The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Andysocial's PC Specs

POST ID # = 457843
Andysocial Reputation: 10
Default Very warm room

My PC's been downstairs in the living room since installing the H50 and even though my CPU is now running at 3.85Ghz my CPU temp is usually around 27 - 28 degrees, never hitting anything higher than 49 degrees even after hours of rendering in Terragen 2 with the CPU flat out.

I'm now getting moaned at by the Mrs to move the PC back upstairs but the room it's to go into gets very hot in the summer. This will undoubtedly affect my temps...

I had an idea the other night whilst having a drink (lol) and wonder if it might help if I created some sort of ducting (probably using some new tumble-dryer exhaust ducting or similar to pull cooler air from outside into the PC?) Obviously this would need some sort of filter so my PC doesn't end up full of crap and dead flies etc...

Has anyone else out there done anything similar to this? Or do you think this is a stupid idea?

Old 07-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 457844
Wired Reputation: 32

Seen it done before, some dude in Alaska did it :)
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 07-19-2010, 10:44 AM
de
dbe425's PC Specs

POST ID # = 457925
dbe425 Reputation: 10

Just keep in mind that if the air in your case is cooler than the air outside your case, you may get condensation. Water and PCs don't mix!

Old 07-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Andysocial's PC Specs

POST ID # = 458271
Andysocial Reputation: 10

I daresay the air outside the case will be cooler than that inside it. The Radeon card I have dumps a tremendous amount of hot air into the case as it's an overclocked card. So hot (over 50 degrees just displaying the desktop), it will burn the fingers of any of anyone dumb enough to touch it after a decent run on Crysis at very high settings. I had to do a bit of case-cutting to mount a 120mm exhaust right by the graphics card to combat this. My H-50 is pulling cooler air from outside the case and these is a 120mm intake mounted in the front of the case.