Corsair Community

Core i7 980X@4.27GHz happy, cool, and quiet

kkolbo

I have finally completed all of my tests and configurations. I am happiest with my current combination:cool:

The 800D case with the H70 gave me plenty of cooling for 4.27GHz, even with the memory at 1600MHz :loveeyes:

The problem was, it was too loud to use for video editing and tutorial audio recording.

The stock fans on the H70 provided plenty of air for the cooling. They were moderately quite fans, but at full bore they sounded like jet engines. The change I wanted was to throttle the fans so that I could manage the noise. I also wanted an overall quieter fan.

Again, my priority was manageable noise, not just cooling. :!:

A pair of Apache Black fans by akasa and an akasa PWM fan splitter cable added the PWM feature I wanted. They were also quiet. At 4.0GHz they were the perfect combination. I just bolted them in to replace the stock fans.

I needed more to get the 4.27GHz OC that I wanted. :hmmm:

The configuration that worked for me was to add fan shrounds on both sides of the H70 radiator, and then use two NoiseBlocker M12-P fans. :headbang2 It took more than just bolting them on though.

The whole combo was too long for the H70's hoses. I had to mount the first fan outside of the case. The fan is very quiet so that was fine. The bolts included with the shrouds were a different type than the stock ones, so I had to tap the radiator holes to 8-23. A couple of small washers to compensate for the length of the bolts and it was good to go. :nutkick:

A custom fan control profile is what keeps it quiet during editing and cool during render.

picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=499

The idle temps are good.

picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=497

Here is a snapshot during a high stress render.

picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=500

Under Prime95 it holds Intel Specs for temp (average 68C) for 20 minutes. After that it stabilizes higher. Here are the temps at 28 minutes.

picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=498

The H70 pushes enough air over the memory modules. It does block air flow across the motherboard heat sinks. A little spot fan took care of that.

picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=496

picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=495

picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=494

I just made a change by adding another exhaust fan that is throttled with the CPU fans and dropped both load and idle temps without adding noise.

To clarify what I meant, I have found that one of the causes for poor performance from the H50 and H70 has been because the pressure in the case has not been balanced. For the H50 I added a low RPM fan to the top of the 800D to make sure that the internal pressure stayed negative or at least reduce resistance to the flow through the H50.

When I changed out to the H70 and added shrouds, the cooler was now adding more airflow. While the temps were fine, I wanted to try and see what would happen if I compensated for it. I added another low RPM fan to the top of the case and instead of using the case fan control to throttle the fan, I used the CPU fan control to throttle it to make sure that when the H70 increased airflow, the exhaust fan would match it.

The result was an additional drop in temps.

Temps while surfing and chatting ...

picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=503

These are the temps during a high stress video render ...

picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=504

I have done a lot to find out how to get the performance from the H70 that you get with the stock fans, but make it quieter. He is the reason. Notice the voice over mic next to the CPU.

picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=502

Until next time :bling:

Thats nice temps, and grate looks on your system. :biggrin:

Seams that you struck the performance, noise and temp balance, thats a grate job.

You are using rear intake i presume?

I was thinking of using top exhaust in my system, I will also need to fiend some good fans.

I am just saving up for a good SSD then i will complete my build.

Yes, I am using the rear as the intake through the H70 along with the intake at the bottom. The top is the exhaust with the two low RPM fans. I also covered the vent on the back at the top with duct tape. That forces the top exhaust to draw the air from the bottom and the H70.

Have you tried these fans ? http://www.feser-one.com/site/product_info.php?cPath=83&products_id=329

They are very thick and have a CFM interesting. They seem to combine the advantages of a fan "normal" would have built with a shroud.

To speak for my self, a few weeks a go i was nearly 100% certain i was going to use those Feser/TFC Triebwerk 120x55mm 1800rpm fans, and a tecnofront airbox as a shroud in push / pull config. ::pirate::

But with some more investigation, some says that the noise from this fans are annoying / unpleasant to the ear. And i would like to hear the sound from this fans before i buy them, but the nearest shop that have them is 600km away. The Airbox is not available in Norway so the nearest "nett" shop fore this item is in Sweden. :sigh!:

Have you tried these fans ? http://www.feser-one.com/site/product_info.php?cPath=83&products_id=329

They are very thick and have a CFM interesting. They seem to combine the advantages of a fan "normal" would have built with a shroud.

They do not have the advantage of the shroud. Part of the effectiveness of the shroud is the distance placed between the fan hub and the radiator. For a 120mm fan, the distance is around 25mm. At least that is what I found in reading. I can not back it up.

I can tell you that the Noise Blockers are nice and quiet.

They do not have the advantage of the shroud. Part of the effectiveness of the shroud is the distance placed between the fan hub and the radiator. For a 120mm fan, the distance is around 25mm. At least that is what I found in reading. I can not back it up.

I can tell you that the Noise Blockers are nice and quiet.

The Feser/TFC Triebwerk fans has a special nose cone in front of the fan blades, this together with the 55mm thick frame serves as a short shroud, but only if you it as a pull fan.

When you use it as a push fan there is no shroud function.

The Feser/TFC Triebwerk fans has a special nose cone in front of the fan blades, this together with the 55mm thick frame serves as a short shroud, but only if you it as a pull fan.

When you use it as a push fan there is no shroud function.

Cool idea. It would be interesting to see them in action and hear them. It would certainly be easier than installing shrouds.

I am using shrouds on the push and pull. (which may be overkill, but it seems to be working) By using one of these as the pull, with a cone like that, it sounds like it could work well. Unfortunately it would still be a long which makes fitting it difficult.

Cool idea. It would be interesting to see them in action and hear them. It would certainly be easier than installing shrouds.

I am using shrouds on the push and pull. (which may be overkill, but it seems to be working) By using one of these as the pull, with a cone like that, it sounds like it could work well. Unfortunately it would still be a long which makes fitting it difficult.

The thickness of your shroud (30mm) and fan (25mm) combo equals the (55mm) feser fan.

And i would prefer your 30mm shroud any day.

But for a wile i was fascinated by the feser fan/shroud combo but at a combined length of 85mm space is definitely a concern.

Just Imagen the H70 50mm radiator with push pull feser fan, shroud combo, it would give you a 220mm long cooling monster. :eek:

The thickness of your shroud (30mm) and fan (25mm) combo equals the (55mm) feser fan.

And i would prefer your 30mm shroud any day.

But for a wile i was fascinated by the feser fan/shroud combo but at a combined length of 85mm space is definitely a concern.

Just Imagen the H70 50mm radiator with push pull feser fan, shroud combo, it would give you a 220mm long cooling monster. :eek:

My solution isn't exactly small :laughing:

picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=501

If i would have used the feser fan shroud combo in push / pull configuration, in the rear port, i would probably have to put one fan and shroud on the outside of the case.

And i am not sure if that would look nice. :confused:

I like your cooling solution, and the spot fan on the north bridge is a nice solution to get some air flow in that area. And as you say your combo is not smal. :D:

If you take a look. One of the fans is outside the case. The NoiseBlocker is silent out there and looks kinda cool. :)

Yes your 25mm fan is nice out there, and definitely looks cool.

But i am still not sure if a 55mm fan ore a 85mm clear plexi fan and shroud combo would blend in with the case, in the same way as your black fan.

In my room the computer will be visible from the side when i enter the room.

I like the looks of the cooler master Excalibur fan,it has good airflow, and good static pressure, witch is so important fore radiators.

Link: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6634

I only see one problem with the fan, and that is you can remove the fan for cleaning, and if i use it as horizontal pulling fans the propeller might fall off and i will loose the airflow.

I think i will need to check if the fan works good as a horizontal pulling fan.

but I'm just being picky now. :nodding:

The shrouds stabilize the air flow before getting to the radiator and allows the air get to more of the radiator. My fans run at the same speed and are the same model so that they both are trying to move the same amount of air. The exhaust fans on the top are throttled differently.

Archived