Corsair Community

A Windows 10 Build

D2Beetle

I want to build a Win10 box, and I am not looking to overclock or push performance limits; just to need upgrade an old WinXP box to something current; however I would like to reuse the Corsair Ram CMP8GX3M4A1600C8 (ver 7.1) that is from a previous upgrade.

What AMD motherboards would you recommend?

I would do am APU build if you want a great overall price and nothing hardcore. What all are you wanting to replace? All but the Ram?

APU build would be OK; always wanted to build one. This would be a "new" build from scratch, and if I can reuse the memory, then there is more money to spend elsewhere.

Here are the preliminary specifications ...

AMD Platform

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit System Build OEM

Corsair Vengeance C70 Case

Corsair 8GB RAM (CMP8GX3M4A1600C8) [motherboard dependent]

Corsair PSU 850 or higher

WD Blue 1 TB HD 7200 RPM

Internal DVD/CD/CD-RW Drive

... still considering SLI vs Crossfire, but if I go APU, then it's Radeon.

If you go FM2+ then a single graphics card is more then enough to max out the processor and that makes a 850W psu seriously overpowered. -imo- APU builds shine when it comes to small form factors and performance/price for casual gaming.

If your CMP8GX3M4A1600C8 are Ver2.1x or Ver7.1x they should run well on most FM2+ mainboards.

If you go FM2+ then a single graphics card is more then enough to max out the processor and that makes a 850W psu seriously overpowered. -imo- APU builds shine when it comes to small form factors and performance/price for casual gaming.

If your CMP8GX3M4A1600C8 are Ver2.1x or Ver7.1x they should run well on most FM2+ mainboards.

Actually, I am uncertain of their revision level and the only gaming that I would do on this build, would be PoE and D3. Its primary purpose is BOINC. If I can reuse the memory, then the money saved could be applied to a larger PSU.

You really don't need a power supply that big. I would take that money and apply it to an SSD. I recently did a build for my brother with an 7870k and honestly, it showed me that we are in a time when nearly any cpu that is quadcore and over 3ghz is a enough for any gaming. After that it is all about the GPU.

The built in GPU will be fine for those 2 games as I have tried both on it. I went as far as putting my 290x in and comparing to the performance of an i7 4790k. When gaming or doing anything that isn't a synthetic benchmark I couldn't see more than a 4 or 5 fps difference. Media editing and such was better on the i7 but for over twice the price I would hope so.

End of the day, an APU setup is more than enough for most people. If you do more hard core demanding games, add your fav gpu of choice.

OK, the revision number on the memory says 7.1.

For this build, an SSD would be nice, I just would not need it. I have not had any performance issues with the hard drive; my computers stay on all them time, so I do not experience boot lag.

OK, the revision number on the memory says 7.1.

For this build, an SSD would be nice, I just would not need it. I have not had any performance issues with the hard drive; my computers stay on all them time, so I do not experience boot lag.

An SSD offers much more than boot speed, install speed, file transfer speed, and load times are also affected.

An SSD offers much more than boot speed, install speed, file transfer speed, and load times are also affected.

I know, but this computer is my tertiary backup, so I really do not need an SSD drive for it. I have started the Plan B research; i.e. upgrade the hardware in the existing one and compare that to the "New" one.

Archived