The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 353936
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

With an Intel Chipset the memory frequency will not be able to be set to more than 1-1 IE if the CPU FSB is set to 1333 then the fastest memory speed will be DDR1333.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:06 PM
NicholasDX48BT2's PC Specs

POST ID # = 353939
NicholasDX48BT2 Reputation: 10

sorry, in my previous post, replace "RAM my board" by "RMA (return) my board"

Old 06-18-2008, 01:13 PM

POST ID # = 353941

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
With an Intel Chipset the memory frequency will not be able to be set to more than 1-1 IE if the CPU FSB is set to 1333 then the fastest memory speed will be DDR1333.
I see...indeed...and Mortimer's memory is also 1.8V. I tried Corsair 1.5V and 1.7V memory, same bug.

I just don't know what to think now because there is conflicting info.
Mortimer -- if you're sure you did the test I described and still get no message, then there's a bug or a defective board with both the guy at Intel and my board?!

Old 06-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 353942

O.K. NP!

Old 06-18-2008, 01:29 PM

POST ID # = 353951

Thanks Ram Guy.

Well, at this point, I still don't know what to think. Mortimer, as I described in my previous post, do you think you could also do the test of disconnecting the power supply from the AC outlet, then press the PC power button for 20 seconds to make sure it's completely de-energized, and still get no cycling/POST error message?

I will also try to see if I can be able to reach the same guy at Intel to get further explanations...

Old 06-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 353956

We can try replacing the modules if you like but from what you have posted I would suspect some other problem.
Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:16 PM

POST ID # = 353977

Thanks -- I've done more testing on the memory. Two sticks test fine with Memtest for hours and hours (>10 hrs), more than 12 passes, on any slot. The third one, exact same model and all, gives errors within two minutes if plugged alone in the motherboard, on the same slot or any other, at any settings. I've rerun the tests with other memory, fine, no issues. So I do have one defective memory stick for sure....

It still leaves the bug of my motherboard first cold boot...I'm waiting on input/help from Mortimer again if possible ;o) (and others if you would like to share ;o) to decide if it is really a bug with the BIOS or my specific configuration, or a defective motherboard...

Old 06-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Mortimer Blake's PC Specs

POST ID # = 353988
Mortimer Blake Reputation: 10

Nicholas,

I did, what you asked me for:
- shut don the pc
- unplug AC Cable
- Press Power Button 20 secs
- plug AC Cable
- Press Power Button

But did not have any issues. System booted completely without any messages.

My System is running at 1333MHz, because i cannot push the memory to 1600MHz.

My BIOS settings are quite simple: I loaded the default settings and changed the drive configuration from IDE to RAID.

to RAM-GUY: Thanks for the hint . (I really tried that first...)
But strangely pushing the CPU to 3.2 / 1600 and leaving the RAM options to default, the BIOS boots until the Post Message ("The system BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)..."). If I change the RAM speed and latency timings, I get the on-off-cycles.

I made some screenshots of the different SPD Information and attached them here.

Mortimer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slot1.jpg (41.1 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg slot2.jpg (44.2 KB, 300 views)

Old 06-18-2008, 04:46 PM

POST ID # = 353993

Mortimer,

Thank you again so much for doing the tests!!! This confirms, on the contrary to what the guy at Intel said, that there is an unsuccessful post on my board. Why that would happen only on a cold boot and fine afterwards, even though the settings are not changed and remain the same, whether it's all defaults or not, I don't understand. Plus the guy at Intel did seem surprised of the result he saw when I told him what to do on his board, he did seem to see the same bug, so I don't think he was lying when he said he got the message too.

No I can't conclude yet because I don't have the exact same memory and processor as you...Just to clarify, if you set the CPU to 3.2/1600 MHZ, do you get the cycle on/off with the POST unsuccessful message just after that, but subsequent reboots are fine? On a cold boot? Or always and it just doesn't work?

Old 06-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Mortimer Blake's PC Specs

POST ID # = 354000
Mortimer Blake Reputation: 10

I just can't push the CPU to 3.2 / 1600. Maybe its a "bad" sample which has no overclocking capabilities... I think the BIOS on-off cycle is normal as this is an overclocking attempt / failure. As for the default configuration the system is stable. None of your problems are showing up...

I also have my complete computer configuration listed on my profile. Just complete your profile, so i or anybody else can have a look on yours and give some thoughts... (Maybe its the power supply?)

I am glad i could help!

Mortimer

Old 06-19-2008, 12:30 AM

POST ID # = 354064

I've just udpated my profile...The problem is I tried removing everything from the motherboard to test the issue - even the graphics card since you can boot without -- same cycling issue. With a new power supply from a different brand, 650W, and only the processor Q9300, a different memory stick tested OK (1333 Mhz 1.5V, and another at 1.7V, and tried down to 800 MHz too), and just the graphics card and CPU fan, the same message appears.

***** I've got some news though!! Since the results from your test, Mortimer, and the fact that I did not believe anymore in the Watchdog explanation from the tech at Intel (if I disable it, then on the first boot after power, fans come on but the screen stays blank -- I have to press the button off, then on and it boots normally)... I decided to call Intel again.

I got another tech support guy, I explained the situation, and the fact that some other people did the same test and did not find the bug/issue with a POST failure on boot, etc, and was wondering if the tech yesterday really got the error or what's happening here?! He went to a PC with that motherboard, and said that he did the test but got no error?! So I asked him to re-do the test, but really make sure to wait long enough after disconnecting from AC power. He redid the test, and...got the same bug as I did! He said it was the same board as the other tech used yesterday, with 1333 MHz memory, Q9450. He said his board wasn't faulty, they had it for a while, even the release, no problem, and they have the udpated BIOS. So then he said he would do some tests and call me back. 30 minutes later, he called me back, and said that he talked with other tech guys, and he did 10-12 reboots after removing the power for 2 minutes exactly every time. of those tests, he actually got the message only a couple of times, not every time...! And there was a problem somewhere indeed. On my PC though, I did see a normal boot very very occasionaly over the course of my 30+ tests, but I initially thought it was when I did not remove power long enough after the LED light went off...well maybe not then. Maybe indeed it's random like on his PC. He DID confirm he saw the bug I mentioned.

He also explained that he thought it might be an issue related to standby power. With the power plugged there is standby power. Unplugged, you remove it, and replug you reapply it, and maybe at that time when you start it initially does't request/get enough power from the power supply, hence POST failure. Also, I noticed how my fans start on high instead of low, controlled by mobo on a normal boot.

His explanation could make sense because, the guy on Tom's hardware having issue, along with the review I found on Newegg (if they are really seeing the same issue), the guy at Intel, and myself, ALL have Quad Cores processor new generation 45 nm and 1333 MHz memory. Mortimer has a dual core processor.

Anwyay, the guy at Intel said that at this point they needed to investigate further and they will re-contact me in about a week. Well, I may then have found a bug in Intel's board then! Do I get anything for that ;o) At least I hope it's not because of the configuration or faulty mobos.

** Another update regarding my PC: I've since then changed my memory, re-tested it for a long long time, with no errors this time. Re-installed Windows, drivers, etc. no problems. Rebooted a few times, tested music, video, Internet, etc. After 2 hours, I decided to re-install Norton (from the Bank Of America trial file..starts with a few words in spanish by the way when extracting the archive ?!)....finishes installation fine this time and reboots (last time it crashed, but I know one memory stick was bad). After that, installation complete, time to register to activate...CRASH. Compete screen freeze. Now I'm suspicious....OK, I've replaced one bad memory stick, but tested the new one for over 8hrs over 12 passes fine. What's going on NOW?! So, I uninstalled. My problems with the PC before happened only when I installed Norton. All freezes where during Norton, and although the 3rd install was OK, display driver not responding etc happened afterwards.

So I begin to think that Norton is a piece of...unless I do have another issue with my PC. It starts to be a lot when I, on purpose, chose the best components by leading and reliable companies, with all good reviews...well except for Norton (although it's recommended by PCMag, PC World, etc etc). I know I should have gone with ESET NOD32, Kaspersky etc.

So now I'm waiting on an update from Intel, and will test my PC for crashes. If no crashes, then Norton was the issue.

SUMMARY (for anyone considering a similar configuration ;o)
- Intel (DX48BT2): leading company, US-based tons of support and documentation and engineers, developing their own processors and chipsets, known for professional solutions and reliability: at least one BUG found, on their best motherboard, with udpated BIOS. (I know I didn't want to be a beta tester and wanted the older D975, but now it's out of stock, so I trusted Intel to deliver a reliable bug-free product, especially when chosing ALL standard components all at default settings). Well, I may also have a defective mobo
- Corsair DDR3 1333MHz XMS3, DHX: one bad stick found. Getting replaced.
- Corsair 620HX: minor comment, but the first power supply fan made a rattling noise; exchanged, the new one is fine.
- Norton: complete PC crash...unless it's my mobo.

Wow. Wasn't nearly expecting that much issues for sure. All my previous PCs were trouble free (over 5 PCs assembled before no issues!!)

Old 06-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 354132

There are a few threads about this MB and some good information that you may find useful if you have not seen in already.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:50 AM

POST ID # = 354290

Thanks for the link! I did see that post previously and some other links, it does seem that there are a couple of bugs to be resolved...However, in bother his case and mine, there was a defective memory module to be replaced.

My new memory modules work fine, no errors. The heat sperader with DHX technology keep them cool, as long as I have two sticks only. With four, it gets really hot, despite all my case fans (if you use fours, then sticks side-by-side on the mobo are close together). Two, they are barely warm.

Other the cold boot bug to be resolved by Intel (they have "escalated my case" and are doing testing in addition to the 10+ tests they did for me the other day). Note that the tech guy said: "we'll get back to you within a week regarding this issue that we confirmed and warrants further investigation...hum I meant this "behaviour", not "issue", there's no issue." Ah ah ah!!!!

Every thing else worked fine: normal boots are all OK, no issue with detecting the RAM and settings, nothing to change in the BIOS really, installed Vista no issue whatsoever.

I also confirmed the issue with Norton. Even on a clean install, crashed my PC. I installed McAfee as a test -- no problems whatsoever, no computer crashes, no issues in the Event Log. I've done a few burn-in tests, no issue, but I have to continue testing a little longer so that it is actually meaningful.

So withing a week I'll have answers and hopefully confirm that Intel will have a fix for the cold boot bug or tell me that it's fine, ignore it, and confirm that my PC crashes were due to my defective RAM module and Norton.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 354326

OK Great thread and thanks for keeping it up to date.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:59 AM
forbi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 356549
forbi Reputation: 10

Hi,

I'm also getting the Unsuccessful POST attempt when i first boot up my computer after i shutdown my PC. I off the power which is connected to my computer. But after i went out or sleep , the next morning when i try to switch on my computer. The message of " unsuccessful POST attempt " will appear. I didn't do any overclocking to my computer. Cos im not really that experience to play with it yet :)

After reading all the post above, issit because there some power left at the PSU after i shut down my computer and my main power in room. Which cause when i on my power back to have the " unsuccessful POST attempt" and not the ram problem?

Sorry if my english was kinda bad.

Last edited by Wired; 07-06-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: removed specs; already in profile