Corsair Community

H115i Pro fan speeds

pmennen

Icue reports that my pump speed on my H115i Pro is 1950/2333/2690 rpm on the quiet, balanced, and extreme settings (I looked when the computer was essentially idle). I don't' really hear any difference. If I use the extreme setting will that shorten the lifespan of the cooler? Does this run on a temperature profile? I don't see how to view or adjust this profile within Icue. Is this possible?

Also the SIV fan viewer reports that the CPU fan is running at 4690 rpm. (I assume the builder connected the Corsair cooler to the CPU fan header although I can't see that without removing the radiator.) What is that? Is there really a fan inside the cooler running that fast? If it is a fan, it doesn't seem controllable as the settings do not change the fan speed.

Thanks

~Paul

All Corsair AIO pumps are fixed speed. Those three fan presets (Quiet/Balanced/Extreme) also double as the three pump speeds, but with with a Low/Medium/High type functionality. Most people will not see much if any temperature difference between them since flow rate is not a large cooling factor for short length, 1 block AIO coolers. Like the fans, click on the speed first and it highlights yellow. Then click the pump RPM. It should ring yellow to show it has been applied.

As for longevity, its usually measured in terms of hours of use (MTBF) and I have never seen any evidence across multiple models of users coming back with a connection between "my pump died earlier than expected" and "I always run it at the highest speed". There does not seem to be any link at all and most early pump failures are not mechanical. that said, it would be hard to make an argument that running it faster makes it last longer, so I would use the one you want to and leave it at that. Extreme is going to be audible for most people. I usually parked it on Medium and never needed to adjust it.

Are you sure you have a H115i Pro and not the XT or Platinum version? Those pump speeds are a match for the XT/Platinum (same pump in both) and what you see in the BIOS is also normal for that model. A pump doesn't really turn the same way a fan does and most use a divider to turn it into a number we recognize as "RPM". Corsair units usually use 2 and so the BIOS would read double the actual pump speed.

iCue identifies my unit as a H155i Pro XT. I don't know if that is what you were referring to as the Pro or the XT. (confusing names). Thanks for the explanation of the 2x multiplier. Now that I know this I can see that the CPU fan readout does track pretty close to twice the value that iCue reports for the pump speed at the 3 different presets. BTW, iCue can't report the two radiator fan speeds because the assembler (mistakenlty?) connected those fans to the motherboard fan headers. I assume that isn't a problem since I can still conrtrol those fans using the motherboard fan control software.

I don't know if that is what you were referring to as the Pro or the XT. (confusing names).

LOL. Oh, you have no idea and I have no idea why they needed to include the "Pro" tag on the XT series. It's full name is H115i Pro XT, but that makes it very confusing with the lateral product "H115i Pro". They have different partner manufacturers and different operational specs. I try to refer to it as the XT to differentiate the 3 cooler types (Pro, Platinum, XT) and without confusing someone looking at the Platinum XT Keyboard.

Radiator fans on the MB vs the AIO fan controller. Both will work. The difference is going to be the control variable. When on the MB they will most likely be running from CPU temp. That will prevent overheating, but it also makes the fans ramp up and down in speed with every blip of the CPU. The cooling process doesn't work that way and the water system is like a secondary holding tank for the heat. As long as you keep blowing the trash waste heat off at a steady rate, it doesn't pile up and things are low as they can be. The initial heat transfer from CPU to the cooling stream is purely conductive and there is nothing you can do with that. The rate is constant.

The alternative is using the H150i XT controller. There should be a splitter on the pump for the 3 fans. This will move their control into the iCUE software and you can manage them from the desktop. This is the most efficient, least noisy way to manage things. The downside is the range of values for coolant temperature are usually unfamiliar when you first start. They are also affected by room/case temperature, so most people will have a different scale for Winter vs Summer. It will take a little bit to become familiar with the normal behavior.

I recommend most people use the AIO controller and learn the behavior. Otherwise you are likely carrying a noise penalty with more active fans on a denser radiator. If you hate it, you can always tell iCUE to use CPU temp instead for a quick comparison, while still maintaining software control.

Thanks again c-attack for your informative reply. Yes I have been noticing the noise blip every time the CPU starts even a minor task. A little annoying. I was going to reconnect the radiator fans to the AIO fan controller as it should be but even after removing all the screws I couldn't get the radiator out so I couldn't disconnect the fan connectors from the motherboard headers obscured by the radiator. Some day I will need to figure that out but in the mean time I just selected one of the temperature sensors on the other side of the mother board from the CPU which is more or less measuring case ambient air. (This can be done in the fan control software.) Not as good as controlling the fan curve from the coolant temp but it seems to be working pretty effectively so far and I don't get those noise blips any more.