The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2006, 08:31 PM

POST ID # = 251492
vtjustin23 Reputation: 10
Default p5ad2 premium and corsair 5400

Not sure if this will help anybody as I didn't read through all of the posts, but I had the same problem where once I started playing a graphic intense game my pc would shut down. My build was.

MB: p5ad2 premium
Processor: P4 3.4 lga 775
Mem: Corsair 5400 twin2x1024 (2 512 chips)
Pwrsupply: Thermaltake Silent purepwer 420tt

I thought it was just getting too hot at first as sometimes it would beep like a temperature warning before it cut off, but I found the problem was the power supply. Apparently Thermaltake power supply couldn't power the Ram enough. To fix this I purchased a COOLER MASTER Real Power RS-450 and didn't have any problems with this build again.

It seems there is a problem in general with some of the Thermaltake power supplys and this memory/motherboard combo. I haven't tested any of the newer power supplys but even using my brother Thermaltake 550w power supply I had the same issue.

Though recently I purchased another 2 dimms of the same 5400 RAM and am having my video freeze up under graphic intense loads causing me to wonder if I need to upgrade my power supply again!

Last edited by vtjustin23; 06-06-2006 at 08:35 PM.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:02 PM
stefenisdell's PC Specs

POST ID # = 284772
stefenisdell Reputation: 10

Ok guys where to start with this dam long saga, I feel like I been re-writig the doomsday book with this problem its been going on so long and have tried so many different things to fix it. I just hope I can keep the Pc going long enough to write the problem down in full.

System:
Asus P5AD2 Premium Motherboard.
Powercolor x1950 Video card
Cool blue 550 watt PSU
Cool Blue CPU fan
Intel Pentium P4 3.4GHz CPU
2 x 120 GB SATA HD's
Corsair VS1GBKIT533D2 Memory.

Ok Fault is Pc Crashes to blue screen fault is intermitant sometimes every 10 minutes some times 14 hours, there is no particaule thing that seems to cause the problem. Have updated driver after drivre after driver have played with BIOS till my head is about to explode with frustration.

message on screen says check faulty memory check mismatched memory check video card.

have changed Motherboard to P5ND2 Sli same problem, Have changed the Video card from MSI X800 to the Powercolor X1950 same problem have replaced cooling fan for CPU from the standard Intel to the Cool Blue same problem have changed Power Supply from a 450 Watt to the Cool Blue 550 Watt same problem, have contacted MS to see if it was a OP problem after spending 4 Hours on telephone to MS checking everything they could not solve it and said it is hardware issue, have contacted ATI about their drivers searched their forums no issues was found still have same problem. Have broke system up and tried formatting HD's with fresh installs of OP with minimum hardware same problem, and finally have changed the memory for 2 identical RAM sticks from Corsair and have same problem. everything points to a compatability memory issue ? maybe I am at a lose now as to what the problem is and most annoyed at both my self for not been able to correct it and the PC at this point in time. I dont claim to be a Pc genius but have built many many PC's and never in all the ones I have built have I come across this issue before.

I have had heat testing checks on the the CPU graphics card etc all come in as ok,its not even warm inside the case, the PC can be on a few minutes from cold and crash out or it can have been running for 14 to 20 hours and crash out.

CPU 17C / 62F
Moherboard 30C / 86F

From what I read above there are a few people having the same issue here, If there is anyone who can help it would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Stefen

Last edited by stefenisdell; 02-25-2007 at 10:10 PM.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:25 AM

POST ID # = 284826
OneyedK Reputation: 10
Send a message via MSN to OneyedK

Hi Stefen,

Did you try using only one stick to see if the problem persists?

When I have a problem like yours, it's solved most of the time by putting at least 2.1V on the RAM and bumping vmch (northbridge) a bit up...

Good luck!

Old 02-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 284873
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Even with the Cool Blue PSU, this could still be a power related issue as you have a very demanding CPU and video card. If the other offered solutions do not help, please list the complete specifications on the Cool Blue PSU.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:32 AM
stefenisdell's PC Specs

POST ID # = 285124
stefenisdell Reputation: 10

OK update to what I have tried:

Yes I did try 1 stick, two sticks and 4 stick comninations, and each time I got the correct amount of memory showing up.

I also flashed the BIOS with the latest version 1011.

Have now installed Real Power 550 Watt Sli PSU, with a power meter in front of case which, shows a constant power useage.

The problem still persists.