Corsair Community

Lian Li o11 dynamic xl build advice

Andi489156

EDIT: This post obviously ended up in the wrong category, I intended to put it into "cooling" :( can't figure out how to delete/move it myself

I am currently planing my new build but I'm very unsure on what fans I want to use.

As a case I have planed the new Lian Li o11 dynamic xl with 9 fans and a h150 i cooler for the cpu.

Inspiration for this was the following video: [ame]

[/ame]

I want to put the h150i in push on the top and 3 fans on the side and bottom each in pull.

For PSU I thought of the rm850i.

For the wiring I'm orienting myself on the following diagram which was posted in a another thread here by zotty:

EdrQ03A.jpg

(minus the Lighting Node Pro and LED strips)

What I have trouble deciding is if I want to go with the ML fans or perhaps some QLs for better rgb.

The case will be sitting on the ground next to me on the right. So I'm kind of worried that when I look down on the bottom fans I might look directly in to the LEDs of the bottom ML fans.

Also I kind of like the multi color RGB and effects which would probably look a lot better with the QLs.

What I'm worried about the QLs though is performance on the AIO cooler.

If there is any relevant noise difference between the two that would also be nice to know.

Also some other things I'm not sure about:

1. I read that with 6 QLs on one Lightning Node Pro I should not use the second RGB channel. Will this also apply to the commander pro? In which case I would need to connect the second rgb hub to an additional Lightning Node Pro, correct?

2. Any need to worry about the cable lengths of the fans? Are there extenders should I run into issues?

Any other advice you can think of is welcome too of course.

Edited by Andi489156
wrong category

The case will be sitting on the ground next to me on the right. So I'm kind of worried that when I look down on the bottom fans I might look directly in to the LEDs of the bottom ML fans.

That is a legitimate worry and a deal breaker for me with my ML-RGB fans. It is angle specific, but the LEDs are exposed in the rear and the glare drives me nuts. The low position might be better than my high with top fans causing the problem.

Also I kind of like the multi color RGB and effects which would probably look a lot better with the QLs.

I think the QLs are the perfect fit for the O11 series. You can configure the 9 fans in a number of different ways. I used LL in my O11 in an all exhaust set-up (top/side) to make sure I was on the pretty side. With QL, you can do as you wish or change later without penalty.

What I'm worried about the QLs though is performance on the AIO cooler.

If there is any relevant noise difference between the two that would also be nice to know.

No, the LL and QL are not exactly radiator champions. However, the differences in coolant temp on a 360mm are going to be small. I need to hit 500W on my dual 360mm to generate a 1-2C difference between LL and ML. Your CPU cooler won't see anywhere close to half that wattage. There really isn't a penalty. On the positive side, the LL and QL are remarkably quiet on the radiator with very little air noise. Of course part of that is they are moving a bit less air.

1) I'll leave this to someone who has them in their possession. I do not have any QL.

2) You are going to get a Commander Pro for this. There will be some fan extensions inside, although you may not need them. Most likely Commader Pro position is above the PSU area, so that makes the bottom-front, and bottom-side fans the long reach.

1) That does not apply to the Commander Pro. Only the Lighting Node Pro has this restriction. You can have both channels on the CoPro filled with 6 QLs each.

2) For fan PWM control, use the CoPro extensions. You can also use 2-way splitters on the CoPro. If you need extensions for RGB, they are available from a 3rd party. (http://www.piratedogtech.com)