The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 04:47 PM

POST ID # = 439440
Sofa King Reputation: 10
Default "enhanced" secure erase?

I went to do a secure erase with pmagic, it asked if I would like to do "enhanced" secure erase, saying it uses mfg specs to set to original specs. Do I want to use the "enhanced" secure erase or not?

Old 02-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 439771
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Yes if it has that option then you should select it.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:13 PM

POST ID # = 440531
Sofa King Reputation: 10

Great, thanks.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:15 PM
katolink's PC Specs

POST ID # = 482310
katolink Reputation: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to katolink
Default Normal Secure Erase vs. Enhanced Secure Erase?

What is the difference between a normal (regular) secure erase and an enhanced secure erase? Any particularities re Force series SSDs, ie is enhanced secure erase supported? Parted Magic/Ubuntu tools report that it is not enabled. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:03 AM
Synbios's PC Specs

POST ID # = 482338
Synbios Reputation: 10
Send a message via AIM to Synbios

Quote:
Originally Posted by katolink View Post
What is the difference between a normal (regular) secure erase and an enhanced secure erase? Any particularities re Force series SSDs, ie is enhanced secure erase supported? Parted Magic/Ubuntu tools report that it is not enabled. Thanks in advance.
You should direct this question to the Parted Magic team.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:09 AM
goscuter1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 545945
goscuter1 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synbios View Post
You should direct this question to the Parted Magic team.
Sorry, I'm very confused. Why would Parted Magic (a software Linux distribution) have any insight into Corsair's hardware product functionality?

I have no interest in consulting with Parted Magic about Corsair products; can I not consult with Corsair about the functionality of their products?

My question is identical to the OP's; however I have no interest in using Parted Magic's utility anymore because I've been using it all year to 'secure' and 'enhance secure' erase my other SSDs. It always claimed to do this successfully (with some sleep and freeze fiddling along the way). One day in October, I used another utility that allowed my "walking" through the drive - I wanted to determine whether I should be using the Secure erase or Enhanced erase commands. Enhanced erase was amazing, for my INTEL SSDs. The inferior (ostensibly redundant?) Secure Erase command was effectively a joke (by comparison). Curious, I used Parted Magic's utility and then walked through the drives.

For one year, Parted Magic's utility has been reporting successful Secure erase and Enhanced erasures of my 50 or so SSDs. For one year, Parted Magic didn't even touch the partitioning - I have confirmed this about 100 times in disbelief. 'Successful' Enhanced Erase > old partitioning, old corrupted data remaining on the 'erased' SSD. I'm assuming write-protected, yay for encryption! But I understand, this world wants to protect their important photos and lurid communications and so-forth.

But back to Parted Magic, I'll pass. That's why I came looking for the manufacturer's utility. I didn't expect to find one that would work on Linux or Mac (Intel haven't 'advanced' to that stage either, their SSD Toolbox is only for Windows).

I didn't expect, however, to read the above quoted response. This is the official line from Corsair? That we must consult 3rd party software utility providers in regards to Corsair hardware functionality?