Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2020, 04:51 AM
Cold as all get-out

POST ID # = 1066954
Coldblackice Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyguru View Post
Actually, Corsair PCIe cables are 16g to the first connector.

And the "weak point" is the pin, not the wire.

And the thing that "ratings" never really tell you is that the wire or connector, etc. doesn't maintain lateral voltage across it's "rating". As the current goes up, the voltage goes down. Even within the wire's "rating". So that begs the question of "what does the 'rating' even mean?"

(It's a rhetorical question. I know the answer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallex View Post
EDIT: Lots of apparently unverifiable "nice looking numbers" - edited away. In short, my understanding is, that its safe to use pigtail; its designed to deliver both ends at the standard (150W max at both totaling 300W). Johnnyguru has better and shorter answer below.

So eventually it boils down to your preferences. Electric-wise individual cables are better, for other reasons, they're not necessarily.

In my use case, I have little interest to "overwire just to be sure", because of cable clutter and extra flat cabling potentially intervening with the airflow of already tight-spaced dual GPU setup. I will try first to cope with one cable to 2x PCIe 3080 GPU and reconsider if I bump into any issues.
I'm still confused on this. Theoretically (and just out of curiosity), how can pigtail cables withstand the same amount of current when they have half as many wires connected at the source (PSU)? Wouldn't that still put too much current on the pins/wires at the source, whether or not there's a pigtail "diffusing" things downstream? Again, just curious.

Old 10-26-2020, 05:26 AM
Kallex's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1066957
Kallex Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldblackice View Post
I'm still confused on this. Theoretically (and just out of curiosity), how can pigtail cables withstand the same amount of current when they have half as many wires connected at the source (PSU)? Wouldn't that still put too much current on the pins/wires at the source, whether or not there's a pigtail "diffusing" things downstream? Again, just curious.
I think your question is proper, but you're mixing two things.

1. Wire thickness/pin thickness plays a role here.

It can be also thicker up to before pigtail and then thinner for example. As mentioned here, Corsair uses thicker cable up before pigtail is split, so it can handle both the "split" parts power/current.

2. Twice the amount of wires will of course double the capacity

That doesn't mean that the "undoubled capacity" can still be more than enough.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:59 AM
Cold as all get-out

POST ID # = 1070711
Coldblackice Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallex View Post
I think your question is proper, but you're mixing two things.

1. Wire thickness/pin thickness plays a role here.

It can be also thicker up to before pigtail and then thinner for example. As mentioned here, Corsair uses thicker cable up before pigtail is split, so it can handle both the "split" parts power/current.

2. Twice the amount of wires will of course double the capacity

That doesn't mean that the "undoubled capacity" can still be more than enough.
Ah, that makes sense about the thicker wires preceding the pigtail split. What about the pins at the PSU side, are those heavier duty too?

Again, I'm just asking this for understanding, not debating anything.

Old 11-22-2020, 10:14 AM
Kallex's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1070712
Kallex Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldblackice View Post
Ah, that makes sense about the thicker wires preceding the pigtail split. What about the pins at the PSU side, are those heavier duty too?

Again, I'm just asking this for understanding, not debating anything.
Oh I didn't think you were debating :-). This whole thing is confusing, I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out the bits and pieces.

We are running one cable (pigtailed) peaking to 320-340W power use for RTX 3080 during gaming, no stability or any issues so far.

We don't do 24/7 for 300W right now, but not due to doubts for cabling, just lowering the power use down to 240W as the "last 30% of power results just 10% performance". We have run overnight 320W total load occasionally, with no issues either.

Our systems have good airflow, in case it matters. Both systems are powered by Corsair; RM750x (Ryzen 7 2700X) and HX1000i (Ryzen 9 3950X).

Not a single crash or game crash on either systems since 1-2 weeks of normal Folding@Home and gaming.