Corsair Community

Controlling HD120 in corsair link

Antero

Hi,

Basically I have a question. My motherboard Is a msi krait gaming 3x, it doesn't have a led controller and I am gonna buy a corsair crystal 460x and a 3 pack of hd120. What do I need to contol them trough software? Some people told me that I just needed the thing the comes with the node pro, other say that I need the commander pro. And another one, can I turn the led off on corsair link?

Thanks!

With the HD120's, you'll get a Lighting Hub controller for up to 6 HD fans as well as a push-button controller. This will give you a set (limited) number of effects. So, technically, you don't need anything else.

The case comes with the SP-120 RGB, which need to be on a different LED Fan Controller Hub than the HD fans. HOWEVER ... if you remove the included fans, you could hook the HD Fan hub to the buttons on the case (in lieu of their connection to the HD Fan hub). It does come with cables for doing just this.

If, however, you want to control them through Link AND have more effects, you'll need either a Lighting Node Pro -OR- a Commander Pro. AFAIK, the Lighting Node Pro is not available by itself but only in a kit with 4 LED strips or with the LL fans.

Yes, you can set RGB values to 0,0,0 for black and turn of a fan or strip. I save a Link preset with them all blacked out for a quick off. However, you must get a LNP or C-Pro to interface with Link to do this. That also allows brightness control in 25% increments. That alone if worth the price of admission. Brightness 0 also will effectively turn out the lights.

I will buy the non rgb version, so that's no problem. And if I buy the the LNP I will be able to connect the straps and the 3 fans to the controller? (I didn't want a limited amount of colors for the fans. Also, do I have more effects through corsair link?)

And Btw, what's the difference between the LNP and the commander pro? Asking because the commander pro is more expensive and it doesn't come with led strip.

Thanks for the quick answers!

The Lighting Node Pro has 2 LED channels. So you'd be able to connect 1 channel to the strips and 1 channel to the RGB fan controller. You would then be able to control them all through Link.

The Commander Pro also has 2 LED channels. But it also allows you to control 6 fans through Link and has 4 temperature sensors. So it does quite a bit more.

• 7 months later...
I was looking at specifications page for Corsair HD120 and it says, that Corsair HD120 is not compatibile with Corsair Link. So where is the truth?

HD-120 is compatible with both Link and iCUE, though not out of the box. You will also need a Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro to control the lighting. To control Fans speeds via Link or iCUE as well you should go with the Commander Pro. The HD-120 and SP-120s come with a manual controller. The Lighting Node Pro just does lighting, while the Commander Pro does lighting and fan speed control as well as a few other things.

Also note this thread is a bit old.

Yeah, that is a bit confusing and I never noticed it before. As stated above, you do not have to use a LNP/C-Pro + software with the HD series fans. They will do some basic color and pattern shifting through the physical remote control. I originally started off this way and suggest to everyone to go ahead and get the Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro so you can use the software. There is no brightness control with the physical remote and the HD fans are BRIGHT. Like indoor tanning bright in some parts of the spectrum. Your are also limited to whole case lighting, all purple, all color shift, etc. With just the hand held remote, I took mine off after three weeks. At that point, I preferred to borrow specific colors from my huge library of fans to make what I wanted. 6 months later I got a C-Pro and started using the software. It is a completely different experience and the HD fans are now my favorite. If cost is an issue or you aren't sure on the product, you can get them as a standalone and use the remote. You don't have to commit the extra $50 until you want to. However, it really is more fun with the software.

Link will allow you to save a specific pattern/color scheme and it will stay even without Link running. That may be advantageous if you don't have a lot of other Corsair stuff (or necessary). The drawback is you are limited to a single layer lighting effect, although you can still make it interesting. iCUE adds a large amount of lighting complexity to your options, but at this point requires you to have the software active. You can freely go back and forth between the two. Link stores the profiles in a different location than iCUE and that specific swap process without keyboard/mouse/other peripherals is really easy.

Yes, i want to buy Corsair HD fans and i don't like this manual controller, so i want to use Corsair Link and Lighting Node Pro. But the specifications page confused me... Thanks for answer.

Check out the RGB FAQ in my signature. It'll clear things up.

Archived