The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD) > SSD Firmware Update

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Bearded Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 614280
Technobeard Reputation: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by dOCZ View Post
So here's the deal: since you did all the brute stuff, I think it's time to create an official thread about updating our ssd using LIVE CD.
Sorry, can't have an official thread on the subject since there's not an official tool.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 AM

POST ID # = 625984
weimaraner Reputation: 10

please I'm desperate, I can not update the firmware

my motherboard does not support ACHI

WHAT ARE THE STEPS TO UPDATE USING 64-BIT KUBUNTU?

I know nothing about LINUX

THANKS

Old 01-13-2013, 07:57 AM

POST ID # = 625989
Sad Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactalla View Post
Being happy with my Corsair RAM & PSU I didn't think twice about getting a Corsair SSD. Too late did I discover the .. err situation w.r.t. upgrading the firmware. Honestly I was shocked. But lemons and lemonade, etc.

For reference:
I flashed a 60GB Force 3 SSD from fw ver 1.3.3 to 5.03 using Updater version 1.0.1.100223 under Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit and it couldn't have been easier. No mucking with boot disks, Windows, or other nuisances.

Please could you tell me step by step how you did

Old 01-13-2013, 02:57 PM

POST ID # = 626082
mactalla Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimaraner View Post
my motherboard does not support ACHI
Do you mean that your BIOS doesn't have any option to enable AHCI or that when you enable it then Windows won't run?

If it's the first I'm afraid you need to find another computer to do the update on. I haven't heard of any way to access the firmware without AHCI.

If it's the second then we can probably help you out.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:52 PM

POST ID # = 626108
Talking I refer to this

I refer to this

Quote:

For reference:
I flashed a 60GB Force 3 SSD from fw ver 1.3.3 to 5.03 using Updater version 1.0.1.100223 under Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit and it couldn't have been easier. No mucking with boot disks, Windows, or other nuisances.

my motherboard does not support ACHI mode

Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 AM

POST ID # = 630291
TarAldarion Reputation: 10

Interested in the process as to how this is done thanks. In fact there are probably a hundred of them that need this firmware upgrade in work, running ubuntu 64bit

Old 01-30-2013, 04:56 PM

POST ID # = 630399

I've PM'd you the link to the firmware update tool.

To update:
1. Download the .zip file from the link I sent you.
2. Unzip it.
3. Mark the 64bit file as executable.
4. Run it.
5. Scan for your drive(s) and identify which firmware is needed for it (the drive signature).
6. Download the proper firmware from Corsair's site.
7. Feed that firmware into the updater and have it update the drive.
8. Repeat as needed for your other drive(s).

Oh, and I think they recommend rebooting the machine after updating the firmware is changed.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:32 PM

POST ID # = 634770
skybub Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dOCZ View Post
firmware updated sir !

too bad I didn't check your last response, I tried few distros with no success, and my first attempt was using my old Lubuntu LiveCD.

I did visit their site to check out the latest version tho... and BAAM a specific .iso for MACS !

Guess what ? I started the download, but I was so pissed off that all I had in my mind was "screw this *****, lemme try only kubuntu or ubuntu, these exotic distros will never help me".

After I posted my "giving up" reply, I went to sleep. But the SUPER SPECIAL EDITION FOR MAC ONLY that I canceled the download earlier, was whispering "come on dude, try me.. you know, I was made specially for macs, what if I got different sata drivers to detect your ssd?".

In short: I downloaded the latest mac edition of Lubuntu, booted into LiveCD mode, and I can tell you that the ending was very happy haha

So here's the deal: since you did all the brute stuff, I think it's time to create an official thread about updating our ssd using LIVE CD. I wonder how many mac users are here, and how hard is to set up a freaking bootcamp partition just to update (I know, if it's working do not update.. I know...).

obs: this reply reading must be a pain in the ***, due my awful english sorry :(
Hi dOCZ,

Could you please explain - step by step - how did you do to flash your firmware with Lubuntu and a Mac computer ?

Regards

Old 02-18-2013, 05:34 PM

POST ID # = 634772
skybub Reputation: 10

Quote:
I've PM'd you the link to the firmware update tool.

To update:
1. Download the .zip file from the link I sent you.
2. Unzip it.
3. Mark the 64bit file as executable.
4. Run it.
5. Scan for your drive(s) and identify which firmware is needed for it (the drive signature).
6. Download the proper firmware from Corsair's site.
7. Feed that firmware into the updater and have it update the drive.
8. Repeat as needed for your other drive(s).

Oh, and I think they recommend rebooting the machine after updating the firmware is changed.
Hi Mactalla,

Is this method OK on a Mac computer running Lubuntu live CD ?

Could you then post the flash tool ?

Regards

Old 02-18-2013, 06:04 PM

POST ID # = 634776

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybub View Post
Is this method OK on a Mac computer running Lubuntu live CD ?
Yes, if you boot a Lubuntu LiveCD then you're running Linux and can follow the Linux instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybub View Post
Could you then post the flash tool ?
PM sent.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:23 PM

POST ID # = 634968
Gustavo Carvalh Reputation: 10

Could someone please link me to the updater?

Old 02-23-2013, 01:39 PM

POST ID # = 635836
Lorrin Reputation: 10

Greetings. I was able to follow the steps here to make an Ubuntu Live CD, boot my Mac Mini from it, and execute the SSDNow SF Updater L_64Bit binary obtained elsewhere. When launched with sudo, it successfully finds my Corsair F120, reports its serial number, etc.

However, that updater app wants me to select a *.vic file containing firmware. The Corsair-supplied update for my SF-1200 based F120 drive has "Corsair2.4.pkg". Can I just rename the .pkg file to .vic and proceed? Or is some sort of format conversion required? Or is the updater I found just incompatible with the F120 drives?

Thanks for any pointers.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:30 PM

POST ID # = 635855

The updater will accept .vic and .ffp files (ffp files are a collection of .vics all rolled into one). I just downloaded the .pkg file Corsair is providing for your drive and it appears to be neither .vic format nor .ffp format. Looking around I would speculate this is the format that SandForce used prior to vic/ffp in which case you'll need to use an updating tool from that same generation. I've PM'd you a link to a boot disk with a tool that should do the trick. Looking at the instructions it appears this tool will erase the disk of anything non-Windows. Be sure to backup!!

Naturally you'll want to be sure to use the .pkg from Corsair and not the boot disk.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:12 PM

POST ID # = 635896
Lorrin Reputation: 10

Hi Mactalla, thanks for the quick reply and the firmware format clarification!

I think I might be out of luck though -- I've got a 2012 Mac Mini and it seems awfully picky about what it will boot. EFI firmware or something? I can boot Ubuntu live USB sticks, I can boot the (not useful to me) Mac SSD firmware tool from another company (which won't work with Corsair drives). But I haven't been able to create anything using UNetbootin and an ISO that can boot.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:28 PM

POST ID # = 635898

Sorry to hear that. I don't have a Mac, so unfortunately I don't know the right magic to convince it to boot. What you're saying is you're trying to create bootable USB drives, right? dOCZ here indicated that those were finicky on his Mac and I think he went with burning an actual disk. But I guess a Mac Mini doesn't have an optical drive, does it?

Tags
linux, linux firmware upgrade