Corsair Community

SF450 Platinum Inrush Current on Cold Start-Up

LuthfiKun

Hi, I just bought a brand new SF450 Platinum a couple days back and I had this problem with the breaker tripping only on a cold start-up. So, I was wondering how much current this PSU draws on a cold start-up so it trips my 900W breaker or did I receive a faulty unit.

I use Seasonic Focus Gold 650W before. It trips my 900W breaker sometimes, but not on every cold start-up, while SF450 Platinum trips my breaker on every cold start-up.

• Corsair Employee
Hi, I just bought a brand new SF450 Platinum a couple days back and I had this problem with the breaker tripping only on a cold start-up. So, I was wondering how much current this PSU draws on a cold start-up so it trips my 900W breaker or did I receive a faulty unit.

I use Seasonic Focus Gold 650W before. It trips my 900W breaker sometimes, but not on every cold start-up, while SF450 Platinum trips my breaker on every cold start-up.

You definitely need to update your breakers.

The SF will always trip where the Seasonic does not because the SF meets a more recent safety requirement where a bleeder resister has to discharge the bulk cap whenever power is discontinued from the PSU. The Seasonic doesn't have that, so the bulk cap can stay charged longer.

Side question: Why are you switching off your PC every day? You should just be shutting down in Windows and keeping the PC in standby or hibernation.

You definitely need to update your breakers.

The SF will always trip where the Seasonic does not because the SF meets a more recent safety requirement where a bleeder resister has to discharge the bulk cap whenever power is discontinued from the PSU. The Seasonic doesn't have that, so the bulk cap can stay charged longer.

Side question: Why are you switching off your PC every day? You should just be shutting down in Windows and keeping the PC in standby or hibernation.

Thanks for the answer Jonny.

Yeah, I really should update my breaker, that's soon hopefully. But anyway, it's good to know that isn't the PSU that's faulty.

As of why I'm switching off my PC every day, it's just a habit of mine really. I switch off everything after I turn-off the PC from Windows. I was thinking maybe I don't have to do a cold start-up everyday, but old habit die hard. I guess I too need to update my habit.

Thanks for the answer Jonny.

Yeah, I really should update my breaker, that's soon hopefully. But anyway, it's good to know that isn't the PSU that's faulty.

As of why I'm switching off my PC every day, it's just a habit of mine really. I switch off everything after I turn-off the PC from Windows. I was thinking maybe I don't have to do a cold start-up everyday, but old habit die hard. I guess I too need to update my habit.

It's the fastest way to kill a PSU to powercycle it daily.

It's really not needed since the mid 90's on computers ^^'

You're not saving any power anyway since the idle consumption is typically about half a watt.. saves you a £ every 10 years...