Corsair Community

ASUS Mobo + CP + iCUE = USB Device Death?

RealTime

Heyo!

I am having problems. Many problems. I hope someone here can help me before I swear off Corsair for good.

I spent some money on a new gaming rig. I wanted it to look nice so I built it around the Corsair iCUE ecosystem complete with Corsair case, Corsair PSU, Corsair RAM, Corsair LL120s (8 of them), Commander Pro, and 2x Corsair Lighting Node Pros. I also use Razer Huntsman and Razer Naga Chroma with the Synapse software.

My system USB repeatedly disconnects and reconnects. Over and over again. If I disconnect the CP it happens with less frequency, and if I uninstall iCUE it stops completely.

iCUE v.3.32.80

CP FW v.0.9.212

LNP FW v.0.10.4

Here are some of the steps I have taken to address this so far, note that (Success/Fail) is ONLY indicating a resolution to the rapid-fire USB connect/disconnect cycles. Not to a fully-functioning system.

- Thinking it was a power issue, I put the CP on its own rail with nothing else on it. Failed.

- I reduced the number of fans on the CP fan headers from 6 to 3. Failed.

- Adjusted USB header plugs so that no other USB devices were plugged into the CP. Failed.

- Reimaged my computer using latest Win10 1909 build. Only installed iCUE. Failed.

- Unplugged the Lighting Node Pros. Failed.

- Unplugged CP. Failed.

- Uninstalled iCUE. Success.

- Plugged CP back in. Failed.

- Purchased internal USB header from Amazon (others have reported success with this). Failed.

- Reimaged again. Only installed Synapse. Success.

- Installed iCUE (CP and LNP are unplugged). Failed

- Reimaged again. Installed older version of iCUE. Failed.

- Force-flashed the CP and LNP. Failed

As you can see, any time iCUE or CP sees the system, USB absolutely goes bonkers. During this time, both my Elgato Wave 3 and my Razer Naga Chroma died. As soon as I plug them in, they throw USB errors.

I am incredibly disappointed and frustrated. I have gone through so much work to try to pin down the problem, spent money on top of money to try to make this work.

My system specs are listed in my profile. If anyone can offer advice or a helping hand, please let me know. Thanks in advance everyone!

Edited by RealTime

I've spent the better part of the last three weeks working on this issue. Today I finally bit the bullet and am returning the ASUS ROG STRIX X570 E Gaming motherboard.

My sanity is in question. I've tried every step in all the threads regarding USB disconnect/reconnect. None have panned out on the ASUS ROG Strix X570 E Gaming board, and I think I may know why.....

The Commander Pro is older tech. Based on USB 2.0. The ROG Strix X570 E Gaming doesn't have a native 2.0 header. It uses all 3.0 "backwards compatible" USB headers.

I just swapped to my backup board, an ASUS TUF X570 WiFi, which uses a mix of native USB 2.0 headers and USB 3.0. I reimaged (for the 10th time now???). Miraculously, no issues yet. I am running Razer Synapse, iCUE, CoreTemp, and EVGA X1 Precision all together and no issues. I am also not using the USB internal header I purchased to "fix" the Commander Pro issue.

While Corsair's product, Commander Pro, may not have been 100% to blame here, Corsair still shoulders some of the responsibility for validating its product on newer boards. I blame both Corsair and ASUS.

So.Many.Hours.Wasted.

I can't help but think this is an issue with the motherboards USB more than anything else, since you're also having issues with your Naga Chroma and Wave 3. Do you have any other systems available to test?

Thanks for the response!

I absolutely agree. The ASUS 2.0 backwards compatibility on the newest boards doesn't work well. I am not sure if it's because CP and iCUE are seeking hardware connectivity and ASUS's protocols for this just aren't robust enough? Or maybe they're using some kind of USB 2.0 'virtualization' that CP + iCUE aren't coded for?

With so many other ASUS users reporting similar results, I have to think it may be a little of both. However, it may just BE a faulty board, since the ASUS TUF board works flawlessly (typing on it right now).

My Wave 3 is working (thank the silicon gods) but that Naga Chroma is toast. It was the 2014 model which was based on USB 2.0 as well, and perhaps the ASUS board killed it.

Not sure which X570 board I'll get to replace the ROG. But it won't be ASUS.

Thanks for the response!

I absolutely agree. The ASUS 2.0 backwards compatibility on the newest boards doesn't work well. I am not sure if it's because CP and iCUE are seeking hardware connectivity and ASUS's protocols for this just aren't robust enough? Or maybe they're using some kind of USB 2.0 'virtualization' that CP + iCUE aren't coded for?

With so many other ASUS users reporting similar results, I have to think it may be a little of both. However, it may just BE a faulty board, since the ASUS TUF board works flawlessly (typing on it right now).

My Wave 3 is working (thank the silicon gods) but that Naga Chroma is toast. It was the 2014 model which was based on USB 2.0 as well, and perhaps the ASUS board killed it.

Not sure which X570 board I'll get to replace the ROG. But it won't be ASUS.

I'm a pretty big fan of ASUS's products (I've seen a LOT of flakey/dead Gigabyte, AsRock, Msi boards. Some Asus, but nearly as high of a percentage).

I'd be RMA'ing the motherboard, nothing to lose at this point. If the TUF board is working perfectly, that would be worth mentioning to them as part of your troubleshooting.

I'm a pretty big fan of ASUS's products (I've seen a LOT of flakey/dead Gigabyte, AsRock, Msi boards. Some Asus, but nearly as high of a percentage).

I'd be RMA'ing the motherboard, nothing to lose at this point. If the TUF board is working perfectly, that would be worth mentioning to them as part of your troubleshooting.

That's a great suggestion. I'm still within the return period of the ROG Strix board so I am just returning it. I am looking at MSI as a replacement.

That's a great suggestion. I'm still within the return period of the ROG Strix board so I am just returning it. I am looking at MSI as a replacement.

I personally haven't been hands on with a recent MSI board, so can't offer any insight there other than to say 'best of luck' no matter what you choose :)

• 7 months later...

SO, update time:

This whole problem with my STRIX board was caused by AMD and poor AGESA integration. SO MUCH TIME WASTED.

I updated the ASUS BIOS released four days ago, and every USB 2.0 device works better. Boot time is faster. System is more responsive.

Too bad it took 6 months. I feel bad for all the poor saps that have been putting up with flakey AMD software for longer than I have.

TL;DR - Update your BIOS containing the latest AGESA microcode (currently 1.2.0.2).