Corsair Community

Carbide 500R Is Wonderful

G50EED

I just finished building my wife's new computer in the Carbide 500R and the experience couldn't have been better. My computer is in the Graphite 600T and, quite honestly, the 500R has all of the essential features of the 600T with a noticeably smaller footprint. If the 500R had been in existence when I did my build I would have purchased it instead of the 600T. As it is I'll be buying one anyway and will try to sell my 600T locally.

I have only two nits to pick regarding the 500R and they're really both about the same thing. I don't see the point in having a firewire connection on the front panel; my wife's motherboard doesn't even have a firewire connection on it. Instead the space would have been better utilized for another USB 3.0 port.

Just as a point of reference for others interested: the internal fan connector will connect only the three supplied fans with the built-in LEDs. It will not accept a normal 3-pin fan connector such as the one on the rear panel fan. No big deal; just wanted to share the information.

Pictures of the parts and the finished build. I told my wife I am really jealous; for some reason her build looks a lot cleaner than mine and I've gone over mine three times to tidy it up!

Parts.thumb.jpg.ee0913cb0e55dddf11a15b9a50d95c86.jpg

Finished.thumb.jpg.80dac5e69ebc8fd5359a065678d65520.jpg

Sounds very good, I had my eye on this case however hearing that the fan connector only works for the side panel and front two kind of deters me given that the price over here in Australia is a fair bit more. So does that mean you just connected the rear and top fans to the motherboard running at full speed? (: I am still thinking of getting it as opposed to the 400R seeing as there are great features and the fan control isnt a total put off. Btw, the case and set up you got for your wife is awesome ~

Oh yes, and also might I ask.. Is the fan controller going to work only for Corsair branded fans? Hence in the future if they break down or is replaced, will the fan controller still be useful? Given that the 3 pin isnt a normal 3 pin (according to your statement).

I apologize in advance for the multiple questions.

Look`s like you guys have a great case on your hands. I was wondering, can you remove both HDD cages not just the upper one?

Well, I do not personally own one myself but I have seen the NewEgg review of this 500R case,

It shows both hdd cages being removed. :)

Sounds very good, I had my eye on this case however hearing that the fan connector only works for the side panel and front two kind of deters me given that the price over here in Australia is a fair bit more. So does that mean you just connected the rear and top fans to the motherboard running at full speed? (: I am still thinking of getting it as opposed to the 400R seeing as there are great features and the fan control isnt a total put off. Btw, the case and set up you got for your wife is awesome ~

Oh yes, and also might I ask.. Is the fan controller going to work only for Corsair branded fans? Hence in the future if they break down or is replaced, will the fan controller still be useful? Given that the 3 pin isnt a normal 3 pin (according to your statement).

I apologize in advance for the multiple questions.

You also have the option to pair this case with the h100 cpu water cooler and the link commander. The link commander, which if I understand it right, would give you the ability to control all the fans through a software based interface...........

I have been thinking of going with the 500R, with a h100 cpu cooler, the link commander running the guts, and a undecided psu. All based on a new x79 board (probably msi) with quad corsair memory (unknown what) and the new m60 mouse, and k60 keyboard...........This would make me appear to be a corsair fanboy. The fact of the matter is at this exact moment in time Corsair is hitting the bullseye with all products in all product lines..........basically making almost exactly what I want.....For reference my current older build has corsair ram but thats it. Im not sure who is calling the shots at Corsair but they are going in the right direction.

Now one quick question that I cant find the answer to:

On newegg the video review for the h100 fitted in the 500r shows the radiator fitting perfect in the top with the mesh sitting on top. Is there enough room in the case to attach the 2x120 fans on the inside of the case blowing out and having this not interfere with the new x-79 boards and ram???? And is the h100 compatible with the 2100 series cpu's on the x-79 without any special brackets.

Thanks

I've just built a new system with the 500R case and H100, with the radiator on top in the case recess and the fans underneath, there was plenty of clearance above the Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard.

With the pump set on the lowest speed and the front fan switch on the middle setting it's whisper quiet sitting right next to the case. Even with auto overclocking in the bios to 30% giving a clock of 4300mhz, CPU temperatures only peak at high 50c on full load.

VERY pleased so far.

I've just built a new system with the 500R case and H100, with the radiator on top in the case recess and the fans underneath, there was plenty of clearance above the Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard.

With the pump set on the lowest speed and the front fan switch on the middle setting it's whisper quiet sitting right next to the case. Even with auto overclocking in the bios to 30% giving a clock of 4300mhz, CPU temperatures only peak at high 50c on full load.

VERY pleased so far.

Nice!

I plan to get a 500R myself, I am going to start with the standard ** hypermaster 212+ EVO and then ill switch to liquid cooling once it gets cheaper :D

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to append my original post but as I stated in the beginning I intended to move my components into a 500R given the wonderful results I experienced building my wife's system in that case. I finished the move earlier today. Besides the 500R having a much smaller footprint my temperatures are 5-10° cooler. I know that seems counterintuitive given the 600T's cavernous size but it is what it is. My HD 6990 also runs 5-10° cooler under maximum loads. If Corsair would only scrap the front panel firewire connector in favor of 2 more USB 3.0 ports (or an eSATA port) I think the 500R would be the perfect case.

1899039247_Finished1.thumb.jpg.4bc5d1d414f967b4a3461f77f3954362.jpg

747804760_Finished3.thumb.jpg.ae2efe105e601e82a266804eac5bdd5e.jpg

1033174500_Finished4.thumb.jpg.2981eff9a125e8ae78f32c901944b379.jpg

1991631296_Finished2.thumb.jpg.9d7861a5086533c66df9e48e192b9bb0.jpg

meh. it'd be the perfect case if it had dust filters on the side panel intake!

OP: as to the fan controller, did you mean that it controls the FOUR supplied fans? there are 4 since 2 in front, 1 side, 1 rear.

or does the fan controller really only control three? (leaving the rear fan out)

Yes because for me size is a huge consideration. I need a case no longer (deep) than 20 inches. My wife and I keep our PCs in a cabinet and when not in use we want the cabinet doors to close. A case deeper than 20 inches won't allow that without repositioning the case each time we want to close the cabinet. Probably a unique situation. On a more personal level, I really think the 500R is the best looking case Corsair has come out with to date. Style is always subjective I realize. Finally I don't need the additional features of the 650 (the top-side HDD hot-swap bay being the one people seem to value most).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, so here's my 3rd build in the 500r. For X-Mas I splurged on a new X79 motherboard, 3930K CPU, AX1200 PSU (just for safety's sake) and H100 cooler (because my H70 would not come close to clearing the DIMMs to the rear of CPU). I stand behind my original assertion: for me at least, the 500r is about the most ideal case design possible (best marriage of external footprint and internal space). Also, by this 3rd go-around I finally figured out the secret to good cable management behind the motherboard (looked at several on line reviews -- route as many cables as possible using the channel at the perimeter of the case). I actually got the right side panel to close correctly on the first attempt:D:.

That top GPU you see is the HD6990 which is the longest card out there and notice that it still clears the 5¼" bays. Also, my old AX850 was doing just fine powering the two cards (HD6990 and HD6970) but I upgraded to the 1200 just to be extra safe. Lastly, even though the RAM is rated only for 1866 operation it has been doing just fine at 2000.

Nice job all around, Corsair!

DSC_0101.thumb.jpg.4d37a69eaed6713ccb4d723933933890.jpg

DSC_0102.thumb.jpg.7fdf93e99310d4bad13ed37002fa0e42.jpg

DSC_0105.thumb.jpg.df9402deee7f77cd9b5a84fa62451b91.jpg

DSC_0107.thumb.jpg.3e1a804ebc882bde50e1ba160cf3c57d.jpg

DSC_0109.thumb.jpg.daee7f1c91c2848b9bc7d14ed871184a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
This is the thread that I have been looking for so long!!! omg you sir should be thanked a million times! please can u answer a question for me? You removed the hard drive bays (which i was going to do as well) so where did you put the hard drive in? and how?

You removed the hard drive bays (which i was going to do as well) so where did you put the hard drive in? and how?

It's really not too difficult. All you need is this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001UZQWG/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details

Those brackets will attach to any standard 3½" HDD (screws included). Once done you can install the drive into one of the 5¼" bays just like it was an optical drive. Then you must actually attach the drive to the case with screws (also provided). In my case my HDD is a Corsair SSD which comes with a 3½" adapter of its own. So I attached that to the SSD and then used the brackets to mount the drive in one of the 5¼" bays. And, yes, you can still attach the front panel mesh when you're done.

Glad to help!

Okay, so here's my 3rd build in the 500r. For X-Mas I splurged on a new X79 motherboard, 3930K CPU, AX1200 PSU (just for safety's sake) and H100 cooler (because my H70 would not come close to clearing the DIMMs to the rear of CPU). I stand behind my original assertion: for me at least, the 500r is about the most ideal case design possible (best marriage of external footprint and internal space). Also, by this 3rd go-around I finally figured out the secret to good cable management behind the motherboard (looked at several on line reviews -- route as many cables as possible using the channel at the perimeter of the case). I actually got the right side panel to close correctly on the first attempt:D:.

That top GPU you see is the HD6990 which is the longest card out there and notice that it still clears the 5¼" bays. Also, my old AX850 was doing just fine powering the two cards (HD6990 and HD6970) but I upgraded to the 1200 just to be extra safe. Lastly, even though the RAM is rated only for 1866 operation it has been doing just fine at 2000.

Nice job all around, Corsair!

Clean up the cables we see out back, it makes it look messy even if it isn't. Can you tidy up the h100 cables?

Nice build!!!!

Archived