Corsair Community

ASUS Maximus II Formula and 2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D

Jolly

Hello,

I have just bought a ASUS Maximus II Formula and wanted to get the full poteltial out of my new system.

So i bought 2 pair of TWIN2X4069-8500C5D (4 sticks of 2GB) because im using Windows Vista 64bit.

But the problem is that if i only use 2x2Gb on my system works fine (have tried many combination of the 4 sticks) and they all work great.

When i put them all in (4x2gb) my system gets very unstable and windows wont boot 2 out of 3 times. And when i get into vista is crashed with a BSOD after a few min.

I have been searching the forum for some answers but i couldnt really find anything concrete about how to set the right settings in the BIOS.

I have followed the settings from: http://www.corsairmemory.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=607222 but it still crashes when all 4 blocks are in.

So either my MB wont work with 4blocks or im doing something wrong :S

Hope you can help me.

//Jolly

The only DDR2 DRAM modules that are supported in a four module configuration are the Quad packages.

This does not mean that they will not work. It just means that there is no support for RMA of such configurations. Also, it is not advised to mix and match versions. Please post the actual full model and versions of the two kits. Because you are populating four DRAM slots, this changes the dynamic of the system in comparison to populating with two DRAM slots. You are advised to drop the DRAM bandwidth and raise the Northbridge Memory Controller voltage +.2v to achieve stability with a four DRAM slot population.

Download Memtest Version 2.10 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Insert a stick of DRAM in Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU) and Slot 3. Enter your BIOS, Load Setup Defaults, Save Setup Defaults and set to these values:

AI Overclock Tweaker

Configure System Performance Settings

CPU Ratio Setting: 8
FSB Strap to NB: 333
FSB Freq: 333
PCIE Freq: 100
DRAM Freq: 800
DRAM Command Rate : 2T
DRAM Timing Control: Manual
CAS# Latency : 5
RAS# to CAS# Delay : 5
RAS# Precharge : 5
RAS# ActivateTime : 15
RAS# to RAS# Delay : Auto
Row Refresh Cycle Time : 72
Write Recovery Time : Auto
Read to Precharge Time : Auto

Read to Write Delay (S/D) : Auto
Write to Read Delay (S) : Auto
Write to Read Delay (D) : Auto
Read to Read Delay (S) : Auto
Read to Read Delay (D) : Auto
Write to Write Delay (S) : Auto
Write to Write Delay (D) : Auto

Write to PRE Delay : Auto
Read to PRE Delay : Auto
PRE to PRE Delay : Auto
ALL PRE to ACT Delay : Auto
ALL PRE to REF Delay : Auto

DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled
Dram Read Training : Disabled
MEM OC Charger : Disabled
Ai Clock Twister : Lighter
Transaction Booster : Manual

CPU volt: Auto
CPU PLL Voltage: Auto
NB Voltage: 1.40
DRAM Voltage: 2.1v
FSB Termination Voltage: Auto
SB Voltage: Auto
SB 1.5 Voltage: Auto

CPU GTL Reference 0 : Auto
CPU GTL Reference 1 : Auto
CPU GTL Reference 2 : Auto
CPU GTL Reference 3 : Auto
North Bridge GTL Reference : Auto
DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : Auto
DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : Auto
North Bridge DDR Reference : Auto

Load Line Calabration : Enabled
CPU Sread Spectrum : Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled
Memory Remap - Enabled

Legacy USB = Disabled (For Memtest, Enabled After Memtest)

Shut the system down. Restart to test for boot. If you gain boot, shut down the system and insert a stick in slot 3. Restart to test for boot. If you gain boot, shut down the system and insert a stick in Slot 2 and 4. Restart and boot to the Memtest86+ V2.10 CD and allow for two full passes. When assured of stable DRAM, then enter Windows and Run CPU-z and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Please post back here if you are stable as we can then move to optimize your stable system. There's not use trying to optimize an instable system. Also, what cooler are you using for your CPU?

Ill post what stands on the Modules:

1st pair:

CM2X2048-8500C5D

XMS2-8500

2048mb

1066Mhz

5-5-5-15

2.10V

Ver1.1

2nd pair:

CM2X2048-8500C5D

XMS2-8500

2048Mb

1066Mhz

5-5-5-15

2.10V

Ver1.1

So they should be the same version and model.

Edit: i have posted 2 pictures of the ram-modules

ram1.thumb.JPG.2f0b353d5c093d95710ab817563b5589.JPG

ram2.thumb.JPG.74aa4b6f9105a29b5ff9f5fdab7a736a.JPG

Ohh, didnt see that - it was getting late and i think i was getting to annoyed to double check all the settings :)

But ill take a look at it tonight when i get home, and cross my fingers.

And about some of the settings, i couldnt set the ones you said, so had to find the closest settings like:

Row Refresh Cycle Time - i was only able to set it to 70 or 75 (or with a interval of 5) and not 72 :/

PS: Im relative new to this settings/tweaking stuff, so bear with me :)

I have double checked the settings this time, and now the system will boot, but it gets alot of errors in the memtest, and some times i freezes at

Pass: 0% - Test 25-27%

And you said i didnt follow your settings, could you explain if i have done something horrible wrong?

memtest-error.thumb.JPG.34b6321a43e85c0583d82124a48f19a5.JPG

I have double checked the settings this time, and now the system will boot, but it gets alot of errors in the memtest, and some times i freezes at

Pass: 0% - Test 25-27%

And you said i didnt follow your settings, could you explain if i have done something horrible wrong?

If you are setting to PL5, then you are not following my settings. Closest intervals are fine. Load setup defaults. Save setup defaults. Follow my previous request for testing modules singly in slot 1 and 3. AS ABOVE. Then, shut the system down. Insert a single stick of DRAM in slot 2 (closest to the CPU). Then, enter BIOS and please set to the given values. Then boot to the memtest CD. Allow for two full passes unless you error out. Then shut down, remove the stick and insert the second stick in slot 4 and retest. You should now have tested all modules twice. Once in slot 1 and 2 for one stick and once in slot 3 and 4 in the other setup.

Results?

If you by PL mean "Common Performance Level" then i have set it to 8 as you wrote in your second reply. The only reason it was set to 5 was because it was the default value it was set to.

And i hope i have understand what you say about testing:

pair 1 in slot 1&3 for 2 passes

then

pair 1 in slot 2&4 for 2 passes

and then the same for pair 2.

Again im really sorry for all these replys, but i have gotten my self into some stuff thats harder than i can manage, so its just to make sure im doing the right thing.

I have now tested my modules in single and dual configuration and it seems like one of the modules are defect since it gives me error during test alone and in test ttwith the other it came with.

So i think i should just return the pair to the store and get some new one or simply get my money back and then only have 4Gb :/

Now that im going to return them, just for fun i just tested the other 3 modules in my pc, and the memtest have now passed 2 times with no errors, so its defenetly that single module that is the cause for the problems.

So i think i should just return the pair to the store and get some new one or simply get my money back and then only have 4Gb :/

Good testing and understanding of the isolation. I agree that a RMA of the pair that contains the erroring module is the route. 4GB is more than enough.

Archived