Corsair Community

HX850 Motherboard Power Cable Too Short

HansenJC

In another discussion, you mention that the ATX specs do not allow for cable extensions. You wrote: "The specification does not allow for extensions of the cables only Maximum lengths."

And yet, one of the cables that I received either with the power supply or the case is an extension cable. I would much rather just have cables that are long enough without adding an extension.

I have built a workstation using the 800D case and an HX850 PSU. The Motherboard I chose has sockets for two CPUs and thus require two Motherboard power cables. 1) when I realized that there was no second cable, you graciously sent me the cable I needed. Then, when I went to install this cable it is about 24 inches long and that did not make it to the motherboard connector. The solution was to add the supplied extension, but has a splitter that adds connectors and bulk to the build. It would seem best to have a single cable that is about 28 inches long.

The power supply selector tool on the Corsair website addresses the question of power needs, but really does not identify that the power supply cable lengths will be too short of an extended motherboard inside an 800D case. This situation will become more prevalent in the future. I did open ticket on this topic and the answer i got was to use the extension that was supplied. Yes, I did and the computer works fine, but extra connectors and unused wire and connectors seems contrary to the idea of modular PSUs. I am in the process of sourcing a custom cable to get the extra length, but I also feel some consideration for this type of build should be noted on your website to forewarn those who might build with the same case and PSU that some cables might be a bit shorter than they might like, and to plan ahead to acquire the custom cables from a third party vendor..

• 2 months later...

Bump.

I am also in need of cable extensions for the HX850 - the 24pin, 6+2 and 8pins as well. OP, did you end up using non corsair extensions? I'm in australia so access to corsair products is a bit limited here - especially the individually sleeved cables - i may end up picking up bitfenix extensions instead.

Have you been successful with your extensions?

• 2 months later...
Just got burned yesterday for the same thing. Wish corsair would have posted this info on their web page to warn folks. I would not have ordered this case knowing the 24 pin cable is to short. I did manage to get it to clip but need to find an extender cable. Just hope the stress on the plug doesn't give. I emailed corsair about this and also supplying only one cable. Should have come with two for E-ATX. Kind of disappointed no network lights on front but knew that when I ordered. Anyone find a good extender cable for the 24 pin?

Most full tower cases will require an extention and why they are supplied in the first place.

Second E-ATX has nothing to do with needing two cables. It's just a longer,wider board. My older X58 board is E-ATX and only requires one

99% of the people using this case are not going to be installing a server class board with two procs.

Anyone find a good extender cable for the 24 pin?

Any standard 24 pin extension would be suitable.

AFAIK, there is no single processor motherboard that requires E-ATX case. Server motherboards have an additional power cable for each processor. Most server pedestal cases have the PSU mounted on top so usually not an issue on cable length. So unless there are single socket motherboards out there that require E-ATX, advertising an case that can house a E-ATX board should either have a warning about addition extension cables required or supply them, or state not to install a server board in this case. This case has plenty of room for server boards. Awesome airflow design. The hot swappable drive bays is what drew me to corsair.

AFAIK, there is no single processor motherboard that requires E-ATX case. Server motherboards have an additional power cable for each processor. Most server pedestal cases have the PSU mounted on top so usually not an issue on cable length. So unless there are single socket motherboards out there that require E-ATX, advertising an case that can house a E-ATX board should either have a warning about addition extension cables required or supply them, or state not to install a server board in this case.

The board I'm using right now is an E-ATX board (ASUS P6X58D-Premium) Here's a few more that are being sold today and are all single processor boards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627+600009018&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=280&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

While the case has plenty of room for server boards it was designed as a gamer/enthusiast case. So they were not really thinking servers when they designed it.

I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out. I can see E-ATX due to 4 PCI-E X16 slots. I did pick up some extended cables at microcenter. Not expensive. This is a sweet case though. Just trying to figure out how to unmount a hard drive in win7 64, which is why I purchased a case with hot swappable capability. Thanks again.

Archived