The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Toni's PC Specs

POST ID # = 613962
Toni Reputation: 10

HU16E,

Thank you for your thorough explanation of the lot code. It is one of the numbers on the right side of SN that is made of 9 digits starting with nr 12. I got it.

Up to now, I was going in loops to find the lot code which according to RAM GUY will help to solve the problem with the mixed sticks.

Quote:
It appears that these are SN#'s and you should go by the Lot code to match the memory up as one set.
However, since the lot code is identical (just as you guessed it) on all 8 sticks then in my case the lot code becomes useless in helping me to sort the sticks out.

Why? Because just as peanutz94 and RAM GUY mentioned, respectively:

Quote:
You can NOT go by serial numbers on the modules because of the way the modules are tested and packaged they are very rearely the same or not sequential .
Quote:
In the event they are both the same you can try to match them up by the SN#'s but as mentioned they are not always sequential.
In contrary, you are assuring me that the sticks with sequential serial nr from 843242-843245 are indeed the members of one kit, which is highly suspicious to me.

If I happened to have 2 kits with same lot code but with non-consecutive or with say at most 2-3 consecutive nr out of 8 modules, then what logic should I use to determine which of those belong together?

My case, again, proves that even with 4 consecutive nr there is no guarantee that these sticks are part of one set based on your assumption, because when I memtest all 4 of them they were displaying errors. And these errors I’m assuming for now happen because of mismatched sticks. Refer to IMG_03 to see the error code of these sticks.

This error occurs when I test 4 of them together ONLY, in primary DIMM slots; DDR3_A1, DDR3_B1, DDR3_C1, and DDR3_D1. <---Labeled as such from my mobo manufacturer.

I have already tested all 8 individually with no errors as such:

843221 ----> tested in DIMM slot DDR3_A1 ----> 13 passes ----> no errors
843223 ----> tested in DIMM slot DDR3_B1 ----> 13 passes ----> no errors
843230 ----> tested in DIMM slot DDR3_C1 ----> 15 passes ----> no errors
843240 ----> tested in DIMM slot DDR3_D1 ----> 12 passes ----> no errors
843242 ----> tested in DIMM slot DDR3_A1 ----> 19 passes ----> no errors
843243 ----> tested in DIMM slot DDR3_B1 ----> 10 passes ----> no errors
843244 ----> tested in DIMM slot DDR3_C1 ----> 16 passes ----> no errors
843245 ----> tested in DIMM slot DDR3_D1 ----> 14 passes ----> no errors

I was not able to test in the secondary slots DDR3_A2, DDR3_B2, DDR3_C2, and DDR3_D2, because the machine could not boot at all if RAM was seated in any of these slots.

So at this point, for certainty, I would like someone (a lab technician possibly) to tell me which of these sticks have been tested in the lab with which and assembled as one kit. It’s important.

I would wish to try and test the same sticks in another X79 board and see if they shoot any errors on that board, but, unfortunately, I do not have one on my side available atm. Maybe a local PC shop will make me this favor….I dunno, I have to find out.

Update: I ran memtest again after I reseated all the same 4 sticks 843242-843245 in the primary slots and now the first error appeared right on the first pass. I’ll leave it run overnight and see if I get more errors, but maybe pointless.

As a side note: It appears the error has the same pattern as the error on the first test (IMG_03 in my first post) and occurs at the same density, 13532.0 MB. Can someone interpret which of the modules and in what slot is giving me the error?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_05.JPG (750.6 KB, 209 views)

Old 11-16-2012, 05:57 PM
HU16E's PC Specs

POST ID # = 613977
HU16E Reputation: 10

This is my personal opinion about this. peanutz94 statement is a bit misleading about not being able to go by serial numbers. If they are 'sequential', 'consecutive', I would almost bet my life on them being a matched & tested together kit. I hope that helps make your decision on how to RMA which 4 sticks. I guess I just need you to trust me on this. I pulled out over a dozen Corsair RAM kits, that's all I own btw, & every kit other than a few low voltage low profile kits I have are sequential/consecutive serial numbered. Some of my Corsair sticks don't have serial numbers at all. In that case, the only thing to go by would be a batch/lot number or maybe revision if they ever got mixed up. Since mixing RAM is 'not' recommended, confusing kits wouldn't be an issue. No insult intended.

Just a few Corsair kits in the hobby/test room arsenal;

Last edited by HU16E; 11-16-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 614004
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Quote:
As a side note: It appears the error has the same pattern as the error on the first test (IMG_03 in my first post) and occurs at the same density, 13532.0 MB. Can someone interpret which of the modules and in what slot is giving me the error?
A: No that is not possible because of bank interleave it is impossible to tell which physical module is failing.

Quote:
Update: I ran memtest again after I reseated all the same 4 sticks 843242-843245 in the primary slots and now the first error appeared right on the first pass. I’ll leave it run overnight and see if I get more errors, but maybe pointless.
A: That seems reasonable but I would test the other modules and see if you get the same error.

Quote:
So at this point, for certainty, I would like someone (a lab technician possibly) to tell me which of these sticks have been tested in the lab with which and assembled as one kit. It’s important.
A: I am sorry but that is not possible either, I would suggest requesting an RMA on Both sets either from the reseller and if its the reseller purchase a 64 Gig matched set to solve the issue. If the reseller will not or cannot help you then please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can ask if our customer can do anything to help. However the only 64 Gig set are Domionator Platinum and you may have to use a different CPU cooler. Normally we are not able to change to another part number in an RMA but you are welcome to ask

Quote:
In contrary, you are assuring me that the sticks with sequential serial nr from 843242-843245 are indeed the members of one kit, which is highly suspicious to me.

If I happened to have 2 kits with same lot code but with non-consecutive or with say at most 2-3 consecutive nr out of 8 modules, then what logic should I use to determine which of those belong together?
A: As I have stated all along in many different posts here on our forum we do not officially support mixing sets you can do this some times it does not work that is why we offer matched sets at a rated speed. In some cases it will work but they have to be installed in the correct slots so they are not miss matched. We tried to help you match the modules but there is no exact science to this it is up to you to match them when you install the modules.

And HU16E
The SN#'s are not always sequential they can be but not always in fact on some parts the SN# is added after the part is packaged and no SN# is on the module it self.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 11-16-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:24 AM
Toni's PC Specs

POST ID # = 614051

Quote:
we do not officially support mixing sets
Suppose, I’m an employee in a PC shop. Let say I have 2 PC’s to assemble for 2 different customers. One customer, named John, wants 32 GB LP kit installed in his PC-01. The other customer, named Charlie, wants the same 32 GB LP kit installed in his PC-02. I begin to assemble these 2 PC’s inside the shop in the same desk at the same time, because both customers have given me a short deadline and they want both computers to get ready to ship out by the same time.

Now, I open both RAM boxes and place the sticks UNMIXED near each PC and leave them unattended for a while because someone has called me outside. When I come back to the shop to continue my work I find that someone (a colleague of mine) has pushed “my stuff” in one pile to make room in that same desk for doing his own job. As you imagine, all Corsair sticks now mixed. I decide to randomly group them together, because I can’t tell which is which, here. I finish assembling my PC’s and put this for testing before shipping to customers.

While testing I see both PC have errors because sticks from one set are mixed from another. I know what is the reason (mixed sets) but I can’t revert the accident anymore because I don’t know which stick form one set is mixed with the other one. The deadline is approaching and my vendor exchanges if the product is proven to be defective, ONLY. So now I’m out of luck and in big trouble. Deadline has passed and my customers have started a legal case against me and now I’m in the brink of bankruptcy just because of a damn accident. How unlucky a person has to be to go through this?

I‘m just slightly a little better than this, though. My work has started to pile up and I’m wasting my time troubleshooting in void at this point.

Not officially supporting mixed sets sounds acceptable to me from a technical point of view but denying my right to want to group my sticks back together to their respective kits after I have paid BIG money for it is not good business practice, in my opinion.

Such as arguing:
Quote:
We tried to help you match the modules but there is no exact science to this it is up to you to match them.
And I don’t agree, it is not exact science. Indeed it is. If you tell me Match.com is not exact science when people are matched, I would believe you on that big time, but telling me RAM match is not exact science?!!!!.

Sorry about my rant here , but if you were in my situation, you would feel a little pissed just as I do now for not being able to revert such a stupid and mindless accident of mine back to the day I opened those damn boxes.

Quote:
I would suggest requesting an RMA on Both sets either from the reseller and if its the reseller purchase a 64 Gig matched set to solve the issue. If the reseller will not or cannot help you then please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can ask if our customer can do anything to help
RAM GUY thank you for the suggestion. I wanted it to be my last resort since RMA is costly too, in time and money (shipping & handling and possible custom duty charges), but as I can see I have already hit the wall with the troubleshooting thing .

The only problem is I need to wait “maybe” till Corsair starts to ship kits of 8 LP sticks from their facility. And the Dominator Platinum may or may not be an option for exchange as you mentioned, right?

And by the way RAM GUY, why are you writing in bold…..?????

At HU16E

Quote:
I would almost bet my life on them being a matched & tested together kit.
Ohhhh, c’mon HU16E. Don’t bet your life on that. My issues with earthly matters are NEVER as important as one’s life . It's just a toy that is acting funny on me and it is trying to test my patience. I’ll overcome.

Quote:
I guess I just need you to trust me on this.
Well, with all due respect I can’t trust you unless you give me a plausible argument why those belong to a kit, besides telling me they ARE sequential/consecutive.

Again, thank you all for trying to help with this.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:58 AM
Toni's PC Specs

POST ID # = 614055

Quote:
That seems reasonable but I would test the other modules and see if you get the same error.
Good point RAM GUY!!! I'll test those tomorrow, since I decided to let the test on current ones run overnight.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Toni's PC Specs

POST ID # = 617395

********UPDATE*******

“But I didn't know until this day that it was the mainboard all along!!!”

I suspected that the board was the next thing to look at, and lucky me the MB manufacturer has released a NEW BIOS update just at the right time. I flashed the BIOS to 1.9 and now to 2.1 ver. immediately and ran memtest again to see if that fixed my issue and it did, thankfully.

I ran memtest again on both groups of RAM separately (I refuse to call them kits for obvious reasons) after BIOS update for a full 8 and 6 passes respectively and both of them passed with no errors. I then populated all DIMM slots with both groups at the same time and ran memtest again for a full 8 passes without errors. So all 8 of them seem to coexist with no conflicts so far and, practically, I have had no freezes or lockups on my machine since.

However it still bugs me a little that I can't know for sure which of them make a set (as per manufacturer) for RMA purposes only, in case if smth breaks along the way...Hopefully NOT.

Now, as I mentioned I wanted to OC this beast CPU for a 24/7 setup. But I couldn't go more than 4.2 Ghz OC maintaining healthy parameters for longevity such as safe range of voltages and temps as per Intel recommendation. It seems like an average chip.

Safe voltage for this CPU range from 0.600 - 1.350v per Intel spec. Mine never exceeds 1.256v with all Power Savings features ON. TCASE is 66.8°C, and mine never exceeded 65 max core temp under full load stable for 12 hrs in Prime95 and IBT. Meanwhile my RAM settings were left at default in the BIOS:

CPUZ displaying:

DRAM Frequency 666.7 Mhz x2 = 1333Mhz

Latency:

9-9-9-24

Command Rate: 2T

Then I tested again with IBT, at first, after I switched RAM settings to XMP 1.3 Profile 1 in BIOS and noticed that the speed (GFlops) droped by half as much.

AIDA64 memory and cache benchmarking read also lower results. XMP1.3 sets my RAM to 1600 Mhz at 10-10-10-27 and 2T per manufacturer and the outcome I suppose should have been better than with BIOS default frequency and timings. Indeed it is the opposite.

So, why higher frequency but loose timings makes the benchmarking show poorer results?

Should I attempt to set frequency and timings manually at 1600 and 10-10-10-27?

How much OC headroom will this type of RAM allow if I want to tighten the timings a bit like 1600 and 9-9-9-24, will it support it?

Edit: I tried to set the timings ONLY at 9-9-9-24 manually while the XMP profile was active and tested the new settings with memtest and it was throwing tons of errors. Increased DRAM voltage to 1.545v and tested again but no luck, same thing. So I reverted back to XMP 1.3 factory settings.

Tried changing ONLY the timings from BIOS default, to 8-8-8-24 and looks stable so far, with every RAM and IMC voltages to default. Benchmarking now shows better results than with all parameters to BIOS default for RAM settings, but by a very small margin though.

<<<<<See IMG_05>>>>>>

Are there any other settings I should try to make my RAM run at factory frequency or higher that yields better results than the ones I already tried?

Any input is very much appreciated and thank you again for all your help, guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_05.jpg (340.4 KB, 186 views)

Old 12-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 617516
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Quote:
So, why higher frequency but loose timings makes the benchmarking show poorer results?
Looser timings probably. But a benchmark may not reflect real world performance.
Quote:
Should I attempt to set frequency and timings manually at 1600 and 10-10-10-27?
It's not going to hurt anything. The worst that would happenis it would be unstable. You really cant damage the modules that way

Quote:
How much OC headroom will this type of RAM allow if I want to tighten the timings a bit like 1600 and 9-9-9-24, will it support it?
There is absolutely no way to tell other than try and see what you can get out of them. Every set will OC differently just like a CPU or mainboard.