The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Garvin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 353556
Garvin Reputation: 10

"I read that this is sometimes caused by the motherboard issuing some lagacy USB interrupt" - Yep, just temporarily disable Legacy USB support in the BIOS then save changes and exit the BIOS. On boards/BIOS's suceptable to this problem, half the time you don't even get that warning; Memtest just freezes or the rig crashes.
CAS latency - RAS to CAS Delay - RAS Precharge - Active to Precharge Delay(also called Active Precharge delay and RAS Active time)
http://www.memtest.org/

Last edited by Garvin; 06-16-2008 at 12:00 PM.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:36 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 353578
TotalAmnesia Reputation: 10

Thanks Garvin, that helps me greatly.

I will have to make a bootable CD from an ISO for the test app. I am currently using an external USB floppy disk to run Memtest86+ as I have no floppy drive connector on this motherboard. The keyboard is USB also (and there's no PS2 port) so it will be fun to see if it stops working too!. It's all good fun.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Garvin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 353625
Garvin Reputation: 10

Should have mentioned, Legacy USB support is only needed for much older USB devices (ancient), which I doubt you have, and shouldn't effect you at all (keyboard-wise).
CAS latency - RAS to CAS Delay - RAS Precharge - Active to Precharge Delay(also called Active Precharge delay and RAS Active time)
http://www.memtest.org/

Old 06-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 353632
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

It was usually ASUS Mb's that was an issue with so I would not worry about it much.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:22 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 353657
Wink

Hi Folks,

I made a memtest86+ CD from the latest ISO and booted from it with Legacy USB disabled. It appears the test app uses legacy mode for it's keyboard driver so the only way to escape is the good old reset button. The BIOS config still detects the keyboard with Legacy disabled so it's no big deal.

I am now fairly sure the "Unexpected Interupt" problem is probably related to the millions (I kid you not ) of errors it just found. It's strange the way Memtest86+ may sometimes complete a full pass and then without warning go ballistic. I left it testing while I was watching a movie and it found error after error for over an hour. I think it's trying to tell me somthing...

A word of advice, don't use the Memory Diagnostic Tool built in with Vista, it gave the ram a clean bill of health. I guess this is why RamGuy trusts memtest86+. It's not perfect but I'm starting to see why people like it. Primative but reliable.

I don't see much point testing again untill the new sticks arrive. Better luck next time. Problems like this are the price you pay for being an early adopter.

Thank you all for your help. I'm be back in a few days (or perhaps a week) when the RMA is sorted out. Bye for now...

EDIT:

I just read your followup post Ram Guy. Thanks for the info. I am a little worried when you say "if the Microsoft Memory diagnostic is passing that would suggest there may be some other problem as well" as I am running out of things to RMA. If both motherboard and memory are replaced then that only really leaves the CPU!. Let's hope it's just a dodgy BIOS or software problem. I went for main brand components to avoid all this sort of grief and I'm not stopping till I get this beast working

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 06-16-2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Edded comment after Ram Guy's followup.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 353661

That error would normally be caused by some other problem, most likely there is some BIOS bug or the software www.memtest.org will have to be updated and if the Microsoft Memory diagnostic is passing that would suggest there may be some other problem as well.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:41 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 354208
Thumbs up

Hi Ram Guy,

The supplier of the RAM (Insight.com) has arranged for a courier collect my memory sticks tomorrow. They will be handling RMA for me and will send the sticks back to Corsair, all free of charge. Woo hoo!.

I will include a summary of what went wrong (Errors in Memtest86+ and non-detection of XMP profiles on an intel DX48BT2 motherboard) plus a link back to this thread etc. I don't know how long this is going to take but hopefully it won't be too long. I will give an update when this is all done.

I would like to thank both your self, bachus_anonym and everyone else who has helped over the last few weeks. I will be very glad to get my system up and running when the replacement sticks arrive. Hopefully all will be well.

Wish me luck!.

PS

I do not get the "Unexpected Interupt" error in memtest86+ when legacy USB is disabled on this motherboard, so if any one else has that problem you may wish to disable this setting.

Update:
Nothing to report yet. My ram was picked up by a courier on 20th June and I haven't heard anything back yet. My supplier says it talkes 1 to 4 weeks for the RMA. Waiting...

Update:
Replacement RAM has arived!. It's 18th July and it's time to re-test.. I will fit the ram tonight and run Memtest86 over the weekend. Update to follow...

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 07-18-2008 at 09:32 AM. Reason: New RAM has arived.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 354211

NP Please do let us know!

Old 07-19-2008, 12:27 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 358404
Big Grin Success!

Hi RAM Guy,

The time has come for my final update. The replacement RAM modules work perfectly and now I can select "Profile 1" in the BIOS for the first time. The XMP speeds are now detected and even show up in CPU-Z. Having set things up as you instructed earler the PC booted cleanly and showed none of the instability I experienced with the original RAM.

I've run 4 passes of Memtest86+ (just over 2 hours) with no errors what so ever and I am getting a really good feeling about these replacement sticks. There was no need to disable Legacy USB either, the utility ran without any crashes or lockups.

SiSoft now shows 8420 Mb/Sec and CPU-Z shows it's running at 7-7-7-20 @1600Mhz which is spot on for state-of-the-art RAM.

Thank you very much for your help and support. It looks like the original RAM was the cause of the problem. The RMA took a few weeks but I am more than happy with the result. Extatic in fact, now everything's working again.

I don't know if it will help you but I have attached a screenshot from CPU-Z so you can compare the memory profiles for the Old RAM (Bad) and the New RAM (Good). They look completely different!. It's as if the faulty ram was 'programed' with the wrong profiles somehow. Now the new RAM is in it's amazing, this time I had everything working in just 3 minutes and running as smooth as super fast silk.

Remember folks, you may think you can save some money buying cheeper brands of RAM, but if things go wrong, Corsair will look after you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPU-Z for Old and New RAM.jpg (94.0 KB, 443 views)

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 07-21-2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Clarity.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 358625

Great and thank you for the follow up!

Old 08-01-2008, 04:55 AM
Johny58's PC Specs

POST ID # = 360244
Johny58 Reputation: 10
Default similar problems

I have a problem that looks a lot like the problem described in the thread.
I also own an Intel DX48BT2 and an Intel QX9770, however I'm trying to use a total of 8GB of CM3X2048-1600C7DHXIN modules, (2 sets TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHZIN G). I was able to find out that the motherboard does not support 8GB of 1600MHz memory, but shouldn't it be able to run with the memory underclocked to 1333MHz? It underclocks to 1333MHz automaticy.

However, every time the system boots I get the message:

"The system BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s).

Possible causes include recent change to BIOS perfomance options or recent hardware changes"

And the choise to either go into the BIOS or not (Y/N).

I have booted it succesfully a couple of times, running 64bit Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition. However the system seems unstable.

Do you have any experience with this setup with 8GB as well? Or any suggestions what other motherboard I can use with this processor and memory?

Old 08-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 360314

That is a BIOS feature that will happen if the MB is not shut down properly or if the system locks up and you force a shut down it will do that so the system can post the next time it is called BIOS safe made. Just go in to the BIOS and exit should solve that, unless the system is crashing with with 4 modules installed.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 08-04-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Johny58's PC Specs

POST ID # = 360335

It doens't run very stable with automatic memory settings. Should I change the timing and voltage settings?

Entering and exiting the BIOS is a fix to get the system to post and boot. However this is not a solution since, if I have to reboot the system remotly, I'm not able to perform this fix.

I've had a support case open with Intel on this issue. They claim that it's impossible to use this kind of memory (1600MHz) in a 8GB configuration. Even if it's ran at 1333MHz.

So, what should I do:
1. Change timings and voltage settings
2. Change the motherboard
3. Use different memory (1333MHz?)

Thanks for your quick response so far!

Old 08-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Johny58's PC Specs

POST ID # = 360337

Forgot to mention that the function you mentioned is known as the watchdog funtion. I tried disabling this in the BIOS. This didn't make any difference though.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 360651

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 1.8 volts (+.3 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.