The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2018, 07:26 PM

POST ID # = 955481
nibennett Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charixfox View Post
You can either run each fan/strip on separate outputs (Not efficient code-wise) or you can daisy-chain them and address them in series. That is, Fan 1 is LEDs 0-11, fan two is 12-23, and so on. The fourth pin on the fans' LED connection is the data coming from the far end of the LEDs on the fan and to be sent to the next fan.
Sounds like in series is the way to go. Wire them all in order as per original plan, then define as different series through the led number.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:38 AM

POST ID # = 994871
alexmarz850 Reputation: 10

Any update on this project? Did you ever get the leds addressed in series using one data-output pin? Would you mind sharing your code?

Old 02-19-2019, 03:24 PM
Doer of Things and Stuff
Charixfox's PC Specs

POST ID # = 994895
Charixfox Reputation: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmarz850 View Post
Any update on this project? Did you ever get the leds addressed in series using one data-output pin? Would you mind sharing your code?
Hi Alex!

Are you asking about my code as the original poster, or are you asking about nibennet's 3D printer enclosure project?

Old 06-21-2019, 05:46 AM
mofuzzy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1008749
mofuzzy Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charixfox View Post
It's been a long, exciting journey from the origin of the custom RGB LED controller for the HD120 RGB fans in the thread at http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=165029

There have been ups and downs and excitement and failures and a lot of people doing wonderful things.

Now there are LL fans and two new devices on Corsair's side, the LNP and Commander Plus, and Link is finally starting to catch up with Doing Things with the lights.

So the time comes to ask:
Is there enough interest for me to continue development on the firmware for a custom controller, or do the capabilities of the two Corsair items and Link make it obsolete?

Mind you, I'm going to continue to use it myself no matter what despite having ... huh... five LNP's now. Sheesh. But further development of the firmware beyond personal desires would primarily be to make more interesting things, more capabilities, and more potential for it to be more user friendly.

Just... it would still require some help on the computer side. ^.^; Firmware is fine, but my computer-side-software skills are sorely lacking.

I'll take claims of obsolescence into account, but requests to continue hold the weight to get continuation.

Hey there! I'm new to this forum and I recently built a new rig with two Corsair HD fans. The thing is though, I didn't buy the twin/triple packs that come with the controller. Now i'm stuck with lightless fans, and I'm wondering how compatible these fans are with the motherboard ARGB pins.

I've got some experience with Arduino LED strips myself, and does the RGB work the same way on motherboards (for ARGB) as the typical Arduino Data pin? I saw this simple CoolerMaster ARGB splitter that connects to a mobo's ARGB slot, and I was wondering if this could be a possible workaround to my current problem.

It'll be great if anyone has tried this before and could shed some light on this.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:16 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1008763
DevBiker Reputation: 88

Motherboard ARGB using WS2812B just like the Corsair fans. There is an adapter for Aura motherboard to 3 pin Corsair, which would go to a fan hub. It would also be possible to do a single adapters from motherboard RGB to 2 Corsair fans.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:14 PM
mofuzzy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1008798
mofuzzy Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
Motherboard ARGB using WS2812B just like the Corsair fans. There is an adapter for Aura motherboard to 3 pin Corsair, which would go to a fan hub. It would also be possible to do a single adapters from motherboard RGB to 2 Corsair fans.
Thanks for the information!

I decided to take a risk and did some manual testing on the fan RGBs myself, and yes it is really the WS2812B LED strip. Works exactly like how I used these strips for other purposes, just that my Asrock MOBO won't control it. I think it's due to the software/firmware issue of the native RGB controller though.

For reference if anyone wants to know the exact pinouts of the RGB headers on the HD140 fans

Top View (the protruding part that clicks/latches is on the top) (not sure how to describe)

https://imgur.com/a/sy9ccfq

1. 5V (Red wire)
2. Data Out (This can be left unconnected or to the Data In on the next LED strip). (Green wire)
3. Data In (Data out from computer/source connects to this)
4. GND (Black wire)

*PS terrible formatting of post - and after more testing I realised that the Data In and Data Out pins were actually reversed (probably a nifty little trick to prevent users from using standard ARGB ports on their mobos)

Last edited by mofuzzy; 06-24-2019 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Image not included