Corsair Community

Neutron XT 223.57 GiB on linux

metatron

OK, I have 2 of these Neutron XT SSDs in a remote server that I would like to update the firmware for.

I can't take them out or put them in Windows machines. Worse: I would have to install a VM or buy Windows just for this, since I don't use it anywhere (anymore).

Is there a way to update these SSDs from within linux on shell?

I bought them a couple of months ago, in one buy, but it turns out they don't match in firmware, one of them is actually really old. This is bad for RAID purposes etc.

I can provide # smartctl -a output to the corsair techs if needed.

TIA

• Administrators

We don't have a Linux updater.

Different firmware isn't necessarily a bad thing. One could have a newer firmware because of a BOM change and not a functional change. Also, I wouldn't recommend updating firmware remotely simply because if the worst case scenario happens and the drive is bricked, you could be now running on a degraded (or dead) RAID.

We don't have a Linux updater.

Different firmware isn't necessarily a bad thing. One could have a newer firmware because of a BOM change and not a functional change. Also, I wouldn't recommend updating firmware remotely simply because if the worst case scenario happens and the drive is bricked, you could be now running on a degraded (or dead) RAID.

Seriously, I've been updating firmware for hundreds of HDDs and SSDs in total the last ~15 years. Not one has been bricked by the procedure. Most could be done headless/remotely using either KVM or a mounted iso, or SandForce software etc.

So, are you saying that if I want to update firmware, I would have to install Windows solely for that purpose alone?

• Administrators
Seriously, I've been updating firmware for hundreds of HDDs and SSDs in total the last ~15 years. Not one has been bricked by the procedure.
I didn't say it was a likely scenario, just a possibility.

So, are you saying that if I want to update firmware, I would have to install Windows solely for that purpose alone?
Please see my previous post.

What firmware versions do you have - and which exact Neutron XT 240 GB part numbers are you using in that system?

Archived