Corsair Community

Would you call me an idiot?

Nec_V20

It wouldn't BSOD. It would just overload the PSU and shut down.

Seems like a pretty useless thing to do.

I think Synthohol is getting there - you are very cold.

Which surprises me.

I would have thought that you would have looked at the 450 Watt PSU I was thinking about (and no it is not the Corsair RM 450, that was just an example) and would have written about it.

I was thinking of this:

sWXVkhhsjyY2KANn.huge

• Corsair Employee
I think Synthohol is getting there - you are very cold.

Which surprises me.

I would have thought that you would have looked at the 450 Watt PSU I was thinking about (and no it is not the Corsair RM 450, that was just an example) and would have written about it.

You said RM450. You didn't say it was an example.

You're not making much sense.

• Corsair Employee
That looks like a Mac Pro PSU. It's a very good PSU. Rated at continuous at 50C. It is underpowered, but the reason it's not an issue is because the Mac Pro overheats so damn much, the CPU and GPUs are constantly throttling and you're never using all that glorious hardware to its full potential.

That looks like a Mac Pro PSU. It's a very good PSU. Rated at continuous at 50C. It is underpowered, but the reason it's not an issue is because the Mac Pro overheats so damn much, the CPU and GPUs are constantly throttling and you're never using all that glorious hardware to its full potential.

Well done that man. What has me stumped is that unless the MacPro is a total scam, which idiot thought that a 450 Watt PSU would be enough to power it?

Just looking at the specs for the CPU and GPUs it is about 200 Watt underpowered - never mind about RAM.

I suppose that you answered my question because if they had put in a PSU adequate to power the system to its potential then the components would fry because that pissy little 140mm fan, no matter how "cyclonic" (marketdroid speech for "it sucks in air") wouldn't be able to cool it.

On the other hand it is a pretty good vacuum cleaner for your desk.

• Corsair Employee

If the PSU was more powerful, the components wouldn't fry. The components are overheating and throttling and this is preventing them from needing more power.

It's amazing how little power you need when your stuff overheats and throttles. They could've gotten away with using lower-end CPU and GPUs in that thing and maintained the same level of performance, but lower-end components don't look good in the bullet-points when feeding drivel to Apple fan-boys.

If the PSU was more powerful, the components wouldn't fry. The components are overheating and throttling and this is preventing them from needing more power.

It's amazing how little power you need when your stuff overheats and throttles. They could've gotten away with using lower-end CPU and GPUs in that thing and maintained the same level of performance, but lower-end components don't look good in the bullet-points when feeding drivel to Apple fan-boys.

I was doing the YouTube equivalent of "chinese whispers" and I came across this:

[ame]

[/ame]

Thing is that the person is an Apple fan-boy and he ran Windows on the MacPro. He ran Battlefield 4 at 4K in ultra quality settings and he was getting a frame-rate of 15FPS. Looking at the equivalent scores for my pissy single little R9 280X at the same settings it comes out to 30 FPS.

This got me taking a closer look at the MacPro and its specs - which is pretty hard to find.

To say that I was gobsmacked when I saw all that high end CPU and GPUs running off a piddly little 450 Watt PSU would be an understatement.

I've always been suspicious of the cooling system of the MacPro because let's face it, there is a reason why graphics cards manufacturers have heat pipes attached and why CPUs are water cooled, but Apple's salescritters and marketdroids obviously know more than Scottie when he said to Kirk, "Ye canna defy the laws of physics" a 140mm fan and exposing the components to the elements will do the trick.

The only thing that I can think of is that Apple not only thinks, but actually knows, that any potential customer of theirs is bollock stupid.

Archived