The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 01:18 AM
parsec's PC Specs

POST ID # = 553153
parsec Reputation: 10

Peanutz, that will work for some, but not all cables. For example, the SATA power cables used on the HX750 and HX850 are made with flat, ribbon-like cabling, and the connectors cannot be turned in the way you mentioned. Neither can those connectors on a very new PS that I use, made by one of the largest OEM and retail PS manufactures.

Basically, this problem is caused by the design of the SATA power connectors made for use on power supply cables. The wires enter and exit the connectors on the top and bottom, not on the back of the connector, the back being the side opposite the end plugged into the SATA device. With the wires entering the back side of the connector, it's usually possible to turn the connector 180 degrees to achieve the correct orientation. On typical multi-connector SATA power cables, only the last connector on the cable has the wires enter the back of the connector. Many molex connectors have the cables entering at the back of the connector.

Since much of this issue could be viewed as an annoyance, or compromise rather than strictly a non-functioning or non-useable cable, we may not get much sympathy from PS manufactures. IMO, since this really is a problem only with SATA power cables, it wouldn't be to difficult to stock top and bottom PS oriented SATA power cables. A manufacture offering this option might attract more sales.

I'm forgetting that this applies only to modular power supplies. A change in the design of the SATA power connectors that allows a simple change in their orientation is the only all around fix.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Homewrecker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 553739
Homewrecker Reputation: 10

I'm just finishing up my 800D build and have run into this same problem with my AX1200 PSU. I thought this would be an isolated case but apparently not.

Due to known issues with the backplane used with SSD's I have chosen to avoid potential problems and have removed it. I'm running the power cables directly into the back of each drive. Since the connectors are upside down relative to the keyway on the drives I had to twist the crap out of them just to get them to fit and there is too much spacing between the connectors compared to the drives in the hot swap bay. Needless to say when I was done it looked like absolute crap and is probably putting more tension/stress on the drive connectors than I would like.

The cables for the AX1200 are stiff as hell and cannot be easily manipulated - especially the flat SATA & Molex ribbon cables. I'm trying to find a solution for this because there is no way that I'm going to leave it like this.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:54 AM
parsec's PC Specs

POST ID # = 554012
parsec Reputation: 10

Adapters might make things better, but that is up to you.

SATA power splitter cables, usually with two power connectors for drives on them and one to connect to the PS SATA cable, are common. But watch out, these adapters can have the same issue as the regular cables, so check the keyed slot in the adapter before you buy.

Then there are molex to SATA power adapters, or more kinds than I can describe.

Some people make their own cables, which requires special tools and patience, but you can find the connectors, pins, and tools at on line stores.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:20 PM
06MonteSS's PC Specs

POST ID # = 609761
06MonteSS Reputation: 10

I ran in to the same exact issue with my AX850... my case is a top-mount case, and the damn connectors on the cables are upside down, meant to be coming up from the bottom...

my case has vents on the top though - so I was thinking I can just flip the PSU over and mount it so that the fan is facing up at the top of the case (instead of facing in towards motherboard), and this will in turn change the orientation of which way the cables are plugged into the back of the PSU, which will correct the other end issue of being upside down - and they will be the correct orientation to just plug right into the drives... and since my case is all vented on the top right above the PSU, having the fan facing the top will allow it to bring in cooler air from the top/outside of the case to cool itself....

Old 10-26-2012, 05:23 PM

POST ID # = 609769
GeneralEclectic Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsec View Post
This situation, the orientation of the SATA power connectors relative to the power supply's mounting position, top or bottom, will always leave those with one or the other PS mounting position, unhappy
Well, isn't a modular power supply exactly the situation where this could be easily addressed? One set of top-mount cables, one of bottom mount. Or make two SKUs with the cable-orientation variations? (that's a lousy idea, IMO). Better yet, make the modular cables such that they satisfy the majority of applications, and give the customer a coupon to send in for a set of complimentary cables for the other, less popular, orientation. What a way to make loyal, happy, customers, eh?

Where do you (Ram Guy?) get the idea that bottom mounting is more popular, by the way?

What we're suffering from here is simply a lack of imagination and a desire to see the issues from the customer perspective. That's rotten Marketing -- no news there.

Corsair Marketing needs a real shake-up. Their web page specifications are lame, and they can't seem to think out of their little, self-imposed box.

Last edited by GeneralEclectic; 10-26-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:25 PM

POST ID # = 609770
GeneralEclectic Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post
so I was thinking I can just flip the PSU over and mount it so that the fan is facing up at the top of the case (instead of facing in towards motherboard), and this will in turn change the orientation of which way the cables are plugged into the back of the PSU, which will correct the other end issue of being upside down - and they will be the correct orientation to just plug right into the drives...
Nope. You haven't thought this through all the way. Flipping over the PSU will accomplish nothing that simply twisting the cables 1/2 turn wouldn't, which isn't going to help with your situation at all.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:05 PM
06MonteSS's PC Specs

POST ID # = 609801
06MonteSS Reputation: 10

How about using different cables then? I have a full set of modular cables from my previous seasonic psu (600w), and those are facing the correct direction... Can I use those cables on my corsair psu instead of the corsair cables that came with it??

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 10-26-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Bearded Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 609810
Technobeard Reputation: 68

Do not use cables from a different PSU as they wouldn't be compatible.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:34 PM

POST ID # = 682460
Notorious Bob Reputation: 10

Just wondering if there was ever a solution to this - i.e. Corsair selling the sata cables with the plugs the other way around?

Just installed a new HX750 - ATX, top mounted, and sure enough the SATA plugs for the HDDs are upside down. Have to twist them and use more than one to power the 3 HDDs which is a little bit crappy.

Any alternatives out there a year on?.....

Old 03-23-2014, 07:28 AM
chostelet's PC Specs

POST ID # = 702639
chostelet Reputation: 10

Same here with an AX1200 at the bottom. Unable to use 1 SATA plug out of 4 due to this misorientation.
Can't Corsair propose a set of SATA cables with other orientation?