Corsair Community

Fixed RPM working, manual curve does not.

highfocus

Hey everyone,

My setup is H100i Platinum and 6 LL120 fans connected to a commander pro.

Within the Icue software, when I highlight the fans I want to change and apply a manual curve, my fans ignore this and choose to run at about 1300-1400 RMP. I've even set them all at 0 RPM to see if they would turn off but once again, the software ignores this and continues the fans at the speed I mentioned above.

However, if I choose to highlight the fans and set it to a fixed RPM, this works perfectly fine for all my fans.

I have forced an update so I'm on the latest version of the software but I'm really struggling to find a solution to make the manual curve work.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Commander Pro Tab -> Settings. Change the LL fan ports from Auto to 4-Pin and see if this brings change. You generally want it set to this anyway so it doesn’t to a fan power test on start-up.

Also, check your control variable for the manual curve. If you are using something like CPU temp (the default), you’re not really in control anyway and response is going to be all over the place.

Commander Pro Tab -> Settings. Change the LL fan ports from Auto to 4-Pin and see if this brings change. You generally want it set to this anyway so it doesn’t to a fan power test on start-up.

Also, check your control variable for the manual curve. If you are using something like CPU temp (the default), you’re not really in control anyway and response is going to be all over the place.

Hey, thank you very much for the suggestion. I changed the LL fan ports to 4-pin but unfortunately no luck there.

Apologies for not being aware, what do you mean when you say the control variable? I don't believe it is anyway as the fans are not exactly reacting to what I am doing with the PC. For example, they run at 1300-1500 when doing minor tasks like opening a browser when on custom curve.

Thanks again for the response.

Apologies for not being aware, what do you mean when you say the control variable? I don't believe it is anyway as the fans are not exactly reacting to what I am doing with the PC. For example, they run at 1300-1500 when doing minor tasks like opening a browser when on custom curve.

Thanks again for the response.

That sounds like CPU core temp is the control variable. On the manual graph, there will be a box at the top labeled “source”. This is the temp data the program uses in your curve below. The program defaults to cpu temp because that is only component every pc is guaranteed to have. However, it is a terrible and inappropriate control variable. It changes in milliseconds and has no connection to case ambient temperature at all. The controller has some measure of hysteresis and polls every few seconds. This means your typical Lake processor will keep the fans up almost incessantly. CPU temp is too dynamic to be of any use and will lead to frayed nerves.

You need to pick something else as the source. The two instant fixes are GPU temp and H100i Platinum Temp (coolant temperature). GPU temp is self explanatory and may work for rear exhaust or front intake. The fans on the Platinum’s controller should already be doing this and this allows you to balance the other fans with them. Ultimately the temp probes that came with the Commander Pro are the end game. Those can be used to measure radiator exhaust (same as coolant temp) or the rear exhaust air temp (what that fan is really doing). These also work all the time and without the software running, so no blast on boot. They can also be used for general information (case ambient temp, intake air temp, etc). You will need to adjust your data points depending on what you pick. Coolant temp and GPU temp have vastly different ranges.

Edited by c-attack

That sounds like CPU core temp is the control variable. On the manual graph, there will be a box at the top labeled “source”. This is the temp data the program uses in your curve below. The program defaults to cpu temp because that is only component every pc is guaranteed to have. However, it is a terrible and inappropriate control variable. It changes in milliseconds and has no connection to case ambient temperature at all. The controller has some measure of hysteresis and polls every few seconds. This means your typical Lake processor will keep the fans up almost incessantly. CPU temp is too dynamic to be of any use and will lead to frayed nerves.

You need to pick something else as the source. The two instant fixes are GPU temp and H100i Platinum Temp (coolant temperature). GPU temp is self explanatory and may work for rear exhaust or front intake. The fans on the Platinum’s controller should already be doing this and this allows you to balance the other fans with them. Ultimately the temp probes that came with the Commander Pro are the end game. Those can be used to measure radiator exhaust (same as coolant temp) or the rear exhaust air temp (what that fan is really doing). These also work all the time and without the software running, so no blast on boot. They can also be used for general information (case ambient temp, intake air temp, etc). You will need to adjust your data points depending on what you pick. Coolant temp and GPU temp have vastly different ranges.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I have changed the sensor from my CPU to my GPU and the custom curve now works as intended so I think you solved it!

Any time you create a new profile in iCUE, it will immediately return all fans to default "Quiet" status which is really the same thing as being linked to CPU (core) temp. 1 second later all my fans kick up to 1300+ rpm and then the panic fumbling with the mouse to make it stop. I am afraid we recognize the symptoms.

FYI, you can copy to your new curve and applied settings to all other profiles by using the drop down menu to the right of the fan speed in the Performance Panel. You have to do this for each fan, but it will copy the fans behavior through your entire profile list. Really handy when you need to make changes.