Corsair Community

Received my K95 Platinum yesterday, really liking it so far.

One thing I noticed was occasionally when turning the volume wheel downwards to lower the volume, the volume will continue to lower on its own, all the way down to zero. When this happens, the RGB pattern stays still, and is still illuminated, and the entire keyboard stops working (can't type anything). I have unplugged the USB a few times, after plugging back in it starts working.

It is extremely hard to replicate, I tried to keep scrolling the wheel down, sometimes I got it to freeze.

The wheel itself seems normal, not catching on anything, the scroll is smooth. I tried to spin the wheel lots when CUE was not open, it has not frozen yet.

Has anyone heard of something like this? Does this sound like a defective keyboard? Or bad software? Thanks in advance

• 9 months later...

Hey there, I am new to this fourm and I just registered in it to reply this message.

I know it's an old topic but this kind of freezing started to happend to my K95 RGB Platinum few weeks ago.

As you stated it is hard to replicate and it happens to my keyboard all of a sudden: sometimes I'm just browsing the web, sometimes I'm running a game (where it kind of gets the most frustrating). It just suddenly freezes, the lights keep on and I cannot type anything. Un-plug and re-plug worked, but there was a time when even replugging the keyboard in the same USB port (3.0 or 2.0 no matter which I choose) didn't work until I managed to reset to factory settings.

I've tried so far reseting to the factory sttings by holding the ESC key when I re-plug the keyboard. But so far I've done that about a dozen of times without succesfully fix it.

I tried the force firmware upgrade thing too but nothing either.

I bought the Keyboard since November 2017. I've got it for almost four months now.

I was on the latest CUE 2.23.40 version when the issue started. I now reverted back to version 2.16.87. But hey! the freezing thing even happened to the keyboard when I just had uninstalled the newest version and was about to install the previous one, I mean nothing, no CUE was installed when it froze TWICE in a row.

I was using the CUE on advance mode. Now I'm on the default one.

I'm starting to think it's a defective keyboard. So disapointing for a product which claims to be the top of the line.

You know what I just realised?

After a time passed since I reinstalled the older CUE Version and all seemed to be fine with my Keyboard, and I forgot connect my ST100 Stand back. After I did, I noticed in the CUE the ST100 it's not being detected even when the lights are by default in rainbow mode and I can connect succesfuly my Void Wireless Headset on it.

I did with CUE version 2.16.87 and nothing happened. However I made it worked back when I upgraded again to latest version 2.23.40. I now can visualize the ST100 in the CUE and custom its lights as usual.

I Returned to the newest CUE version since the freezing happened to my keyboard again in the previous one. It didn't seem to matter if the K95 was connected in a 3.0 or 2.0 port directly to the MOBO's ports.

I'm trying now connecting it into a PCI-E powered USP 3.0 HUB according to this post: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=138820

I wonder how long it'll last until K95 freezes again. Seriously, I would like to know if this problem has been adressed as that post is from 2015. Otherwise I would just like to know why so many users are experiencing this problem.

We discussed the same issue on this thread recently:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=175837

As far as we're concerned, this seems as a CUE related issue - as killing the process and restarting it restores normal and expected behaviour (and of course using the volume slider instantly locks those keys out of use).

As I am doing so now, I strongly encourage anyone facing this exact same issue to let Corsair know of this by submitting a ticket on support.corsair.com (or using the support ticket system at the top of this page).

• 1 year later...
I know this is an old thread, but is the only one talking about my issue i could find...i bought a month ago a K95 RGB platinum from amazon, and despite the fact that it came with a slightly lifted backplate that i fixed was fine, but when i got used to it and had the chance to scroll the volume wheen for maybe more than a 360, it became stuck and kept raising the volume. I had to unplug the keyboard and plug it back, but whenever the wheel is scrolled too far it still happens...i'm on the firmware 3.21.7168, i just made the update but the problem persists:(:! HELP!

• 5 weeks later...

I have a similar issue than described below. If I use the scroll volume the system may start to push up or down the volume indefinitely and the rest of the keyboard is not responding. Only workaround found is to disconnect the keyboard and reconnect.

Corsair support asked me to install a new firmwave via a drive that shows up when connecting the keyboard with a pin in the back keyboard pressed but that didn't resolve the issue.

I know this is an old thread, but is the only one talking about my issue i could find...i bought a month ago a K95 RGB platinum from amazon, and despite the fact that it came with a slightly lifted backplate that i fixed was fine, but when i got used to it and had the chance to scroll the volume wheen for maybe more than a 360, it became stuck and kept raising the volume. I had to unplug the keyboard and plug it back, but whenever the wheel is scrolled too far it still happens...i'm on the firmware 3.21.7168, i just made the update but the problem persists:(:! HELP!

• 1 month later...

edit 2: yea sorry, this problem recurred after almost 3 full months of me 'fixing' it. So, I've tested another 'fix' instead. Now, I seem to have great results with setting my polling rate to anything below the maximum (1000hz/1msec) rate. Ive tested the 500hz/2msec polling rate reaaaaaaaally extensively (like 15 minutes of just scrolling the volume wheel up and down). So far 0 freezes. The moment I switch to the max 1000hz/1msec and spam scroll the volume wheel, freeze problem usually recurs within like 30 seconds or less. So, it does seem like polling rate's the issue here. Lets hope it stays that way. Will update all posts if problem recurs.

edit: ok I think this fix works, courtesy of Corsair email support, cant believe nobody has reported on this fix considering how long this problem has been around for:

"Google Chrome has a driver that takes control of our media keys, preventing them from being used with Desktop apps while Chrome is open. To fix this issue:

- Head to ‘Chrome://Flags

- Locate Hardware ‘Media Key Handling’

-From the drop down set to ‘Disable’

If this didn't help please do let us know."

Now, Im spamming the volume wheel up and down like a madman for a couple minutes and so far 0 keyboard freezes. Im gonna try it over a couple weeks to be 100% certain. WIll update if this problem recurs!

Edited by gboy

• 4 weeks later...
gboy, thanks for this. I've been running into this issue on my Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Low Profile ever since I started to use the volume wheel. The problem has been very intermittent. I've applied this fix you shared. Crossing fingers it resolves the issue.

• 1 month later...
edit: ok I think this fix works, courtesy of Corsair email support, cant believe nobody has reported on this fix considering how long this problem has been around for:

"Google Chrome has a driver that takes control of our media keys, preventing them from being used with Desktop apps while Chrome is open. To fix this issue:

- Head to ‘Chrome://Flags

- Locate Hardware ‘Media Key Handling’

-From the drop down set to ‘Disable’

If this didn't help please do let us know."

Now, Im spamming the volume wheel up and down like a madman for a couple minutes and so far 0 keyboard freezes. Im gonna try it over a couple weeks to be 100% certain. WIll update if this problem recurs!

I tried that but it doesn't solve it for me. Scrolling volume up or down quickly to max or min almost always locks it up still.

I still have this problem in 2020; it doesn't happen when the polling rate is set to 125 hertz but it occurs at higher polling rates. The past updates to iCUE did not help and neither did reverting to old firmware then updating to the newest firmware update. I also tried reinstalling iCUE and Media Key Handling is disabled on Chrome. Not sure what the problem is at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
sorry about this, the problem did recur again after like 3 months. I've updated my previous 'fix' post to reflect this issue, but I've also seemed to have great results with setting my polling rate to anything below the maximum (1000hz/1msec) rate. Ive tested the 500hz/2msec polling rate reaaaaaaaally extensively (like 15 minutes of just scrolling the volume wheel up and down). So far 0 freezes. The moment I switch to the max 1000hz/1msec and spam scroll the volume wheel, problem usually recurs within like 30 seconds or less. So, it does seem like polling rate's the issue here. Lets hope it stays that way. Will update all posts if problem recurs. Edited by gboy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I experience same issue it's really very annoying. I can't believe that till now corsair didn't release a fix for this problem, hope this to be happen soon. Keyboard is very nice and comfortable that why i don't want to replace it with another one. Till now for myself i didn't found a fix or workaround. By the way my keyboard is not a k95, it is k70 mk2, but i think technologies are the same on both keyboards. Edited by diezz

Ok i think that i got a solution. Seems this keyboard is not compatible with last version on iCue. I just close the iCue and disable it from auto start and keyboard's issue with volume control just gone, till now no issues!

• 1 month later...
I confirm the problem on my k70 rgb mk.2. Corsair are you thinking of doing anything? 3 years have passed and users are still faced with this problem. Such problems make your brand no better than Chinese keyboards, which are 5 times cheaper. Edited by vinsdoe
mistake