Corsair Community

Corsair - a Leader or a Follower?

khb008

Hello Corsair Community,

I just want to gauge Corsair's level of interest regarding this matter. I've been a gaming enthusiast all my life, and i've been a linux enthusiast for the past 6 years. Unfortunately, these two passions have never went well together... until very recently!

I'm sure you guys already know but the greatest factor limiting gaming potential on Linux was not the linux kernel or the absence of DirectX. In fact, Valve themselves admitted that the Linux Kernel and OpenGL are much more efficient tools for gaming in comparison to Windows and DirectX.

The greatest limiting factor was the absence of GPU support through the provision of latest drivers for linux by GPU vendors. However, recently when Valve announced Steam's arrival on linux, Nvidia has stepped up their game and been providing the linux community with their latest drivers.

I'm sorry if you already knew the above mentioned facts but had to read through them, I just wanted to lay it out in perspective that like me, millions of other PC builders love Corsair products.

If i'm building a new PC and i'm told that I can save $120-$150 by simply using an awesome and free OS (Ubuntu) and more importantly, not only will it be free but my games will run better on it, then I see no reason to pay for Windows!! In which case, I would use that extra money to buy a quality product from a company I am loyal to. Computer builders should be loyal to you, Corsair, not to Windows. They should be able to choose their OS and then simply pick a peripheral for quality and technology and certainly not due to the availability of driver support.

Just as a side note, Valve Steam Statistics for 2012 were recently released. Steam for linux's open beta was released about a month ago and already it has Half a Million users. Obviously there is an available niche to be exploited and I expect Corsair to lead the market into this, once again.

It'd be great to support Linux but its a matter of time and resources being finite. It is something I have passed along though for consideration so your feedback isn't falling on deaf ears.

As for the RGB, it would make the keyboard even higher in price than the rise in price it got from being 100% mechanical. It would be cool though. :):

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=107194

@Laufer. Merely 30 mins prior to replying to this thread, you asked for "symbols on macro keys". A feature request. The point of this post is simple. It's a feature request. I certainly hope you get a better reply to your concern than "You like symbols on your macro keys?? That's YOUR problem!"

@Toasted. Thank you so very much for directing me to that thread. I should have added my opinion to it directly. I've been shopping around the market for manufacturers that make great gaming gear while providing Linux support and sadly so far there is only one; Roccat. That's why I decided to just ask corsair about their opinion on this matter. Regardless, the thread you linked is great!

@Laufer. Merely 30 mins prior to replying to this thread, you asked for "symbols on macro keys". A feature request. The point of this post is simple. It's a feature request. I certainly hope you get a better reply to your concern than "You like symbols on your macro keys?? That's YOUR problem!"

Heh, I'm sure that I'll hear something like that or nothing at all - I'm ready to suffer :o:

Anyway I can remember letters under keycaps and use them somehow. Same as you can use mouse or keyboard but without software settings.

Archived