Corsair Community

USB Disconnect/Connect Sounds with RGB Issues

scapiander

Adding my experience here too. I'm shocked that this thread has existed for around a year without any sign of a solution.

Specs:

ASUS Crosshair VIII Formula

Ryzen 9 3900x

EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 (waiting for 3080 lol)

Corsair RM850x

G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32GB, 3600MHz

10x Corsair QL120

Commander PRO

I opened the PC back up and double-checked all the wiring for the fans. I have 2 of the 6-port RGB hubs connected to the 2 USB inputs of the Commander PRO. In each RGB hub there are 5 fans connected, and they are all powered properly through PWM. I made sure that both RGB hubs and my Commander PRO were connected properly through SATA. On first bootup, everything worked EXCEPT for two fans. One fan will not light up at all and the other only has the inner ring working, and they are fans #4 and #5 on the second RGB hub. That's my first issue.

Now on booting up, the day after the build was complete, I'm getting the USB disconnect noise. It's actually been slightly different from the descriptions I've read on here but it's more or less the same problem.

In my USB devices and in iCUE, the Commander Pro is actually detected properly. It shows up and is displayed correctly, and never disappears when the sound plays. If I watch closely in iCUE, the two Lighting Node COREs are not showing up properly.

For me, the sound happens consistently every 4 seconds, and on the 4th-7th disconnect sound, there is a connection sound, and for a split second both of the Lighting Node COREs appear and then disappear again. Okay, literally as I was writing that last sentence, something changed. A Windows pop-up notification appeared and said "The USB device connected is not recognized," one final disconnect sound played, and the noise has stopped. I opened iCUE and the Commander PRO is still there, but still no LNC's. I'm thankful that I'm not isolated in my problems, but I don't know how to deal with or fix this and I think I'm just going to not even bother using my brand new system until I can figure out some kind of fix. Really frustrating and overall depressing, not even for any particular reason, but after waiting for literally years to make this build to happen, to have issues like this is very disheartening.

UPDATE: It's now the next day, and I decided to try switching USB 2.0 headers. I switched the Commander Pro's USB header to the other 2.0 header on the motherboard, and now there is no disconnecting and the Lighting Node Cores and the Commander Pro are all recognised correctly. The same two fans are still malfunctioning the same way I described and I'm going to see if I can get any help from the Corsair subreddit.

For anyone out there that's still reading (lmao), I also have an issue in my ASUS BIOS where I get MASSIVE 3-10 second freezes and stutters. I have no idea what the cause even might be. Thanks for any help.

Edited by Wormyyyxd
Update to situation

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trying to keep it short since this thread is way too long already. Was having same problems with the Asus Prime x-570 Pro board and a Ryzen 9 3900x. (New PC/ 1 Month old)

Problem:

Random Windows sounds (as if a usb stick was inserted and pulled out again), during that time (around 1-2 secs) I had no RGB on my 6 LL120s that are hocked up to a commander pro and a rgb hub (which is also connected to the cp).

Solution:

I read this thread, bought one of these nzxt usb 2.0 hubs, put it into my computer and it worked!

I know, spending another 20 bucks on this is annoying (especially since the fans are quite expensive already), but I think anyone will be better off buying one of those things than waiting for corsair to fix it.

In this post I also read that some x570 boards (including the asus prime) might have some weird usb 2.0 ports built into it causing this problem with the commander pro/RGB. The nzxt hub seems to eliminate that problem. (Don´t know for sure if this is the cause).

Anyways, just wanted to help and I hope this works for you as well. If it doesn´t, you can simply return the hub on amazon after.

Here´s a link:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/NZXT-Internal-USB-Hub-Multifunctional/dp/B01IFGFTJ2/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=nzxt+hub&qid=1602636659&sr=8-3

Saying goodbye to this sh**.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have this problem across 2 different pc's only using a K70 keyboard.

found the "fix"

the ICUE software has to be left on your desktop. as soon as its minimized to the system tray the problems start.

ICUE is garbage software

Ill be dumping it soon & never returning to corsair

be warned.. 'hardware lighting' still requires iCUE to be installed. Even if iCUE isn't opened or minimized to the system tray... it still has background services running to control 'Hardware lighting'

Completely not the point of hardware lighting. I don't want your garbage software eating up my system resources.

I have this problem across 2 different pc's only using a K70 keyboard.

found the "fix"

the ICUE software has to be left on your desktop. as soon as its minimized to the system tray the problems start.

ICUE is garbage software

Ill be dumping it soon & never returning to corsair

Didnt work.

I updated the chipset and bios following ASUS technical service response to my email, with no result at all. They are now requesting my motherboard for reparation, with shipping cost on me. Im not doing it.

Same issue as everyone else here. Based on all the feedback in this thread, it's clear that this issue has to do with the Commander Pro. This issue has been going on for so long. I guess I'll order the NZXT USB hub and see if that helps.

System Specs

Asus PRIME X570-PRO

AMD Rzyen 9 3900X

G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090

Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB x 2

WD Blue 2 TB SSD

NZXT H510

Corsair RMx 850 W 80+ Gold Certified

Same issue as everyone else here. Based on all the feedback in this thread, it's clear that this issue has to do with the Commander Pro. This issue has been going on for so long. I guess I'll order the NZXT USB hub and see if that helps.

System Specs

Asus PRIME X570-PRO

AMD Rzyen 9 3900X

G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090

Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB x 2

WD Blue 2 TB SSD

NZXT H510

Corsair RMx 850 W 80+ Gold Certified

It didnt help this guy so I would consider not doing it

Money isn't an issue, so if $20 might work, let's give it a shot.

I bought this one on Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QHQF92K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

• I have the motherboard USB header (#18 in the user manual here
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X570-PRO/E15659_PRIME_X570-PRO_UM_V2_WEB.pdf) plugged into the USB hub.

• The USB hub is getting power via SATA.

• The Commander Pro is plugged into a port on the USB hub.

• Fans are connected to the Commander Pro.

• The Lighting Node Pro is connected to the Commander PRO.

I literally just plugged it all in, so we shall see.

• 2 weeks later...
Money isn't an issue, so if $20 might work, let's give it a shot.

I bought this one on Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QHQF92K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

• I have the motherboard USB header (#18 in the user manual here
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X570-PRO/E15659_PRIME_X570-PRO_UM_V2_WEB.pdf) plugged into the USB hub.

• The USB hub is getting power via SATA.

• The Commander Pro is plugged into a port on the USB hub.

• Fans are connected to the Commander Pro.

• The Lighting Node Pro is connected to the Commander PRO.

I literally just plugged it all in, so we shall see.

Yeah this "worked" for me eventually. I still get disconnect sound on boot up, but dont know why. My H100i no longer locks up. Everything seems fine. I did have to uninstall ICue and reinstall before lock ups stopped though.

I dont have a commander PRO like others.

EDIT: The NZXT hub i used.

• 2 weeks later...
So I will share my experience as well. I have been having this problem for a long time too. Started out as not enough USB resources even though newer AMD systems have no problems with USB endpoints. Slowly got worse and worse and evolved into random crashes of everything corsair. Keyboard and mouse would stop working in game. Also had issues with the St100 firmware update not sticking though that could be a separate issue. Anyways, I read through this entire thread, had already tried the Commander Pro going through the NZXT hub as I had one already. Didn't fix it. I started reading someone's post about the power draw of the stock fans on the h100 series coolers and it got me thinking as I have the same fans plugged into my commander pro, only 4 of them there. I ended up rerouting all of my sata power, h150i on its own power cable, commander pro on a different one, and all my rgb and hard drives on 2 other cables (I used a molex to sata adapter to get 4 sata cables basically as the only molex I had was thw NZXT hub.) After doing this so far its only been 2 days but no crashes yet. I would previously have them both in game and even just randomly in windows. I will keep an eye on it as time goes by, but so far from what I and others have researched it seems to be a power draw issue with both the commander pro and the h100 coolers all being on the same or too much on one sata cable. Why is beyond my comprehension, but I would recommend trying to split up your sata power as much as possible with the commander and the cooler on separate cables if possible.

So I will share my experience as well. I have been having this problem for a long time too. Started out as not enough USB resources even though newer AMD systems have no problems with USB endpoints. Slowly got worse and worse and evolved into random crashes of everything corsair. Keyboard and mouse would stop working in game. Also had issues with the St100 firmware update not sticking though that could be a separate issue. Anyways, I read through this entire thread, had already tried the Commander Pro going through the NZXT hub as I had one already. Didn't fix it. I started reading someone's post about the power draw of the stock fans on the h100 series coolers and it got me thinking as I have the same fans plugged into my commander pro, only 4 of them there. I ended up rerouting all of my sata power, h150i on its own power cable, commander pro on a different one, and all my rgb and hard drives on 2 other cables (I used a molex to sata adapter to get 4 sata cables basically as the only molex I had was thw NZXT hub.) After doing this so far its only been 2 days but no crashes yet. I would previously have them both in game and even just randomly in windows. I will keep an eye on it as time goes by, but so far from what I and others have researched it seems to be a power draw issue with both the commander pro and the h100 coolers all being on the same or too much on one sata cable. Why is beyond my comprehension, but I would recommend trying to split up your sata power as much as possible with the commander and the cooler on separate cables if possible.

I tried various devices and the Commander Pro basically sucks up all the juice a sata line can provide, anything else on it will have weird behavior or simply won't power at all. They might be on the treshold of what a sata power cable can deliver

Huh, interesting about the idea of the SATA power. My USB ports on the Commander won't work at all. Tried hard reset, drivers, a USB hub, changing BIOS settings, and Power settings. I'll try running the Commander Pro on an isolated SATA power cable tomorrow and see if it helps anything.

What else do you have that uses SATA power?

- One Hard drive

- H115i Pro Cooler

- NZXT HUB

- Front panel USB-C

The Commander Pro has four Corsair LED strings connected to it, (Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO).

I now have that divided over 3 SATA power cables .... kind of nonsense.

- One Hard drive

- H115i Pro Cooler

- NZXT HUB

- Front panel USB-C

The Commander Pro has four Corsair LED strings connected to it, (Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO).

I now have that divided over 3 SATA power cables .... kind of nonsense.

Yeah. I'm not sure about yours. Unless its the h115i. I just tried to keep the commander pro and the h150i on cables with low power draw items.

Corsair really needs to figure this out and provide guidance on it.

Been quite some time since i posted on this forum - but I have also experienced this issue and its comforting to know there is a common denominator here.

Just finished a new build:

Asus x570 Crosshair Viii Hero Wife

5900x

Corsair 500D RGB SE w/ CoPro and 3x LL120's

H155i Plat RGB

Besides the case being an absolutely DOG to build in (cable management in the back is SO tight it and uses magnets so weak to latch its rediculous) i have been experiencing the dreaded USB disconnect/reconnect issues.

I have noticed it affects some of the USB ports differently - and I have changed around my USB devices to when a disconnect occures it doesnt kill power to my peripherals.

Sometimes I have been able to play games for hours with no disconnects and then randomly whilst idling at desktop it will throw the usb disconnect reconnect sound.

Anyway, I have ordered the NZXT Hub (luckily you can get them off the shelf here in NZ) and a sata to molex adapter. So hoping this will eliminate the issues moving forward. Obviously there is a power management issue with the CoPro, I would suggest Corsair improve their design by not relying on USB Mobo header power to run all the devices moving forward and giving it its own molex or sata port direct to the PSU in future.

Once i have the hub installed i'll report back but i assuming by the other accounts posted here, that it will solve the issue.