The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 01:43 AM
Stroodle88's PC Specs

POST ID # = 517663
Stroodle88 Reputation: 10

I've now had two BSOD-free nights with the Corsair 240GB Force 3 SSD on a dedicated SATA power cable. No other changes have been made except this.

I've double checked the hard drive power settings; indeed, the hard drives are set to go to sleep in 20 minutes (the default) and I have not changed this since I first loaded Windows 7 x64.

- Is the hard drive powering-down a desired behavior for me? Yes, yes it is.
- Does the Corsair drive BSOD with other drives attached on the same SATA power line? Yes, yes it does.
- Has it BSOD'ed when I put it on its own dedicated SATA power line? Not yet. Continuing to monitor, but it's looking pretty good.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:51 AM
Stroodle88's PC Specs

POST ID # = 517668
Stroodle88 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasted View Post
Did you leave the computer on sleep for a period of time? eg 4-9hours?

It may be windows turning off the hard disks and the SSDS are thinking that they are shutting down.

Try and disable "Turn off hard disk after"
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options
Select your plan
Change Advanced settings
Hard Disk>Turn off hard disk after>Setting: never.

please provide a Minidump file archived in a .zip
If the SSD thinks that it is shutting down, then I would expect it to shut down. Regardless, the Windows power settings were never changed. Hard drives were set to go to sleep once inactive for 20 minutes. Windows was set to never go to sleep.

In both situations, let's assume that the SSD goes to sleep.
Situation 1: SSD on SATA power cable with other drives that go to sleep.
Situation 2: SSD on dedicated power cable that still goes to sleep.

Result 1: BSOD after leaving computer on, waking up to find undetected drive.
Result 2: No BSOD, all appears normal.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:46 AM

POST ID # = 517672
Toasted Toasted Reputation: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroodle88 View Post
If the SSD thinks that it is shutting down, then I would expect it to shut down. Regardless, the Windows power settings were never changed. Hard drives were set to go to sleep once inactive for 20 minutes. Windows was set to never go to sleep.

In both situations, let's assume that the SSD goes to sleep.
Situation 1: SSD on SATA power cable with other drives that go to sleep.
Situation 2: SSD on dedicated power cable that still goes to sleep.

Result 1: BSOD after leaving computer on, waking up to find undetected drive.
Result 2: No BSOD, all appears normal.
If moving the SSD to a dedicated power cable has worked for you then you wouldn't need to change the windows setting.SSD these days consume a small amount of power so it is better not to sleep them while the system is sleeping. although this is not a permanent solution as we are still trying to find some other ways that may cause the problem.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Maria
MariaH79's PC Specs

POST ID # = 517744
MariaH79 Reputation: 10

Gave up on the onboard intel had turned off hdd sleep, didnt help also tried most other stuff in this thread. when the audio distortion came around i had enough...
On a highpoint controller atm with two marvell controllers on it... i think current onboards intel controllerīs dont like SSDīs or
the SSDīs dont like the intel cause marvell are rock stable with em on (even with 2 SSDīs and 2 HDDīs on same power cable and sleep works fine).
Thou i decided i wont wait until ivy thou, ill think ill try one o intelīs 6G SAS/Sata3 raid controller cards. Hopefully their high end products wont have same problem

Edit: Just an idea, going to wait myself until i get the intel 6g controller card.. but maybe somethin others can try:>
-If u raid on the onboard intel using RAID mode thru bios, i think u then need to set the onboard marvell to ACHI or disable it to make stuff stable (havent tried myself)
-If u raid on the onboard marvell, i think u then need to set the onboard intel to ACHI (havent tried myself)

When i do run raid on my current highpoint controller with two marvellīs on it, i must disconnect all drives from all other controllers before installing windows. But most important the intel controller have to be in ACHI mode when i put the cables for the drivers back into it and start windows. Onboard marvell is disabled to avoid conflict with the marvellīs on the raid controller. No vansihing SSDīs and honestly no problems for about 3 days now.

Last edited by MariaH79; 08-05-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Forgot something:p

Old 08-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 517851
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

UPDATED FIRMWARE AVAILABLE VERSION 1.3

Old 08-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Maria
MariaH79's PC Specs

POST ID # = 517885

Awesome going to check it out right away
Hope this solves stuff for all with these problems

Old 08-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 517886
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaH79 View Post
Awesome going to check it out right away
Hope this solves stuff for all with these problems
So do we and we value your feedback

Old 08-05-2011, 07:23 PM

POST ID # = 517914

Quote:
Gave up on the onboard intel had turned off hdd sleep, didnt help also tried most other stuff in this thread. when the audio distortion came around i had enough...
On a highpoint controller atm with two marvell controllers on it... i think current onboards intel controllerīs dont like SSDīs or
the SSDīs dont like the intel cause marvell are rock stable with em on (even with 2 SSDīs and 2 HDDīs on same power cable and sleep works fine).
Thou i decided i wont wait until ivy thou, ill think ill try one o intelīs 6G SAS/Sata3 raid controller cards. Hopefully their high end products wont have same problem

Edit: Just an idea, going to wait myself until i get the intel 6g controller card.. but maybe somethin others can try:>
-If u raid on the onboard intel using RAID mode thru bios, i think u then need to set the onboard marvell to ACHI or disable it to make stuff stable (havent tried myself)
-If u raid on the onboard marvell, i think u then need to set the onboard intel to ACHI (havent tried myself)

When i do run raid on my current highpoint controller with two marvellīs on it, i must disconnect all drives from all other controllers before installing windows. But most important the intel controller have to be in ACHI mode when i put the cables for the drivers back into it and start windows. Onboard marvell is disabled to avoid conflict with the marvellīs on the raid controller. No vansihing SSDīs and honestly no problems for about 3 days now.
If you have it on the Intel Controller. then i may suggest you to install Intel Rapid Storage Technology. At first it did cause some instability but now i think it helps some issues

Old 08-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Maria
MariaH79's PC Specs

POST ID # = 518098

Pc been on 12 hour sleep and no BSOD
Installing firmware was rather easy, nice easy prog

My ForceGT SSDīs are now in RAID on the onboard Intel and Raptor HDDīs in IDE mode on the onboard Marvell.

I did get the audio distortion again and SSD performance seemd alittle bouncy but it seems to have vansihed when i put
the SSDīs on its own powercable like Stroodle88 mention earlier in this thread.
(Think also the way HDDīs get power is makin the SSDīs unstable if connected to same powercable, I guess SSDīs have
very stable voltage with little variation. Not just when hittin sleep and so on but also when comp is in use).
Will continue test for audio distortion, latency and sleep mode when possible but for now all seems good

@Toasted: Always installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology

Last edited by MariaH79; 08-06-2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Forgot:P

Old 08-07-2011, 01:20 AM

POST ID # = 518234

Quote:
Pc been on 12 hour sleep and no BSOD
Installing firmware was rather easy, nice easy prog

My ForceGT SSDīs are now in RAID on the onboard Intel and Raptor HDDīs in IDE mode on the onboard Marvell.

I did get the audio distortion again and SSD performance seemd alittle bouncy but it seems to have vansihed when i put
the SSDīs on its own powercable like Stroodle88 mention earlier in this thread.
(Think also the way HDDīs get power is makin the SSDīs unstable if connected to same powercable, I guess SSDīs have
very stable voltage with little variation. Not just when hittin sleep and so on but also when comp is in use).
Will continue test for audio distortion, latency and sleep mode when possible but for now all seems good

@Toasted: Always installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology
Thanks for the info.

So you put the ssds on a dedicated power connector but they caused audio distortion. Have you tried lowering the Default Format in the sound properties?

Control Panel/Sound/playback/Properties/Advanced/16 bit, 48000hz (DVD Quality). try that if it still occurs then try lower it where do you get the sound distortion in Music? Movies? Games? or windows eg. start up?

Once you mentioned the dedicated power it did get me thinking that the Mechanical drives that up most of the voltage the PSU is supplying to that cable. So it may be the cause of problem with the SSDS dropping out from sleep or from the windows installation. Ill give it a test by using the 4 sata connector from the bag and plugging my raid force F40, dvd drive and the mechanical drive. ill also reset my power settings ans give this a go.

Again Thank you MariaH79 & Stroodle88

Old 08-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Maria
MariaH79's PC Specs

POST ID # = 518397
Smile

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

So you put the ssds on a dedicated power connector but they caused audio distortion. Have you tried lowering the Default Format in the sound properties?

Control Panel/Sound/playback/Properties/Advanced/16 bit, 48000hz (DVD Quality). try that if it still occurs then try lower it where do you get the sound distortion in Music? Movies? Games? or windows eg. start up?

Once you mentioned the dedicated power it did get me thinking that the Mechanical drives that up most of the voltage the PSU is supplying to that cable. So it may be the cause of problem with the SSDS dropping out from sleep or from the windows installation. Ill give it a test by using the 4 sata connector from the bag and plugging my raid force F40, dvd drive and the mechanical drive. ill also reset my power settings ans give this a go.

Again Thank you MariaH79 & Stroodle88
BSOD free from sleep again today btw

Different or same powercable on SSDīs or HDDīs seem unrelated to the audio distortion.
Actually Audio distortion seems to come around, when i play a game while a media player (any) plays music in the background (odd bit is it sounds like its only the music itself). Its very random, but more frequent when i also download something.
Noticed also when i download latency get alittle worse and random small spikes come up. It came back last night but didnt have much time to look at it until today.
Tried lower format and same result.
Thought i test if any my SSD windows tweaks was causeing this, first i tried was setting prefetch and superfetch in reg back to normal, also i set superfetch service back to normal.
Odd stuff but the audio distortion is gone, tried for some hours to provoke it. I got some small latency spikes still but their within the safe zone
Tried turn Superfetch service off only ,but audio distortion came back so i turned it back on again.

Note:
-SSDīs are connected to the onboard Intel 3G controller and HDDīs to the onboard Marvell 6G controller.
-I also got audio distortion when all was connected to the Intel only.
-I didnt get audio distortion or latency when SSDīs was connected to the highpoint 640 raid controller card and HDDīs was connected to the onboard Intel.
-I havent had audio distortion before i added SSDīs.

I also noticed that ATTO gives low reads on one test, rest seem fine. Did a few runs but same result

Old 08-08-2011, 02:23 AM

POST ID # = 518478

try to update your chipset drivers.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Maria
MariaH79's PC Specs

POST ID # = 518541

Quote:
try to update your chipset drivers.
Using atm
-Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (Chipset INF)
-Product Detected: IntelŪ 6, 5, 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets
-Current Version Installed: 9.2.0.1030
-This version is valid.

-Wired Networking
-Product Detected: Intel(R) 82567V-2 based Network Controller(OEM)
-Current Driver Installed: 10.1.9.0
-Your driver is current.

-Intel Rapid Storage Tech is : 10.6.0.1002 (Installed using those marked 10.6.0.1022 "iata_enu_10.6.0.1022.exe")

Note: BSOD free from sleep today too, no audio stutter after i turned Superfetch back on.
Random small latency spikes when downloadin something, only noticed lookin at DPC latency checker.

Last edited by MariaH79; 08-08-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Addin one thing:p

Old 08-09-2011, 02:10 AM

POST ID # = 518820

Quote:
Using atm
-Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (Chipset INF)
-Product Detected: IntelŪ 6, 5, 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets
-Current Version Installed: 9.2.0.1030
-This version is valid.

-Wired Networking
-Product Detected: Intel(R) 82567V-2 based Network Controller(OEM)
-Current Driver Installed: 10.1.9.0
-Your driver is current.

-Intel Rapid Storage Tech is : 10.6.0.1002 (Installed using those marked 10.6.0.1022 "iata_enu_10.6.0.1022.exe")

Note: BSOD free from sleep today too, no audio stutter after i turned Superfetch back on.
Random small latency spikes when downloadin something, only noticed lookin at DPC latency checker.

Can you try and turn off Superfetch. Does the Audio shutter happen again? have you tried installing new sound drivers?

Can you please explain the small latency spikes? like what does it do?

Old 08-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Maria
MariaH79's PC Specs

POST ID # = 519124

Quote:
Can you try and turn off Superfetch. Does the Audio shutter happen again? have you tried installing new sound drivers?

Can you please explain the small latency spikes? like what does it do?
-First i did was turn on both prefetch and superfetch thru reg and then turned on the superfetch service. after that i did try turn off service but the audio stutter came back then. Will have a go after this thou

-Usualy i try have the latest drivers and evrything updated. I do use SRS Audio Sandbox to get better sound but i didnt have any audio stutter before adding the SSDīs and i also have same drivers as then since it aint that long ago

[Found DPC Latency Checker to be very nice to find if the SSDīs runs stable or something stalls or what not. U can provoke latency spikes if something is set wrong and u run a benchmark or do something that starts alot o traffic thru the onboard controllers, but u rarely can provoke em if evrything is ok. Not even my HDDīs could provoke latency and i checked before while lookin for unstable "drivers or hw parts".]

-I have now SSDīs on the onboard intel and HDDīs on the onboard marvell, with superfetch on all seem ok except small latency spikes specialy when downloading or doing something that start alot o traffic thru the onboards controllers. With superfetch off they get alittle worse and i also get the random audio stutter, usualy affecting music in the background while playing a game and this has never happen before.
When i had evrything on the onboard intel i got the random audio stutter again.
When i had the SDDīs on the Highpoint 640 controller card and the HDDīs on the onboard intel. i could turn off superfetch and evrything was ok even latency didnt have any small spikes