Corsair Community

Fan Port on Commander Pro stopped working

ISandManI

I have bought last month a Corsair Obsidian 900D case and a Corsair Commander Pro with it. I have plugged the 3 front fans of the case(3pin) into a normal Y-splitter (the one without power taken from the PSU) and plugged it into my fan port#2 of the Commander Pro.

Since today I have noticed the fans have stopped working and when I switched them to another port they work again.

I also have one top case fan on port#1 and back case fan on port#3, they all are 3-pin fans.I tried plugging the other fans in port#2 and they won't start.

All the fans are Corsair and the Commander Pro is connected to the PSU directly using SATA interface.

Another weird behavior was that on my LINK the fan group from fan port#2 stopped showing, but when I switched it from Auto-detect to 3 pin, it started showing the fan group again but with 0 rpm.

I am currently running the 3 fan group on fan slot#4 and even though I set the profile to "quiet" and linked it with TempSensor with the curvature 29C:750 RPM, still at 27.6C it shows 1110 RPMs. Why could this be happening?

And my second question. Could 3 fans (3pin) be too much for one fan slot of the Commander Pro and it damaged it? Should I send it back in Warranty and get a new one or am I missing something?

What type of fans are the 3 front fans? What is their current rating (this should be on a grey sticker on the fan).

The Commander Pro's fan headers, like most fan headers, are limited to 1.0A. If you go over that ...

Also, the CoPro is limited to 4.5A overall. So you need to be aware of the current load for ALL of the fans that you have connected to the CoPro.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a simmilar Problem, 2 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM Fans with a y-splitter already killed 3 of my Fan headers. I thought the first one was just a bad one, the second one died shortly after that and the third died within a day, the fans are rated at 0.3A, so it shouldn't be a Problem, my other Fans on it are 3 NF-A14 PWMs, which are rated at 0.14, so no problem there. I really like the commander pro, and my mobo doesn't support Speedfan.

• 5 months later...
Both. I have 3 fans connected to one header with with a total current if 0.9A. That should not matter, I can do the same off a MB header no problems.

Officially, Corsiar doesn't support splitters at all on the Commander Pro (CoPro).

Regardless of the official specs, we've seen many users with issues when having 3-way splitters on the CoPro. I'm not sure if it's because the 1.0A specified limit isn't accurate or something else ... but it's been pretty consistent that 2-way splitters seem to be OK and 3-way splitters are right out.

I can also Confirm,, seen many people have issues when using 3 way splitters on the CoPro... have used 2 way splitters my self with no issues at all.. but as stated, Corsair doesn't recommend using splitters at all... Edited by Zotty

Thanks. I appropriate you bringing this information to me.

Though....

"Not Officially supported"

Is not the same as, "Do not recommend".

If this is an ongoing issue, they need to fix it or specifically state this in the instruction manual. It would have saved me a lot of time.....

If this is an ongoing issue,

There is no issue... it's a 6 port Fan hub and works as it should.. as designed. 6 fans... any thing more than that is out of manufacturers specs....

from the Manual

The CORSAIR Commander PRO grants superior and

accurate hardware control with a compact,

all-in-one device. It is fully compatible with CORSAIR

LINK devices through two internal USB 2.0 headers,

monitors four temperature inputs, and controls up to six

fan connectors and two RGB LED channels. Accurately

monitor how your system reacts when you push it to

the limits. Manage your fans without pressing knobs or

switches through the intuitive CORSAIR LINK software.

Synchronize your RGB lighting effects with the optional

HD RGB fans, SP RGB fans, and individually addressable

RGB LED strips to light up your build.

Edited by Zotty

• 3 weeks later...
Yes. “Six fan CONNECTORS”. Not, six fans.

i actually stated

and controls up to six fan CONNECTORS

some would say the 'CONNECTORS' are on the fans...... the sockets/ports they plug into are on the commander pro

It's been said before.. i will say it again lol.. Corsair do not support Fan Splitter cables with the commander pro.. now i have and do use them my self.. but the fact remains... it has 6 fans ports... for 6 fans.... in its software it shows 6 fans... you can not control any more than 6 individually... word play will not change that dude.. there are people out there with damaged Commander Pros because of overload... your call

should also be noted that part of it's eco system is the RGB Fan LED Hub.. this plugs into one of the Commander Pro's LED channels.. this unit also has 6 ports... for 6 fans. and only 6 can be controlled per hub in iCue.. you can also daisy chain upto 6 Corsair LED strips and have control of all 6 (and no more) strips in iCue per LED channel on both the Commander Pro and Lighting Node Pro

that's a lot of 6's lol

Edited by Zotty

Word play? Dude? Yes. Correct. Again..... number of connectors.... Not fans. The manual does not advises against nor does it state anything about the use of a splitter. Sorry “dude” I’m only stating facts. 11.4V to 12.6V at 1A per port(4.5A combined), those are the “manufactures specs”. Don’t know why this turning into a debate. It’s in plain black and white. The product failed under normal use, well below those ratings. This is why my warranty is being honored and replacements sent. One more failure and I’ll request a refund.

Dude?

Yeah.. Dude lol.. Dudette? Buddy? Budette? mate? etc ...any of those trying to be friendly words apply ;)

It's in no way my intention to insult you... only trying to help you.. maybe my old age is showing lol

I’m only stating facts. 11.4V to 12.6V at 1A per port(4.5A combined)

4.5a is for the entire unit... this includes its MCU amongst other bits of electrickery and wizardry doing their own little thing

as for the splitters..

Ultimately I asked questions prior to plugging anything in as I understood there may be limitations in how I wanted to bend the rules and did not want to risk any damage.. so.. I asked.. got the info.. did the math.. used the splitters where needed,, 4 Commander Pro's in my house and all work fine

feel free to message Corsair.. see if you get the same direct advice I requested and indeed used in my Faq thread

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

in The Commander Pro Specs

Number 1, Sata Powered with 4.5a Limit for the entire unit... this includes its MCU as well as a 1a limit per fan header. (note. Not Officially supported but there is no reason why you can not use Fan header Splitter cables but its been noted triple fan splitters cause issues)

and in the 'Some Basic Questions Answered.' section

Number 18 Not Officially supported but there is no reason why You can not use Fan header Splitter cables on the Commander Pro (note there is a 1A limitation per fan header and a 4.5A limitation for the entire unit (including it's MCU). so do your Math! Also see Below Fan Specifications for power Draw etc).

The thread has been Stickied by Corsair and supported by Corsair.

Don’t know why this turning into a debate.

Was never a debate Mate (hey! that rhymes lol) ,, was just one member in his own time trying to help another see it from another angle and indeed get the best from his/her hard earned money

One more failure and I’ll request a refund.

You gotta do what ya gotta do.. if something isn't doing the job You expect it to do.. You have that option.

Good Luck on your quest

Edited by Zotty

• 3 weeks later...

Welp..

I was not expecting to see so many people experiencing this issue with the Commander Pro.

My first Commander died recently (full shutdown, toasted circuit smell...) and not even 24h after receiving the new one I've already a fan port dead.. (it took more than 1 month to lose my first fan port on the old one)

Apparently the Commander Pro does not like the Noctua NF-F14 (or F12) at all, since it's always a port with this fan that die first, and now same story on my second Commander...

For information I've never used a Splitter.

On my first Commander Pro I was using 4 probes, 2 RGB (4led strip + 2 fans), 5 Fans (3 NF-14 and 2 Corsair HD140)

On my second Commander Pro I have the same settings, except I've just added a small 3-pin fan (0.18A) used to cool the VRM of my watercooled GPU.

I guess the sixth fan was too much.

My computer was not even in load when it died.

So I guess I'll have to open a new ticket and will not connect more than 3 fans on the new one I suppose...

With such failure rate, the only solution seems to be a Commander Pro 2 with a better circuit board.

NF-A14 Industrial 3000 PWM to be exact.

I'm not letting the fans spinning at more than 2400 rpm (mainly to avoid too much noise and the cooling is less impacted) and all my fans are using a custom curve.

Also I've tried to setup the correct fan type (4pin or 3pin) in the Commander Pro settings (I was using Auto on the old one) to see if it makes any difference, but nop.

Every time I've lost a port my PC was idle (so no huge power draw), It's hard to tell what is causing the issue.

Note : It happened after the update of the firmware (to the version 0.8.210) but I don't think it's related.

Edited by Hzn

Any electric motor has a much higher starting draw than at constant speed. A single .3 amp fan might draw .5 amp for a half a second on start. A .9 amp fan might draw 1.2 amps on start. Three .3 amp fans together might draw 1.5 amps and that may be past the tipping point. Also, amperage is dependent on wire size. If the wire is small and the draw high, it can cause voltage drop, also a potential problem.

Lower RPM is also a high draw situation.

Avoid splitters unless the splitter has its' own connection to the PSU and you are using the header to simply monitor speed.

If you must connect a lot of fans, use a single port for each fan and daisy chain Commander pros (assuming you want individual control of each fan).

NF-A14 Industrial 3000 PWM to be exact.

I'm not letting the fans spinning at more than 2400 rpm (mainly to avoid too much noise and the cooling is less impacted) and all my fans are using a custom curve.

Also I've tried to setup the correct fan type (4pin or 3pin) in the Commander Pro settings (I was using Auto on the old one) to see if it makes any difference, but nop.

Every time I've lost a port my PC was idle (so no huge power draw), It's hard to tell what is causing the issue.

Note : It happened after the update of the firmware (to the version 0.8.210) but I don't think it's related.

OK, I am tracking for my own purposes. At 0.55A the 3000 rpm variation should not exceed the single port limit (1.0A) and the gross total 3(0.55) + 2 (0.30A) + whatever the little VRM fan is not over the unit total either. However, the above regarding real current load is true and maximum currents are really "average maximum currents". There is no constant. Still, you seem to be significantly below the threshold. That leaves what I generally tell people about the Noctua industrial line and the 3000 rpm model in particular --- be careful. It is meant to be an industrial fan and you do see some odd behavior on standard controllers. The 3000 rpm version is one of the few fans I sold on almost instantly. It has a huge uptick in current draw compared to the 2000 PWM variation and you shouldn't put it on a splitter. I am afraid these quirky situations seem to pop up all over. If you are that in love with the fan, perhaps its time to consider a different control option or take the simpler approach and change the fan. Do you really use it at 2400 rpm? That is pretty loud and very few hardware scenarios or radiators are going to benefit from the extra speed.