Corsair Community

Asus P5Q3 Deluxe and TW3X4G1333C9DHX

kirth

Hi RamGuy,

I'm running into issues (black screens and BSODs).

Same mobo rev., latest BIOS installed (1103), latest ati drivers (8.7), the system crashes (blue screen) or just goes black after a random period of time after log in.

Already tried several settings as those reported in your post. Uninstalled 1 module of RAM, running with just 2 Gb, tried all Dimms, dram frequency (Auto - Manual - 1066, 1333), dram voltage (1.70-1.90), nb voltage (+.05 till 1.40), pci-e (105), etc. Nothing works.

I'm wondering what's the issue, if the graphic card (black screens seem to pint to that direction, as read on several other boards, many people are experiencing this problem) or ram/mobo bios/chipset compatibility? Memtest passed twice.

Sincerely I bought this specific Corsair modules cause they were on the QVL.

Hope to find a fix to all this because it is so frustrating having spent all this money and can't use the system.

Thanks in advance fo any support and help.

• Corsair Employee
Please load optimized defaults and set the Memory Voltage to 1.7 volts and then set the timings to 9-9-9-24 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS), frequency to 1333MHz and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! Please allow memtest to run 2-3 passes on each module. If you still do not have any errors, then I would suspect a software/driver conflict. You may want to see if you can get the system to lock up in safe mode, to rule out a problem on the software side of things. Let us know your results!

Thanks for the reply.

Tested each module on its own with memtest (2 passes each one), after having done the settings suggested (which were already implemented): no errors at all.

I'll try to see what happens loading Vista now. Don't have great hopes of success.

If memory is ok (as tested), what could be the problem? Mainboard BIOS/chipset still immature? I even don't know how to find the cause of this issue (black screen/green stripes/BSODs).

Thanks for your support

Booted in safe mode after having manually set dram voltage to 1.7, dram frequency 1333Mhx, CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS to 9-9-9-24, cpu voltage to 1.2 and nb voltage to 1.2. System has been up and running for 8 hours, browsed among control panel options, computer resources and things like that, run a chkdsk (no errors): no black screens and/or BSODs.

When booted in the usual way I get a BSOD.

Now the questions are: what can I check to investigate the problem? Mobo is on latest bios, gpu on catalyst 8.7, chipset drivers installed from Asus DVD (maybe there is a newer version of Intel Matrix Storage on Intel web site, does it worth a try?).

Thanks for your support!

try running system restore in windows and reset it back to a date before the problems started. if that helps it a software problem (driver most likely) installing 1 driver at a time and test that one out, before installing another one.

also try to see what kind of error you had at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263/en-us and then use your best friend : http://www.google.com

all the best,

I'm not able to install SP1 cause it goes BSOD before completing, already tried several times.

I will try again.

I would like to have a different graphic card to test. Or waiting for Asus realising a new BIOS...it's all so frustrating...

Thanks

btw: what about installing sp1 in safe mode? I've read different opinions about that. Considering I've nothing installed except catalyst and iMon (which came with the box), it could worth a try?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still running into deep waters:D:

No solution till now.

Booting with BIOS settings at default except for cpu voltage, nb voltage and sb voltage (all at 1.2), cpu_z gives me the attached results (ram, spd1, spd3, cpu).

Is there any advise looking at these?

btw: run again memtest, 3 passes each, no errors at all, but still BSDOs, black screens, etc.

Thanks

ram.JPG.8b8bc321500a8ac288d32c49720fe4a4.JPG

spd1.JPG.e03f185f344fca14424e51ceeb2ea103.JPG

spd3.JPG.35d55d1d32384fad6b53f450e2e29ee8.JPG

cpu.JPG.994f2158d234e198acaf36bf09c71238.JPG

I have been able to install via windows update some of the most important fixes (included KB929777). No luck with SP1, system crashes before completing the installation.:[pouts:

Heavely tested the first ram module: 21 passes for each dimm (it took 24 hours): no errors shown.

This evening I'll test the second one the same way.

• Corsair Employee
I think I would start fresh with another HDD if you have one and then install that patch KB 929777 and install all of the modules and load setup defaults and set the tested settings of the modules and see if it is stable in Windows and if so then install the drivers and see where it starts to fail and if not it may solve the problem.

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm back to the thread after a long time...as my rig just came back from the assistance.

Response: mobo is faulty, at least with this RAM set.

Test performed:

- 3 complete hardware rebuilds of the systems

- 2 times recabled every stuff, changing slots and cable, where feasible

- tried every possible mobo BIOS setting, as suggested on many boards (here as well)

- tested with different OSs (Vista 32 bit, XP sp3), on different HDD (Sata II, IDE)

- memtest86+ several passes each module (single run per single slot)

- final test performed by the lab (cause I didn't have spare parts) which brought to the response: replaced one by one psu, vga, cpu, ram

In all these cases system was not stable and always got BSODs and freezes.

After 2 months I'm completely bored and pissed off. Gonna RMA the board.

Now the question is (as the retailer asked me about this): what motherboard do you want to go for?

Considering I don't want to replace my 4 Gigs of COrsair RAM...what do you guys suggest me?

I need to have a stable pc, no OC needed, used mainly for HD media streaming and HD encoding.

P35? X38? X48? Another P45?:bigeyes:

Please gimme some suggestion for a working mobo with this set of RAM!

Thanks all

It doesn't work.

System POST but I always get BSODs.

Ran again memtest (3 passes each module), disabling USB legacy support within BIOS: no errors.

:dunno:

Gonna RMA the board. I'm bored.

I was thinking about P5E3 (X38 chipset): can you advise me it it works fine with my RAM set?

Thanks

That was one of the tests I could'n have done alone because of no spare parts available.

Thus I brought the rig to an assistance centre. One of the tests they performed in the lab has been replace, one by one:

psu

cpu

ram

vga (ati 38xx, nvidia 9800)

hdd

staying with the P5Q3. They said to me it always get BSODs.

:sigh!:

• 1 month later...

Archived