The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 06:41 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 360899
TotalAmnesia Reputation: 10

Hi Folks,

Although my DX48BT2 rig is now 100% stable and crash free (thanks to the replacement RAM) I have also experienced the startup problem with this motherboard and I think there is a pattern.

If I physically unplug the PC for any length of time (total power down, no LEDs lit on the motherboard) I get the "The system BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s) ...go into the BIOS or not (Y/N)." warning on my next cold boot.

This only happens once and it makes no difference if I answer Yes or No, it always restarts and works just fine from then on. So long as I leave the power connected up while the PC is turned off it re-starts with no problems.

I have a gut feeling this is a motherboard BIOS problem and is not RAM related, I think perhaps the "WatchDog" feature is feeling unwell. This is my 2nd DX48BT2 motherboard (had to RMA the first) and the previous revision was even more problematic. Both had this cold boot issue.

The newest (and least buggy) revision of this board has bright blue components near the CPU (picture uploaded from http://techreport.com/articles.x/14598) and works fine with Corsair 4Gb DDR3-1600 with XMP profiles.The old version has mat black component (not blue) and the capacitors are trimed with dark purple.

I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intel-board.jpg (125.9 KB, 540 views)

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 08-05-2008 at 07:03 PM.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 360985
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

I would tend to agree with your suspicions and thank you for the follow up.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:48 AM
NicholasDX48BT2's PC Specs

POST ID # = 361248
NicholasDX48BT2 Reputation: 10

Yes, this is a problem with the motherboard and/or BIOS that I reported in June on this forum.
http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=70421

Intel was able to replicate the same problem on their OWN computers!! Yet it appears they didn't even notice it before releasing the board! I'm shocked, I wonder if Intel is really worth paying extra compared to other cheaper boards from Asian manufacturers then. This is not acceptable.

Anyway, they are still investigating the problem, no news yet. Two weeks ago they called me yet another time to ask about some more info from my system specs, no news since then...They assured me that their Engineering department was still investigating. I reported the issue to them almost two months ago. They have updated the BIOS recently and it doesn't list any solution to this issue.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 361288

Well Intel in an Asian Manufacturer sorry to say, but they do not make their own MB's for the most part. They do design them but the manufacturing is all done third party like with most others IBM, HP, Dell and so on.

And at the time of design chances are the CPU was not available and may be part of the problem, I would not put too much into it, as it is normal for new MB's and chipsets.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:52 PM
NicholasDX48BT2's PC Specs

POST ID # = 361313
NicholasDX48BT2 Reputation: 10

Ram Guy - yes, mostly all electronic components are made in Asia. However, the board is designed elsewhere, engineering and customer support are provided elsewhere, testing is supposed to be more thorough. While products designed and supported and tested and produced in Asia could be good as well, they cannot afford the same level of testing and support, and their purpose is to release cheaper, more cost-effective solutions. This is why people who want professional, stable, and tested motherboards would go with more expensive Intel boards.

If I want cheap, there are plenty of other options ($50!). If I want overclocking, I go with Asus. If I don't want bugs and do beta-testing for weeks and want a stable board, I pay more for an Intel board...well, maybe not.

Regarding the cause for the bug, I talked to Intel today, and it has to do with the memory/BIOS/board! Here is what they found to solve the bug:
- Update to the latest BIOS as usual
- Remove the battery for one minute and put the battery flat on a table upside down (this is exactly as it was explained to me)
- Replace the battery, go in the BIOS, and in the memory options, choose Advanced-> User Defined instead of Auto, but without changing any options. Then save.

They said it solved the bug in their setup and I should try that.

Now THAT, is the professional, top-of-the-line, expensive ($260 when I bought it), bug-free motherboard that I was expecting... (I'm joking )

Old 08-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Johny58's PC Specs

POST ID # = 361853
Johny58 Reputation: 10

I seem to have solved the cold boot error message!

The message:

"The system BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s).

Possible causes include recent change to BIOS perfomance options or recent hardware changes"

And the choise to either go into the BIOS or not (Y/N)"

NicholasDX48BT2 told me about a BIOS update for the DX48BT2 (version 1814, released 8/8). I have not been able to reproduce the problem since I updated the BIOS!

However I have not yet tested the memory one-at-a-time. Intel is currently looking into giving me advice on what memory I should be using. The big difference between my setup and that of other people in this topic is that I'm using a total of 8GB of CM3X2048-1600C7DHXIN modules, (2 sets TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHZIN G). Intel claims this is impossible! They say this memory can only be used when running the system with 4GB. Has an 8GB setup ever been testen by Corsair? Bachus_anonym, from Corsair, who posted earlier in this topic, seemed to have tested this board with 4GB, any chance he tested with 8GB as well?

Intel support only advised me to use some kind of exotic Micron Technology memory (MT16JTF25664AY-1G4BYES) - which happens to be impossible to purchase unless you want to buy 100 units. According to Intel, up till now this is the only memory that can be ran with 8GB (on 1333MHz and not on 1600MHz).

I would really appreciate advice from Corsair on whether 8GB of this memory is supposed to work @ 1600MHz in this board and if not, what other Corsair memory I should buy to run 8GB with optimal performance.

Besides that, my memory is not recognised as XMP memory! I have 2 sets of the same memory but neither is recognised as memory with Extreme Memory Profiles. My motherboard is the revised version of the DX48BT2 that TotalAmnesia mentioned (it ends with AA E26191-204 and has solid blue square capacitors next the CPU). Isn't the chance that both sets of memory are bad very small?

Last edited by Johny58; 08-13-2008 at 08:44 AM.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 361879

With 4 modules of XM3S-1600XXX DDR1333 would be suggested and it sounds like you have the cold boot issue resolved but I would lower the memory frequency and see if it is more stable.

And we only test the modules as they are sold at this time we do not offer an 8 Gig kit sorry!

Old 08-14-2008, 01:45 AM
Johny58's PC Specs

POST ID # = 361995

Yesterday evening I tested all 4 memory modules, one at a time.

I used the memory settings that bachus_anonym posted earlier in this topic. I only changed the memory settings (4th screen) though.
I was not able to find the settings in the 2nd screen and dit not want to tamper with the processor configuration (3rd screen). Is it neccesary to change the settings in the 2nd and 3rd screen? If so, where can I find the 2nd screen in the BIOS? Maybe it disappeared in one of the more recent BIOS updates (I'm running 1814)? Should any of this influence memtest results?

The settings I used for running memtest:
Memory Frequency 1600 Mhz
tCL 7
tRCD 7
tRP 7
tRAS 20
tRFC 88
tRRD 5
tWR 10
tWTR 6
tRTP 6
Memory 1.9v
Command Rate <Auto>

2 of 4 memory modules showed errors within the first 5 - 10 minutes of running memtest, 1st pass (I double checked). The other 2 modules ran for at least 5 passes (1,5 hours) without problems. After running the 2 working modules seperatly I ran them together overnight (over 7 hours) with no errors showing up in memtest.

Does it matter whether the 2 working modules were packaged together or if each of them was packaged with a non working module when I bought the memory? In other words, should a dual channel memory kit only be used in a dual channel configuration with the module it came packaged with?

Like I saw in the screenshots by bachus_anonym I put the 2 working modules in the memory channel A and B in slot 1, I believe that's the black one. However the motherboard still doesn't recognize the memory as XMP memory. In other words, I am not able to select Profile 1 on the Memory Configuration screen in the BIOS. I have to set it to Manual/Custom and enter al the settings manually. I know TotalAmnesia had the same problem earlier in this topic, but that seemed to be related to his memory showing errors in memtest.

Sorry for the load of questions in this post, but I hope you can take the time to answer all of them.

Last edited by Johny58; 08-14-2008 at 01:58 AM.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 362057

What is the make and model of MB you have? And what CPU are you using?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Johny58's PC Specs

POST ID # = 362059

Intel DX48BT2 motherboard and Intel QX9770 processor

Old 08-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 362061

The settings will be what bachus_anonym posted for that MB but please note we use a E8000 series CPU as they will over clock better and the settings he gave are for two modules only. If your BIOS does not show the same settings I would suggest contacting the MB maker and have them help you with the BIOS and how to set it up.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Johny58's PC Specs

POST ID # = 362063

The screenshot that bachus_anonym posted earlier in this topic states Intel Extreme X9770 @3.2GHz. That's exactly the same as mine.

And I'm currently talking about using 2 modules (since the other 2 show errors in memtest). My problem is identical to what TotalAmnesia posted earlier in this topic. For example take a look at his post on 07-19-2008, 11:27 AM

Old 08-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 362065

If you are getting errors at those settings with one set but not the other then let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 08-14-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Johny58's PC Specs

POST ID # = 362076

Does it matter whether the 2 working modules were packaged together or if each of them was packaged with a non working module when I bought the memory? In other words, should a dual channel memory kit only be used in a dual channel configuration together with the module it came packaged with?

Old 08-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 362082

Yes it may, but what is the lot number and Version number on the two failing modules?