Corsair Community

LL 120 Fans w/ Commander Pro Flickering

Revat

Hey folks,

I've been having an issue with my LL 120 fans recently and I've yet to find any solutions after poking around online a good bit. I'm not sure if anyone else has run into this, but if you have any leads or ideas as to what is happening would be fantastic.

I recently upgraded my HD120 fans to the LL series and the lighting on them has gone absolutely insane. I originally was using a Lighting node pro w/ 4 LED strips and 6 fans, and everything functioned with the HDs perfectly. However, upon swapping the fans over to the LLs I noticed insane flickering on the fans when the brightness is turned up on them, and to a lesser extent when the brightness is turned down. I thought this was an issue with the lightning node pro so I swapped over to the commander pro and the issue is still there. Thinking it might be a power issue I swapped the RGB hub, and the commander over to a separate 800w PSU to rule that out, and the issue was still there. I've tried re-ordering the fans on the RGB hub as well but no luck there. I've also tried just about every combo of firmware and software that supports the new LL fans, but I just can't seem to figure out what's going on here. I'm starting to think it's one of the fans that has a short in it or something, at least on the LED side of things, since there's absolutely zero issue controlling the actual fan itself on any speed inside link. I've included a short GIF of the issue in action... but beware, it's a bit seizure inducing.

LL 120 Fans Flickering

If anyone has any clue as to what is causing this, or has seen this happen in the past please let me know.

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee
Hey folks,

I've been having an issue with my LL 120 fans recently and I've yet to find any solutions after poking around online a good bit. I'm not sure if anyone else has run into this, but if you have any leads or ideas as to what is happening would be fantastic.

I recently upgraded my HD120 fans to the LL series and the lighting on them has gone absolutely insane. I originally was using a Lighting node pro w/ 4 LED strips and 6 fans, and everything functioned with the HDs perfectly. However, upon swapping the fans over to the LLs I noticed insane flickering on the fans when the brightness is turned up on them, and to a lesser extent when the brightness is turned down. I thought this was an issue with the lightning node pro so I swapped over to the commander pro and the issue is still there. Thinking it might be a power issue I swapped the RGB hub, and the commander over to a separate 800w PSU to rule that out, and the issue was still there. I've tried re-ordering the fans on the RGB hub as well but no luck there. I've also tried just about every combo of firmware and software that supports the new LL fans, but I just can't seem to figure out what's going on here. I'm starting to think it's one of the fans that has a short in it or something, at least on the LED side of things, since there's absolutely zero issue controlling the actual fan itself on any speed inside link. I've included a short GIF of the issue in action... but beware, it's a bit seizure inducing.

LL 120 Fans Flickering

If anyone has any clue as to what is causing this, or has seen this happen in the past please let me know.

Thanks!

Could you post a screenshot of your CL4 config including both "Home" and the "Configure" menu for the LNP? Just want to make sure everything looks okay on that side.

Could you post a screenshot of your CL4 config including both "Home" and the "Configure" menu for the LNP? Just want to make sure everything looks okay on that side.

Sure thing! Here's the Commander's Config screen and the Home screen. Please let me know if you need any other information.

0hhrQY9.jpg

Zy4Ipvu.jpg

• Corsair Employee

So one of your fans isn't flickering but the rest are. That suggests to me that there may be a short or something in the chain. These things are like Christmas lights; if there's one bad LED in the chain, it can mess up everything else.

The best way to diagnose where the problem lies is to remove fans one by one from the chain (make sure they're connected to the hub 1-2-3-4-5-6, though) and see if things work fine once one of the fans is removed.

I have 4 fans and 4 blink, I think I have tried all the possible solutions of both software and hardware and nothing has worked, the strange thing about all this is that other users are experiencing exactly the same

It's very sad to have spent so much money on some components like these and that are giving problems, I love these fans and I do not want to get away from them, that's why I'm trying to do everything possible to fix the mistakes, 5 days ago I'm trying to fix this, and every time I feel sadder

So one of your fans isn't flickering but the rest are. That suggests to me that there may be a short or something in the chain. These things are like Christmas lights; if there's one bad LED in the chain, it can mess up everything else.

The best way to diagnose where the problem lies is to remove fans one by one from the chain (make sure they're connected to the hub 1-2-3-4-5-6, though) and see if things work fine once one of the fans is removed.

Alright so I just tried this again and I have an update. If I swap the position of Fan #1 (not blinking in the original video) with Fan #2, all fans including Fan #1 blink. However if I leave fan #1 in it's #1 slot on the RGB hub, all fans exluding fan #1 will blink.

I honestly have no clue what that could mean. Maybe it's the second fan in the middle of the rad that's having the problem?

Do you have any ideas on testing that fan by itself to see if maybe it's causing the issue?

Edit: Okay so I took fan #2 completely out of the rotation and moved all the fans up one notch on the RGB hub. So it's 5 fans hooked up now, while skipping over fan #2 and the blinking has completely stopped for over 10 minutes now. It looks like fan #2 may have a short in it. Is this something that has been reported before with these fans or is this fairly uncommon?

i have the same problem. It seems that when the fans only connected to the FAN Hub everything works fine. But when connect the HUB to the Lighting Node and to USB Header than the flickering starts. I also have one fan where only 2/3 are colored and 1/3 is not working.

When connecting the Fan with only 2/3 working on FAN1 then the other FANs not working. Looks like i have two different problems. A defect FAN and the flickering when connected to the Mainboard

i have the same problem. It seems that when the fans only connected to the FAN Hub everything works fine. But when connect the HUB to the Lighting Node andd to USB Header than the flickering starts. I also habe one fan where only 2/3 are colored and 1/3 is not working.

Hi eagle*23* ... can you, perhaps, start another thread where we can discuss your issue, rather than mixing things up here?

Not trying to be snitty; it just gets confusing for everyone.

And ... please specify what kind of fans you are using and, if possible, post a shot of your Link config. And fill out your system details. Thanks!

oh ok but its the same problem as Regat has. FANS are flickering like in his Video. He should try to disconnect them from the Node and then check if flickering apears

That does not rule out a bad fan nor does it mean that it's the LNP. There's a data in and a data out line on those fans ... they are, as Corsair Dustin said, like Christmas lights. The data goes into Fan 1, then out Fan 1 and into Fan 2 ... and so on.

Without the LNP, they are in demo mode. So no data.

The strange thing about all this is the number of users that are having exactly the same problem, and given that it is a hardware problem, I do not think it will be solved with the guarantee since they will still be defective.

Every day I read this forum with the hope that someone will reveal the cure to this disease.

I am willing to offer the maximum information necessary in my case, if more videos of the problem are needed.

The strange thing about all this is the number of users that are having exactly the same problem, and given that it is a hardware problem, I do not think it will be solved with the guarantee since they will still be defective.

Every day I read this forum with the hope that someone will reveal the cure to this disease.

I am willing to offer the maximum information necessary in my case, if more videos of the problem are needed.

Just some food for thought ... folks that are happy with the fans and don't have issues rarely even seek out the forum, much less post here. So judging the reliability of the fans - or of any Corsair products - by the posts on the forum isn't really a good indicator.

ou do not misunderstand my words, I do not want to speak badly about corsair, I just talk about this particular case, high-end fans that cost a lot of money and are giving a particular type of problem, I do not want to get rid of these components and buy those of another brand, I want to fix the problems and enjoy these nice fans

Hello! I come with news about the problem. Checking each fan one by one I discovered the "supposed" cause of the problem.

A fan placed in 1st position was causing the rest to fail like a chain, now I have put it in last position and everything has stopped, although the wrong fan only works at 50% RGB.

I am already starting to process the guarantee

http://i64.tinypic.com/33dv4e9.jpg

hi I'm new in here. my LL fans do the same as Revat`s fans. using the Lightning node Pro with 4*120mm and one 140mm latest firmware. sometimes there is only light in one off the fan.

Try rearranging the fans on the RGB Fan Controller. As wikiblu's solution hints at, these lights are like Christmas lights ... one bad fan can take out everything behind it.

The other thing to consider is your power source ... you should have both the Lighting Node Pro and the Fan hub connect to SATA straight to the power source, not using a Molex-To-SATA adapter.

well my connection is SATA to SATA directly from the psu. but i just did what wikiblu and have found that one of my fans will not light up as it should be. run only with 4 fans and seems to work now. so i guess i have one bad RGB fan. have just bought them 1 week ago :( dammit im gonna buy a new one. :)

well my connection is SATA to SATA directly from the psu. but i just did what wikiblu and have found that one of my fans will not light up as it should be. run only with 4 fans and seems to work now. so i guess i have one bad RGB fan. have just bought them 1 week ago :( dammit im gonna buy a new one. :)

You should be able to RMA it through Corsair. No reason to buy a new one. Just make sure that you have your receipt.

Hello,

i have the same problem.

If 4 Fans are connected everything is fine.

If i connect a 5th fan it starts flickering.

CL is configured correctly and the fans are plugged in correctly.

Is this a software or hardware problem?

Usually this seems to be a hardware problem.

The fifth fan that you connect ... is this always the same fan or have you rearranged them?

I rearranged them.

If it´s the 5th only this one is flickering.

If i put this fan on the 1st slot. all fans are flickering.

Archived