The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Highwayman-Ed's PC Specs

POST ID # = 267434
Highwayman-Ed Reputation: 10

The bios actually lets you manually enter the FSB and Memory clock speeds you'd like all the way up to 1600MHz! ( should have highlighted those options ) but as you say, it ignores anything over 800 which reports as 800MHz at post, which is not DDR1600...! I wish

I'm fine with running the System at DDR800, as previously I hadn't even managed to boot at DDR800 with the memory in Dual channel configuration before, and could only achieve DDR800 with the modules mounted in Single channel.

The only issue I have is that if I restart Windows (not shut down), or change something in the BIOS with the speeds at 1066, it will not post. I have to hit the reset switch which then presents an error saying "Overvoltage failed or Overclocking failed" and then when prompted to enter the bios I do, and just exit without saving and the settings seem to be retained, and the system boots fine.

I'm going to continue testing, but so far, so good...

Old 11-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 267437
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

That MB will like I said top out about 1030Mhz no matter what settings ASUS put in the bios!

Old 11-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Highwayman-Ed's PC Specs

POST ID # = 267440

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
That MB will like I said top out about 1030Mhz no matter what settings ASUS put in the bios!
I understand that I'm probably making you pull your hair out from the repeated posts telling me the same thing, but if I knew what you were telling me then, I wouldn't keep asking questions.

Sorry, but I'm coming here for help, I know you answer hundreds of posts a day, and that I don't understand that much about the clock speeds, hence why I'm here in the first place. But it's your expertise that I need to guide me. Repeating the same thing me isn't helping, I don't understand what you're saying as it doesn't relate to what I'm seeing.

As far as I can see. The MB will let me set the FSB clock to 1066, and CPUZ confirms that speed as per the screen shot above (is this where you say I'll not get more than 1030Mhz out of it?). The MB will let me set the Memory clock to whatever I like, and it caps out at 400Mhz confirmed by CPUZ.

I'm happy running where I am, and I'll admit that when I purchased the kit, I read the specs of the P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe (attached) and saw an FSB speed of 1066Mhz, and your site said the best match for overclocking with the P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe was the TWIN2X2048-8500C5 which states in it's product guide "100% tested at 1066Mhz in high performance DDR2 motherboards", but nowhere mentions anything about DDRxxxx speeds. I obviously seem to have put 2 and 2 together and come up with 40 by assuming that your 1066Mhz matched the 1066Mhz speeds that ASUS advertised... I can see that the Memory section below the FSB in the ASUS specs that it shows only DDR2 800/667/533

But then following on from what you've shown me on this forum, this memory actually only runs at 533Mhz, or do you actually test the modules at a full 1066Mhz making them DDR2132...?

It seems that these numbers are all far too interchangable to suit peoples needs...

So... Finally, thank you all for your help. I'm happy where I am at DDR800, I'd just like to get the system in a 100% stable state, so I'll continue tinkering with the bios until I get there. If I nail it, I'll post my settings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5N32S-SLI Deluxe spec sheet.JPG (44.1 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg TWIN2x2048-8500C5 specs.JPG (116.3 KB, 231 views)

Old 11-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 267442
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
I understand that I'm probably making you pull your hair out from the repeated posts telling me the same thing, but if I knew what you were telling me then, I wouldn't keep asking questions.
OH NO! That would hurt too much, have you seen my pic?

OK, let's clarify some speeds.

On the CPU, your internal CPU speed is determined by multiplying your FSB speed by 4. This is because an Intel CPU has 4 pipelines from the CPU that communicate with the memory controller (aka Memory Controller Hub or MCH for short or Northbridge chip of the chipset, also called NB for short, it's all the same thing). At stock speed your CPU internally operates at 266mhz. The data rate to the NB is 266mhz x 4 (pipelines) so you get an effective data rate of 1066mhz. But, the CPU is not actually running 1066mhz.

DDR memory speed is a bit different. We'll use your example of DDR1066 memory (aka PC8500). It actually operates at 533mhz. DDR memory can transfer data 2 times per cycle so, the effective data rate is actually 1066mhz, even though the memory is not actually running at 1066mhz.

The portion of your system that is the weak link is the MCH, or NB (Nvidia 570). The NB is what allows the CPU to communicate with the memory. Typically, the fastest that anyone can get the Nvidia 570 chipset to run is about 1030mhz and that's if you are lucky. So, when you are setting 1066 in your bios for both CPU and RAM, you are setting a speed that the MCH simply cannot negotiate.

I'd suggest picking a much slower speed and slowly trying to increase it till you find your fastest stable OC. However, if you push much past 266mhz, you may need to lower your multiplier on your CPU.

Again, I'd strongly suggest you find some good OCing guides. Preferably one that deals with your specific MOBO.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Highwayman-Ed's PC Specs

POST ID # = 267446
Thumbs up

Thanks Specmike... we're all good

I've set the clocks at 1066MHz for the FSB and 800MHz for the memory, being DDR800, i guess this board and bios version (0501) just shows the full rate of both cycles.

And everything's good. The Windows reboot issue has gone away with these settings, and everything is pretty stable so far...

Old 11-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 267447
Idea

VERY COOL!

If you are in the mood to tinker, you could slowly increase that 800 and see how far you can go. If you do this, boot with a Memtest disk for a full pass before testing Windows stability.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:55 AM
Highwayman-Ed's PC Specs

POST ID # = 267475
Sad

Drat...

Testing hasn't gone so well...

Had Eve-Online running for 45 minutes before the system hung, and about the same with Flight Sim 2004, which is pretty much what I was seeing before.... Windows is solid, 3d games hang after 3/4 hour or so...

Oh well... I guess I'll wait for the next bios release from ASUS and stay at DDR667 until then.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:31 PM

POST ID # = 289961
kelmann Reputation: 10

Hi
I have the same problem with being able to run my pc fine with one stick of ram, but not two. If i put in two i start getting program errors and windows restarts. I have tried changing the speed of the ram but it hasnt helped. If you guys could go over the possible things i could try to fix this problem with me, that would be great :)
Thanks
Kelly

Old 04-03-2007, 05:42 AM
Highwayman-Ed's PC Specs

POST ID # = 289978

ASUS eventually told me that the Twin2x2048-8500C5 is not compatible with the P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe, and is not supported. They also told me that there are known issues with any memory running at DDR800 (Dual 400MHz)

I upgraded the BIOS to 0603 and put the memory to 667, and it's been rock solid ever since. I'm now running Vista Ultimate, and still rock solid... as soon as I put the memory to 800 or Auto it turns to jelly...

Next time I'm building, I'll ignore Corsairs compatibilty guide and recommendations and go with the boards...

Old 04-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Banned

POST ID # = 289993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman-Ed View Post
ASUS eventually told me that the Twin2x2048-8500C5 is not compatible with the P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe, and is not supported. They also told me that there are known issues with any memory running at DDR800 (Dual 400MHz)

I upgraded the BIOS to 0603 and put the memory to 667, and it's been rock solid ever since. I'm now running Vista Ultimate, and still rock solid... as soon as I put the memory to 800 or Auto it turns to jelly...

Next time I'm building, I'll ignore Corsairs compatibilty guide and recommendations and go with the boards...
Have you raised your NBv and FSBv and, what is your memory voltage?

Old 04-03-2007, 02:59 PM

POST ID # = 290007

my mem voltage is at 2.1 (manual) and i haven't touched the other two. I have either bios 0603 or the one before that, and i have tried under clocking the ram to 667 but nothing changed. Maybe i didn't do it right...

Old 04-04-2007, 03:46 PM

POST ID # = 290237

anyone? :)

Old 04-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 290249
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Lets get the modules tested/replaced. Please follow the link below my signature *NEW* Tech Support Express for RMA request.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Highwayman-Ed's PC Specs

POST ID # = 290307

Quote:
Originally Posted by specmike View Post
Have you raised your NBv and FSBv and, what is your memory voltage?
Same as Kelmann, The memory voltage is set to 2.1, havent touched the NB or FSB voltages...

Old 04-05-2007, 05:48 AM
Triden_2's PC Specs

POST ID # = 290344
Triden_2 Reputation: 10
Default Man I have been going through this same thing

I have been haveing problems with my Asus p5n32 sli deluxe since I got it about 6 months ago. Mostly due to it not posting or showing any video, have had to redo my system about 10 times now. Last night I was trying to update to bios version 0603 and it finished but after a bit my system would not even go into post. I was up for 24 hours working on it when i borrowed a friends pent D 775 and put it in mine, it booted up so I thought it was the CPU, ran around town and found a P4 3.2G 775 paid like 100 bucks went back put it in and the same thing. It is stuck in like suspend or sleep mode no post test or beeps. So we put the P4 chips into the other computer and both booted fine. I am ready to pull my hair out with this board have tried about everything including just a pci video card and other configs. Let it set for several hours after CLRTC and even installing the cmos battery backwards for 30 seconds. Can only determine that it is the Bios chip its self now stuck in some other Frequency or FSB speed. Been at it for over 30 some hours now and still going.................................(insert bunny here)