).

Anyway, if I keep the computer plugged and simply use the Vista "shutdown" button, and then start, I do not get the message.

There is a bug for sure -- for starters, with the exact same settings, there is no reason the message should be displayed one time and not the other. If you get it even with the power still plugged in, maybe the BIOS is corrupted following the update? You can go back to the original BIOS, I think it's detailed in the manual (BIOS recovery) and the Intel website has previous versions too (I have never tried).

Did you change the memory voltage in the BIOS though? I think it detects the settings but not always the voltage correctly.

Can I ask you a quick favor? I have two other bugs myself and trying to sort that out: 1) In the device manager, under system devices, ICH9 SMBus controller-2930, click on Properties: what does it say under device status? In the next tab, Driver, do you see the version date? Then, do you get an error message if you click on the Driver Details button?

2) I also have a "TCP/IP error" in the event log, saying it has reached the maximum number of concurrent connections allowed. I get that even just after Windows installation, not much software installed (no download clients or anything like that). It happens after startup at some point. I wondered if it shows up in you system at start after installation, at the beginning of the event log?

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Andy0x1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 358970
Andy0x1 Reputation: 10
Default Dx48xbt2

Wow, this is a long thread - I haven't had a chance to catch up on all the reading, but figured I would post my own 2 cents based on the problems I've had.

I have the same Intel DX48XBT2 board, but DDR3 Corsair rated at 1600Mhz.

Computer power cycles over and over on/off/on/off/on/off when you try to power it up. If you let it cycle long enough, sometimes it will eventually boot. (not overclocked)

I found that if I pulled the aux PCI-E power connectors from the 9800GTX video card, the computer would power on fine, (but no video obviously)

If you connect the power while its running, and hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, the machine will shut off, then start power-cycling again.

With a 8600GTS it boots up just fine.

Sounds simple, power supply is too weak, or protection is too agressive.

Tried a new power supply (600W Thermaltake PurePower) same exact problem.

Also; a note on the RAM. I previously had Patriot memory that wouldn't run at the clock advertised.

Replaced it with Corsair. The Corsair worked better, but still had issues.

I found the solution to be setting the reference bus speed to a higher value when selecting the memory speed.

Its absolutely stupid because the resulting clock can be the same, yet it still seems to matter.

e.g.
bus 266MHz / Reference 266MHz / Clock 1066
v.s.
bus 266MHz / Reference 333MHz / Clock 1333
v.s.
bus 266MHz / Reference 400MHz / Clock 1600

You would think all of the above would result in the same result but they don't!!! Intel has some background stuff going on that's not being displayed.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:09 PM

POST ID # = 359025

Thank you for your post! Let me give a quick update based on contacts at Intel and posts elswhere:

1. The power cycle on/off was more limited with the new BIOS from May 2008. Yet, it happens the first time you plug the power supply to the AC outlet, with a display from the Watchdog Timer that the POST was unsuccessful and offers to change BIOS options, even though nothing is changed, and then you reboot and it's fine. It's only when you apply power the first time with some configurations (Quad+DDR3 1333 and above?) or if you use a switch on your extension cord/power outlet obviously, even if it boots fine, if you remove AC power it will happen again the first time (not good for the hard drives!!!). Subsequent starups are fine. Change of memory, power supply etc, it's the same issue. Intel has confirmed the bug and has esclated the issue for their engineering department to investigate. I have not received any updates for a while. They did not know why it said the POST was unsuccessful, but they found the SAME bug on their own setup!!!

2. The SMBus issue I mentioned earlier is also a bug that I got Intel to finally confirm. They will be looking at it. It happens with the drivers 8.3 and above. I got an error message in Vista saying the drivers were missing, that how I found it, but not every body gets the message, but the result is the same in any case, there is a bug in device manager. IDCC may have additional drivers apparently that could take care of the bug. Other than the bug in the device manager and the error message in Vista that some may see, no other issues found yet with that bug.

3. The TCP/IP error I found in my event log is described as Microsoft as a limit to prevent virus spread, since it limits outbound connections to IP addresses that are not valid (25 failed connections per second with Vista Ultimate). So I thought because I'm the only one with the bug (not using peer to peer or torrent), that I have a virus or a bad network card in the motherboard? Noooo. This one is a Microsoft bug. If you select 30 songs or so in Windows explorer and rigt click to add to Windows Media player playlist or simply play (it's like the most basic thing one would do with Vista right??? and I do it after installation to test the sound and channels, before I install iTunes etc)...well apparently Windows connects to multiple addresses and also incorrect addresses, even if you choose all options in configuration for Windows Media Player to NEVER connect to internet for any reason. Well obviously it is still trying to connect, and to bad IP addresses too! I would like to hear Microsoft on that one. Spying? Also I duplicated the issue on other PCs (even at BestBuy!!!). You will see the TCP/IP error, which will limit your network connection and also tell you that this is for Virus protection if you search Microsoft's KB. Good job Microsoft.

4. I get some BSODs/"atikmdag display driver has recovered" messages, maybe once a week. It's random and not frequent at all, but usually not long after a startup. There are tons of people with that issue (Google). Other than that, it's very stable. I updated all drivers -- same. The only real issue is when installing Norton from the free 2008 BankofAmerica trial file (I'm saying that because it's the only version I tried), it freezes the computer at random points during or after installation. Then I get tons of BSODs, etc. After yet another reformat, I have no issues with other programs -- McAfee, image word editing tools, music etc, no issues during installatoin, no freeze. So is it really only Norton?? Because I never get a screen freeze otherwise, but I do get some atikmdag display driver has recovered occasionally, just on 2D desktop.

RamGuy: I have read on ATI's website that most likely the memory/motherboard can be involved. I will try to underclock my card (HD 3650, not overcloked, default settings) to see if it helps, then try a different memory setting to see if that helps reduce the frequency atikmdag bug. I have 4 GB of TW3X4G1333C9DHX (2x2GB). I set it at 1.7V vs. the default of the DX48BT2 board which is 1.5V (note that I got BSODs with Norton before with TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX which is rated at 1.5V and I had at 1.5V, but OK one stick was defective and the errors may have been caused by Norton too so it's hard to conclude). 1.7V is what is shown on the sticker on my new memory modules TW3X4G1333C9DHX. I ran memtest for 11 passes overnight with no errors.

RamgGuy, What do you suggest as a more stable frequency and timing for that memory to try? I have 1333 MHz and 9-9-9-24 which is what is printed on the modules...what about the bus options mentioned by Andy0x1?

Old 07-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Andy0x1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 359030
Andy0x1 Reputation: 10

Its absolutely stupid because the resulting clock can be the same, yet it still seems to matter.

e.g.
bus 266MHz / Reference 266MHz / Clock 1066
v.s.
bus 266MHz / Reference 333MHz / Clock 1333
v.s.
bus 266MHz / Reference 400MHz / Clock 1600

You would think all of the above would result in the same result but they don't!!! Intel has some background stuff going on that's not being displayed.[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify the above post as I didn't word that very well;

This board gives you the option to "reference" the frequency you want against to prevent accidental over-clocking with higher FSB speeds.

If you clock your CPU bus at 266 (quad pumped to 1066MHz) and select a memory speed of 1066MHz, you will get a RAM speed of 1066MHz.

If you raise your CPU bus speed to 333 (quad pumped to 1333MHz) and select a memory speed of 1066MHz, you will actually get 1333MHz.

What is odd, is (at least for me) that would fail to boot.

yet if I set the reference speed to 400, and the memory speed to 1600MHz while keeping the same 333 (quad pumped 1333MHz) bus speed, it would result in the same 1333MHz memory speed, but unlike the previous iteration, this one actually worked and allowed the system to boot.

----------

with a deeper over-clock of 366Mhz (1464Mhz) 3.29GHz (up from 2.4GHz)

1464MHz mem speed via 366 / "Default" set 1066 - Fail to boot
1464MHz mem speed via 366 / "266" set 1066 - Fail to boot
1464MHz mem speed via 366 / "333" set 1333 - Fail to boot
1464MHz mem speed via 366 / "400" set 1600 - Works Great!

That makes no sense.

Other speeds:
1100MHz mem speed via 366 / "Default" set 800 - works fine with corsair but not ********
and etc, on down the pattern.

Anyone else notice this?

latest Intel Bios as of this writing.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:04 AM

POST ID # = 359256

RamGuy,

I'm still trying to find less "intensive" settings for my RAM. I have TW3X4G1333C9DHX (2x2GB) at 1.7V and 1333 MHz and 9-9-9-24 which is what is printed on the modules. What do you suggest as a slower speed and more conservative timing? What about 2T/1T??

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 359306

It will depend on the CPU FSB as to what you can set the memory to but they will run at DDR800 or DDR1066 at Cas 7-7-7-20 at DDR1066 most likely with out any problems.