Corsair Community

Can the 6pin take 300w of load?

QuabbleCrab

Hi, i have the old HX650W psu also. I currently have an rtx 2060 using one of the 6+2 pins from the y splitter (i now only have one as i lost the other one). I was wondering if it would be safe to have an RX470 8gb card running off the second 6+2pin connector? People say it should be ok but i also don't understand how? There is a single 6pin going into the power supply and a 6pin = 75w rated. So how can two 8 (6+2) pins power a possible 300w (8pin =150w rated x 2) if those two 8 pins are only running from a single 6 pin on the psu. I know im continuing this thread very late but i would like to know as i have ordered an rx470 and would like to know if i need a new psu.

• Corsair Employee

Which HX650 do you have?

CMPSU-650HX or CP-9020030? If the CMPSU-650HX, that's a REALLY OLD PSU with a very antiquated platform. I would not be using that in a current build. I mean... looks like you have all new parts EXCEPT for the PSU.

And where do you get the "300W" number? 6-pin PCIe supports 75W. 8-pin supports 150W. Together that's a maximum of 225W. No PCIe cable is going to support 300W.

Also, card tends to use less than 167W: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-ray-tracing-turing,5960-8.html

Edited by jonnyguru