Corsair Community

400R front fans are not working ?

stufz

Hi -

I finished the build the other night, and was able to fire up the 400R.

I'm using the CM N520 heatsink/fan cooler, which uses 3 pin connectors and will not fit the 4 pin mobo connectors - ASUS P7P55D-E LX - so have connected the cooler's single lead to the power fan connector.

Today at first startup, I realized that the front fans were not spinning - no LED at first, so I thought I had hit the LED switch. Nope. So the 2 front fans are run together into a female molex - which I then connected using a molex cable with 3pin male/female connectors and plugged it into a Chassis fan connector that had been powering 1 of my addon Scythe fans. Still no spinup on the front fans.

I don't know what to do now, I've never had a fan spinup problem, and I've managed to get thru about 2 dozen pc builds over the last few years. I'm not sure if this is a Corsair parts fix or .... ?

thanks for the read .. and here's a pic of this build

http://theblackduck.net/pix/whole_case_w_cm520a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
The front fans on my case doesn't work either. When u say where are they plugged in, is there suppose to be a wire that goes onto the motherboard? I'm asking this because I saw the wires from the 2 front fans go up towards the power button.

I'm right there with you man. just built my computer with this case today and had the same question. I saw how the cable went back up to where the power button is, i figured that maybe the power ran through the switch and then to the fans... but they're not lit up or spooling up. so how are we suppose to attach these front fans to the mobo?

@bomb3rboy & bones311

There may be a molex connector coming out from the front panel. Because the wires going up to the front panel is for the fan controller. Find all the wires that are from the front panel and see if you can find the molex connector.

When I looked at my front fans for the first time I couldn't see the connector either. Look closely and you should see 2 thin wires connected to a molex cable. Plug that into your PSU and your fans will work.

There is no 3 or 4 pin connector as the fans are all wired up to a harness for the molex power.

Mine was tucked inside a 5 1/4 inch bay.

@toasted and Nahaz. thanks guys... i found the connector.

basically like Nahaz said. the two front fans run into a wire that bridges them... and that wire runs into a 4 pin peripheral plug. pluged it into my psu and im good to go. I dunno how I missed it when I was plugging everything in. hopefully bomb3rboy gets his attached.

wow, cool. My molex connector didnt work, so I was able to run the fans' own 3 pin connectors to the mobo - long enough. And I just got my replacement front panel controller !! woohoo ! lil bit afraid to try it but I will, I want to see those front fans led's light up WHITE !

I had no trouble finding the Molex connector, but it's female, and so are the ones on my power supply cable. When I first saw the female connector I assumed it was there for me to plug another fan into. But, I can't find a male connector. So, do the front panel fans really get their power from a female connector, and why? What am I missing?

I had no trouble finding the Molex connector, but it's female, and so are the ones on my power supply cable. When I first saw the female connector I assumed it was there for me to plug another fan into. But, I can't find a male connector. So, do the front panel fans really get their power from a female connector, and why? What am I missing?

the fan connector has a male side and female, i made the same mistake at first but then i looked at the reverse side. you could actually daisy chain off the fan connector

the fan connector has a male side and female, i made the same mistake at first but then i looked at the reverse side. you could actually daisy chain off the fan connector

When I read that I was sure you must have a different connector than I do, but sure enough, upon further inspection, the pins are there. I was looking for something with protruding pins, which gives you some idea of how long it's been since I assembled a system.

Just for laughs here's another "Man I sure am rusty" anecdote. While waiting for your reply, I found a male-molex-to-4-pin-female adaptor, which seemed to be exactly what I needed. I tried it, but it didn't work, and the latch didn't fit quite right. Eventually I realized I was trying to power a fan with a floppy drive power connector. I disconnected that, but forgot to reconnect the rear power fan, so I then proceeded to install Windows 8 (preview) with only the power supply fan and CPU fan running. Fortunately I was using a 95W CPU and an SSD, so the only thing the power supply fan really had to cool was the power supply.

I'm having the same problem and I am still not quite understanding this (My first computer build). Do I need a separate cable that was not included with my case? Someone had the same problem in another thread and posted these pictures http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=99464&highlight=fans (Post #5). This is the 500R, but the I have the same cables as are shown in the pictures.

As explained before, your front fans are all wired up and are powered from a normal 12 volt molex plug. You should find in your case a black molex plug that is then used to power the front fans.

Just trace the fan wires after they plug into the splitter and you should be able to find it. Use a 12 volt male molex from your PSU and connect it to the black molex that has both fans connected.

See below for example.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/Zahan/molex.jpg

Archived