Corsair Community

Buzzing noise from VX450 and its replacement

Kimikaze

I recently RMA'd a VX450 because it was making an electronic buzzing noise when the CPU was idle or on low load. The replacement has the exact same problem! Is there any workaround or do I have to keep RMA'ing until I get lucky?

The buzzing noise stops when the CPU shows around 50% load. I ran a Prime 95 torture test and the noise just stopped for the duration, though there were a few chirps when the CPU loads dropped. The buzzing also becomes more consistent when I move the mouse.

Appreciate any advice out there.

EDIT: I already tried moving my pc to a different power outlet on a different circuit, but that had no effect. I also tried removing the graphics card and using the onboard graphics; disconnecting all peripherals; and disconnecting all the power connections inside except the motherboard. I even disconnected the front panel USB and AC97 audio connectors. Still buzzing.

Renable C1E support under CPU configuration. Go to the Power tab in that boards BIOS. See if setting "Anti-Surge support" to disabled fixes it. This function's only useful if you're hooking up a cheapo supply.

Just tried your suggestion, but it didn't have any effect. Although, I feel like the buzzing is a little lower in volume. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

I forgot to mention that the buzzing starts once the "Starting Windows" logo appears. When I'm in BIOS, it doesn't happen.

Background info:

I had the previous VX450 PSU for about two years. I tried to live with the buzzing by placing a cardboard box to block the noise. About a month ago, my motherboard fried, so I was forced to upgrade with a new board, CPU, and RAM. While I was at it, I also got a new DVD burner. The hard drives (though one is a few months old) and the graphics card were kept. When I finished the build and turned on the PC, the buzzing was there. So, I figured I might as well try and RMA it. Little did I realize how long that would take and that it didn't solve the problem.

Anyway, I didn't install all of the utilities and drivers that were on the CD or from ASUS' website. In case this info is pertinent, here is a list of installed drivers: AMD Chipset (ATI Catalyst), ASUS VIA audio 6.0.1.9500, Realtek LAN 7.23.623.2010, and Nvidia GeForce 285.62.

The installed utilities are: ASUS PC Probe II, ASUS AI Suite, ASUS Update, and Realtek Ethernet Utility.

I'm thinking maybe I should go ahead and install the ASUS EPU-4 Engine? I don't see a reason to install the Browser Configuration Utility. This noise is really ticking me off. Help, please.

• 3 weeks later...
In BIOS Setup, I tried disabling C1E Support and Cool 'n' Quiet under CPU Configuration. Also disabled Anti-Surge Support under Power. In Windows' Power Options, I set it to High Performance. Still buzzing! Help, please. Would overclocking or unlocking the 4th core help in any way?

• 1 month later...

Well, it's finally been resolved! It took two RMA's, but I finally got a VX450 that is silent at idle and under load! Thanks to Corsair customer support for providing a shipping label for the second RMA. :)

Left the BIOS settings at default, so C1E, Cool 'n Quiet, and Anti-Surge Support are all enabled.

Archived