The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 143 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 01:01 PM

POST ID # = 668522
flarp Reputation: 10

Hello fellow,
another victim here.

I have Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H and CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 (Vengeance 16Gb 4x4Gb) and i facing exactly same problems. I first thought a source of the problem is my GPU witch is factory overclocked, but after doing some research i'm satisfied it's memory or mobo. Luckily i can run the system stable at 1333Mhz, but it will turn unstable immediately i turn on XMP profile or set memory manually to 1600Mhz.

I noticed some other manufacturers use 1.65V voltage for memory modules when XMP profile is enabled. I will try this even the memory kit is specified for 1.5V. Also i read from some other forums that may need to increase processors system agent (Vccsa) voltaga little when all 4 DIMMs are populated. Tried this but no luck with +0.015V.

I think i'm going to get some other mainboard and 2x8Gb kit of memory if i won't find solution for this issue.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 668615
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Quote:
I noticed some other manufacturers use 1.65V voltage for memory modules when XMP profile is enabled. I will try this even the memory kit is specified for 1.5V. Also i read from some other forums that may need to increase processors system agent (Vccsa) voltaga little when all 4 DIMMs are populated. Tried this but no luck with +0.015V.
Yes, please do. Going to 1.55 or even 1.6v isn't going to hurt the memory. The modules them selves are good to about 2.0v before you could potentially damage the modules or void the warranty. But you would fry your CPU long before you hit that much voltage. :P

But that little bit isn't going to hurt. I hope this helps you, but i do to fear your another victim of the Gigabyte boards.

Quote:
I think i'm going to get some other mainboard and 2x8Gb kit of memory if i won't find solution for this issue.
A 2x8 gig kit would actually be preferable. It's less strain on your IMC and less heat too. Unless you really need to max out your memory or even just want to populate all your slots, it's highly overrated. The newer Intel CPU's really seem to do better with 8 gig modules anyway.

Let us know how you make out!

Old 08-06-2013, 11:15 AM

POST ID # = 668699
flarp Reputation: 10

Gigabyte made new F8 bios version available during the weekend and give it a try on yesterday. There was no word about improved memory compatibility but instead some PCI-E improvements.

First i tried with XMP profile 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24-2T @1.5V but got BSOD after playing some WoT. I increased memory voltage to 1.55V and so far i've been able to run system stable. Just played Dead Island 4 hours straight and some WoT before that. No problems so far. However, i'm not fully satisfied that memories are working at 1600Mhz because bios doesn't change multiplier to 16 after switching to XMP profile. Instead multiplier stick on 13.33 which has been previously stable. Checked memory frequency on windows with CPU-Z which show 800Mhz but i'm still bit unsure.

Quote:
A 2x8 gig kit would actually be preferable. It's less strain on your IMC and less heat too. Unless you really need to max out your memory or even just want to populate all your slots, it's highly overrated. The newer Intel CPU's really seem to do better with 8 gig modules anyway.
I bought this 4x4Gb because it was in sale and i thought it doesn't matter is there 2 or 4 sticks. Sometimes would be good to do some research before make a hasty decision.

EDIT: False alarm. Still crashing.

Last edited by flarp; 08-07-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:43 PM
KonsG's PC Specs

POST ID # = 671206
KonsG Reputation: 10
Default Yes, Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP rev. 1.0 is at fault for BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nillion View Post
I just wanted to add that I returned my gigabyte pile of trash and picked up an asus z87-pro. all 4 sticks plugged in that was making the gigabyte board crash, and even got them the do t1 timings @ 1600mhz @ 9-9-9-24 0 crashes, been playing games all day long. If you own the GA-z87-D3HP toss that crap.
Just registered on this forum to confirm that there is indeed a problem with this motherboard (Gigabyte D3HP) that causes it to malfunction when 4 memory slots are used. I bought a brand new PC with all new components that included this board and 32GBs of RAM in 4 modules. Was getting frequent BSODs (Blue Screens). Struggled with this for two weeks, trying to figure out the source. The mobo was the last suspect. Memory was tested and re-tested, then swapped. Sound card removed. All drivers updated and re-installed. Graphics card disabled in favour of on-chip video. OS reinstalled. Colossal waste of my time, considering that it's quite limited.

The epiphany came when I realised that the system was stable with just 2 slots filled, but kept crashing with 4. I searched Google for anyone experiencing this and, to my amazement, similar experience was cited by other users, only for the Gigabyte board. I tested it some more to be sure. Used the PC with just 2 RAM modules for a whole week (7 days) without a single crash. Placed the remaining two in and got a BSOD within 20 minutes, then another one.

Got back in touch with the shop that built the PC for me requesting they swap the mobo with the one I originally asked for (and actually paid for) - ASUS Z87 A. They agreed that the Gigabyte board was faulty and performed the replacement.

Not a single BSOD after using the Asus board for two days with all 4 memory sticks.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 671208
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Sorry to hear you too went through this frustrating situation. However, I'm glad you decided to add further information to this post. I'm sure others will also find it useful too.

Have you by any chance talked to gigabyte about this? I was just curious because I really haven't kept up on their products (never was a fan) but have they acknowledged any sort of issue with these boards? There's too many of them to not be noticed.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:34 PM

POST ID # = 679538
tyy Reputation: 10

I thought I'd register and add something to this too.

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP MB and Corsair Vengeance 16GB in (4 x 4GB). CPU is i7-4770K. I am running Windows 8.1.

Initially everything seemed to be good (at 1333MHz) but after I enabled the XMP profile and 1600MHz, the system crashed (BSOD) in couple of minutes.

Setting everything manually in BIOS and tweaking the voltages was the first thing I tried, that did not help.

Searching the Internet lead me here.

I have now returned to 1333MHz and though everything was good, but unfortunaltely the system still crashes, thought very rarely compared to 1600MHz. Not acceptable still.

I too think the problem is Gigabyte board, not the memories, but I have anyway ordered a different set of memories (2x8GB) to see if that make a difference. Should get them tomorrow.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:03 PM

POST ID # = 679720
tyy Reputation: 10

^Using 2xGB seemed to have solved the problem. Several hours torture testing with 1600MHz, no crashes.

New set of memory is not Corsair (it's Kingston HyperX Black), but I would not think that makes a difference. I agree with others, that it is a motherboard problem.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:12 PM
KonsG's PC Specs

POST ID # = 679726
KonsG Reputation: 10
Default Update on swapping the defective GA-Z87-D3HP

As a follow up to my original post on the 23rd of August. It's been exactly 2 months since I replaced the faulty Gigabyte motherboard with the Asus Z87A counterpart. Not a single crash since then. All four memory modules used with no stability issues.

So for all those poor souls who are having BSODs with a GA-Z87-D3HP series motherboard, you can rightfully state it's a faulty piece of trash and request a replacement. The company should issue a recall. When I get some time, I'll make a post on their forums or create an issue ticket with their support.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:09 AM

POST ID # = 691544
khesahn Reputation: 10

I know it's an old topic, but it might help some ppl anyways!

I have the same motherboard and 2x4gb of vengeance!
I tried so many things I found here and elsewhere but nothing hepled. BSODS no matter voltage or timings!

But, now everything seems for 48 hours to run with no problems.

The thing i did was: In the bios i was so annoyed with the layout i switched it to normal mode. (I belive it was f7) so it looked like an oldschool bios. Not that windows with mouse thingy! The when there I pressed load optimal settings and BAMM. Rebooted and everything is Running perfectly.

I don't know what of the two things did it. But it did the trick!

Old 01-16-2014, 12:09 PM
seanmcd's PC Specs

POST ID # = 692895
seanmcd Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonsG View Post
As a follow up to my original post on the 23rd of August. It's been exactly 2 months since I replaced the faulty Gigabyte motherboard with the Asus Z87A counterpart. Not a single crash since then. All four memory modules used with no stability issues.

So for all those poor souls who are having BSODs with a GA-Z87-D3HP series motherboard, you can rightfully state it's a faulty piece of trash and request a replacement. The company should issue a recall. When I get some time, I'll make a post on their forums or create an issue ticket with their support.
Try the new beta 8 bios for your Gigabyte Z87x board and there's a good chance you'll be back in business.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:40 PM
abn505's PC Specs

POST ID # = 693474
abn505 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by khesahn View Post

I tried so many things I found here and elsewhere but nothing hepled. BSODS no matter voltage or timings!

The thing i did was: In the bios i was so annoyed with the layout i switched it to normal mode. (I belive it was f7) so it looked like an oldschool bios. Not that windows with mouse thingy! The when there I pressed load optimal settings and BAMM. Rebooted and everything is Running perfectly.

I had a similar issue with my GA-Z87X-UD3H, BSOD due to kernel Power with a bugcheck 292. I had everything set to auto and memory on xmp profile. I called gigabyte and they had me reset the xmp in the bios in the old school bios screen and I ran 14 days without an issue, had one happen since, but it seems more stable. There must be a glitch in the HD panel view in the bios and even though it shows the correct timings, it really isn't.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:56 PM
fredy10's PC Specs

POST ID # = 739581
fredy10 Reputation: 10
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by khesahn View Post

Dude, this worked for me like a charm! I think this is the solution.

I had the same problem and i did the steps you told (old interface) and i've no problems anymore.

Thanks a lot!!!