Corsair Community

PSU Sounds like a cricket!

jeffm

Okay, I have a CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply (copied from newegg) and its about a week old. I've noticed when the system is idle.... the PSU sounds like a cricket. It stops only when I'm doing something ie scrolling a page or clicking something. Something seems to have to be consuming more power for it to stop. I have localized the problem to the PSU using a stethescope. I understand from kinda sorta similarish posts that it may be a coil vibrating in the PSU.

would it void the warrante if I applied some RTV to the coil(s?)

None of the other threads here seemed to match my problems exactly, so I thought I would post a new one. I have tried a 500W Supply from another manufacturer, and the noise is not there. As mentioned, my current supply is only 450W of about the same quality. I have tested line voltage to 120V with no fluctuations over an 8 minute time frame. If the power is not fluctuating, then what could cause this problem?

to reitterate:

"cricket" sound when idling

Line voltage constant

Properly grounded

Sure is is the PSU making the sound

I'm an emectronics engineer, and normally, at work, when I run across these types of things it is a component not properly soldered or seated. usually a touch of solder or a few mg of RTV fixes the problem.

I would like to know what (if anything) I can do to make this noise go away. Its VERY annoying, as I have an open air case and its less than a foot away.

• Corsair Employee

Although there is a good chance that doing what you suggest may help the problem, we could not recommend opening up the PSU because it would void your warranty. We have no problem replacing the unit for you, and if you would like to go that route, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Just to be sure its primarily a hardware issue, can you duplicate the same issues if you boot up in safe mode?

Yes, I can reproduce them in safe mode. It's actually louder. Actually though, I've fixed the problem. It just needed a good burn in apparently. I plugged in (12) 80mm fans... and it has stopped. Weird how those things work...

• Corsair Employee
Yes, I can reproduce them in safe mode. It's actually louder. Actually though, I've fixed the problem. It just needed a good burn in apparently. I plugged in (12) 80mm fans... and it has stopped. Weird how those things work...

Glad to hear its working, let us know if you have any more problems!

Archived