Corsair Community

3 broken keycaps, need solution

huntn4it

In around 3 months of use my L, E, and left CTRL keycaps have all broken. Customer support was kind enough to send me replacement L and CTRL keycaps, but the day I got them in the mail (yesterday) the E broke (see picture below).

I'm tired of watching this piece of hardware literally crumble beneath my fingers, and while it's great that customer service is willing to send replacements I'm looking for another solution. It's hard to enjoy any sort of competitive gaming when I've had keys break on me in the middle of matches multiple times (E, CTRL) and in the middle of simple typing (L). No confidence in my hardware!

Does anyone know of a higher quality set of keycaps that will fit this keyboard (K70 RGB LUX), which is otherwise very well built? I'd rather buy a higher quality set of caps than continue this perpetually revolving door of keycaps being mailed to me (which takes about 2 weeks by the way, so I get to enjoy having no keycap on my E until the replacement arrives).

Thanks for your help

http://i67.tinypic.com/8yz886.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same thing happening on mine with several keys, but they haven't broken yet just very badly cracked. I was directed to open a support ticket (I haven't yet about the issue), I guess that is the same advice I could give and you'll probably receive from others. Edited by Zatarot

You could go to their website (Corsair.com) go to products > parts & accessories > keyboard accessories then there will be 2 keycap sets one for the old font layout (The old K70) and one for the new on (The one the strafe has and later models) as you have the k70 LUX you can buy the new keycaps these will be an entirely new set of keycaps for the keyboard. Also, it is always good to have a spare set just in case one key brake, just like your situation. It is set to around 30 pounds

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/corsair-gaming-strafe-full-104-keys-set

Maybe you are just putting a lot of force on the keys try making the force less but more centered so you are not pushing the key to the side.

Respectfully, I have used keyboards for over 20 years and never broken a key before. This is not my fault.

Does anyone know of a higher quality set of keycaps that will fit this keyboard (K70 RGB LUX), which is otherwise very well built? I'd rather buy a higher quality set of caps than continue this perpetually revolving door of keycaps being mailed to me (which takes about 2 weeks by the way, so I get to enjoy having no keycap on my E until the replacement arrives).

Thanks for your help

http://i67.tinypic.com/8yz886.jpg

A web search shows that if you don't want to get your replacement keycaps from Corsair that there are other suppliers.

I may not say if they are of higher (or lower) quality, so you will need to judge this for yourself.

[url="http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77167"]Forum Rule[/url] #9
[b]NO DISCUSSION OF COMPETITORS.[/b]
[i]This forum is here for the express purpose of supporting current and future users of Corsair products. Please do not discuss competing products or their suppliers by name on this forum, either in a positive light or a negative one. Such posts or threads will be edited or deleted at our discretion. Please contact the makers of that product for help. As stated above, their names are filtered out from public view.[/i]

• 2 weeks later...

And another broken key. Tossing this hunk in the garbage and spewing terrible reviews all over the web if one...more...key breaks on me.

This keyboard is otherwise built like a friggin' indestructable tank, why they would skimp on crappy caps is beyond me. In all my years of gaming, programming, and recreational computing I've never had a keycap up and break on me. 4 in 4 months on a brand new device? Garbage.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm also facing the similar issue, reference this thread: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=165735

I got a K70 RGB LUX as a replacement for my original K70 RGB LED failing about dec 2016 last year and already having lots of keycaps having the hairline crack and only 1 keycap has completely failed.

i suppose the other keycaps are gonna fail sooner or later due to the cracks.

are these like a manufacturing defect or something? i'm pretty careful with my keyboard usage and don't hammer on the keys like a madman...

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Respectfully, I have used keyboards for over 20 years and never broken a key before. This is not my fault.

That's a hillarious answer. 20 years ago you couldn't take the caps on and off. And yes it's your fault. Take a minute and think about it. Maybe there are 2 or 3 others with the same problem, and you are telling us Corsair is to blame?

As one wrote. You are doing it WRONG! Admit you have used too much force and pushed the cap from side to side to get it off. Way too much force has been used.

I have a K70 Lux RGB and have taken ALL the caps off without breaking anything. Put them on again and nothing broken.

Conclusion: It's your fault

• 3 weeks later...
That's a hillarious answer. 20 years ago you couldn't take the caps on and off. And yes it's your fault. Take a minute and think about it. Maybe there are 2 or 3 others with the same problem, and you are telling us Corsair is to blame?

As one wrote. You are doing it WRONG! Admit you have used too much force and pushed the cap from side to side to get it off. Way too much force has been used.

I have a K70 Lux RGB and have taken ALL the caps off without breaking anything. Put them on again and nothing broken.

Conclusion: It's your fault

it might be a plastics problem in a certain batch it might be a location based problem caused by shipping....

some plastics don't travel well and if subjected to low or high temps or pressure changes (like say in an airplane) they will become brittle and prone to fracturing,

we don't know where the keys have been before the op got to use them, if for instance a courier chucked a pallet full of keyboards In the back of plane for a night flight it could induce such problems in the plastic of only those boxes on the outer edge of the pallet, this would give a high failure rate for a handful of keyboards but leave the rest with normal expected life, if a delivery company lobbed a pallet of pc parts into a freezer container to fill up space on a transit run it could induce problems in the parts... no fault of the manufacturer

if I was the op I would probably be talking to customer service to sort out getting the current keyboard replaced having that many keys fail isn't normal, having had my keyboard for almost a year and still not having any problems with the default keys it does seem odd that some folks with newer ones are having such problems

• 4 weeks later...
I too am currently suffering from the same thing with my K70 RGB Lux . There have been about 4-5 keys that have broken on me. I have not removed my keys once nor am I heavy handed with my keyboard as I type . I owned the K60 for years and still own it and not one key has broken. Looking at the back of the buttons that have broken and by the few spare keys that came with the keyboard its easy to see that the design of the + or cross pattern in which the key houses itself onto the keyboard is very thin and mine definitely feel like brittle plastic by comparison of the K60 and also just regular plastics if you are somewhat familiar. I could believe when I've seen others say it could be a bad batch/temperature during shipping or storage. I submitted a ticket and its too early yet to have a reply back but I'm waiting eagerly.

• 2 months later...
I have the exact same problem - keycaps of K, L and Del have broken (at the cross thing). Keep in mind I have with very moderate usage, I don't even play games, I use the keyboard for office work/programming & I've used it only for ~6 months. The quality of the plastic is awful, there is no other excuse for Corsair.

• 1 month later...
We have an easy solution for you. You'll just need to submit a ticket through our support portal, and one of our Technical Support agents can send out replacements to you.

http://support.corsair.com/

Hi, Nick.

That's what I did after seeing one of my K70 RGB keycaps falling to pieces on me.

But that was two months ago, and I haven't got any useful response or replacement keycap from Corsair to this day.

Even tried to post on support forum with no luck: three days have passed and my thread doesn't even show up in the forum.

Does support work for customers outside the US?

Hi, Nick.

That's what I did after seeing one of my K70 RGB keycaps falling to pieces on me.

But that was two months ago, and I haven't got any useful response or replacement keycap from Corsair to this day.

Even tried to post on support forum with no luck: three days have passed and my thread doesn't even show up in the forum.

Does support work for customers outside the US?

me too, don't have any response

I've had a ticket issued and put through for my D key cap breaking, they sent out 1 replacement D key (still waiting and have been told wait up to 3 weeks), then today my other keys started feeling loose and popping off. Keys 1-4, AS and D are all cracked in the same manner as shown above (just not all the way broken yet). Updated my ticket but I have not heard back yet. I will update.

Tempted to buy a set of the PBT however that is $49 USD + shipping to me in Canada is almost $80 CAD (+ customs duties).

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-gaming-pbt-double-shot-keycaps-black

I was honestly was a big fan of Corsair and have a ton of their products but this is seriously disappointing to see. I am starting to look at my options for alternative keyboards now.

Wow this is scary....I just made the jump to Corsair from a lifetime of Logitech's high end products. Bought a K95 Platinum and Glaive RGD. Now I am scared my K95 keys will break apart if it is a plastic supply issue.....

I wonder if Corsair will give a legitimate answer as to the cause? It's great that their support is sending replacements..but it would be nice to hear a real answer and that it was solved.

I've had a ticket issued and put through for my D key cap breaking, they sent out 1 replacement D key (still waiting and have been told wait up to 3 weeks), then today my other keys started feeling loose and popping off. Keys 1-4, AS and D are all cracked in the same manner as shown above (just not all the way broken yet). Updated my ticket but I have not heard back yet. I will update.

Tempted to buy a set of the PBT however that is $49 USD + shipping to me in Canada is almost $80 CAD (+ customs duties).

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-gaming-pbt-double-shot-keycaps-black

I was honestly was a big fan of Corsair and have a ton of their products but this is seriously disappointing to see. I am starting to look at my options for alternative keyboards now.

Okay, WAAIIT a minute! Why are we thinking about having to opt for the PBT Key Set for $49.99 after what clearly appears a manufacturing quality issue? For a board costing $159.99 US, these are the keys that should have come with the board in the first place! http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-gaming-pbt-double-shot-keycaps-black

I've NEVER broken a key on a board, but on this one, I've had to replace 8. I pulled the rest of them and 75% of them have hairline cracks. Really? I'm not a key masher or anything, very disappointed.

It'd be a gracious and smart move for Corsair to send the PBT key set for those that have put in previous tickets, and yet still having broken keys or have a majority with hairline cracks.

Pardon the rant friends, but I switched my 'buy cheap, expect cheap' mindset a long time ago.

Every key I have popped and inspected closely I now notice is cracked and splitting on at least 1 side of the + spot where the switch inserts to the cap.

I checked F1-F8, Arrow Keys, number keys 1-8, AWSD are the worst (due to high use I am guessing). Even the Pause Break key is cracked.

I have never moved my keyboard other than home from the store inside of its original packaging. I have never placed any heavy objects, put pressure or weight on it. Keys have always been removed using the appropriate tool, the keyboard has been regularly cleaned and cared for.

What is up with this?

Ever since following up to the original Ticket where I was told they were sending out a D key cap, they have not responded to my remarks regarding the rest of the keyboard.

I will update again once I do hear back from them. I will probably end up calling tomorrow.

**Correction - They did follow up since I mentioned the other broken keys. I was offered to have the other replacement keys sent to me, not an entire set. Did not see the ticket was updated.

Edited by mbpmbpmbpmbp
Correction

Update. I called in and spoke with someone regarding my issue on the phone. She was helpful and informed me that she would open a new ticket to have my entire K70 Lux replaced on RMA. Not just key caps but the entire unit.

New ticket is opened and the next day support requests me to re-submit all of my information for warranty (original invoice etc) along with photos of ALL cracked key caps that need replacing. I told them I would prefer to not have to pull 100+ keys from my keyboard, photograph, document each and submit but they said they need me to.

This is ridiculous. Between emailing back and forth, looking for information online, and calling and sitting on hold I've spent more than enough time that is worth it.

Fire sale time! Officially leaving Corsair products behind. K70 Lux, M65 Mouse, MM800 Mousepad, HD120 + HD140 Fans, Commander Pro, Node LED Lighting Strips, H110i GT AIO Cooler, 460X Case all going up for sale.

• Confused 1

Thank you Technobeard. Really appreciate it. Saved me a lot of trouble.

Got a call from Corsair Customer Support today. They're going to be sending a full new keyboard out to me once I ship mine in. Kinda a pain in the *** with a no-trust system and having to ship mine before they'll ship theirs. Better than the insanely long task of what the original request was.

Hopefully this doesn't happen with anyone else having this issue in the future!

ummm this is not OP's fault, in response to the annoying dude saying it is. I have had the exact same issue and I'm not even a big gamer tbh and I don't push hard on the keys. I had three keys break, got replacements sent, and now another one is broken again, a couple months later. It's getting so frustrating. I don't understand how these break so easily when I have never had this issue before :(. I don't know if I should contact support again or just get a different brand keyboard.