Corsair Community

SP120 Fan screw problems.

Pixelmancer

I've been trying for half an hour now and I can't get the screws into the fans. I've never had this problem with any other fans I've used and I've been building PCs for many years. I'm using the screws that came with the fans so they should be the right size. This is ridiculous. What were they thinking when they designed these?!

If these fans have the rubber corners in the fans ,the screws actually make threads when first inserted,,using a dab of soap or a lubricant will make the process much easier...

That's the most retarded thing ever. If I wanted to construct my own fans I wouldn't have paid Corsair. It took me 45 minutes or so to get the first screw to go all the way in. Now I have to do it 11 more times! Screw that. No pun intended. These are going in the trash. Those new Riing fans from Thermaltake are coming out at the end of February so any day now. They're basically SP120's with glowing rings and it won't take me 8 hours to install them. You should be ashamed Corsair. This is Zotac grade incompetence. You're supposed to be above that.

Actually its a much better design than most fans as the rubber corners are designed to act as a rubber isolator which stops fan rattle.

A little dab of soap is a better alternative than having a fan noise.

Rubber grommets cost pennies. 8 hours of my life doesn't. I tried soap. It did nothing.

I have close to 30 of these fans in my builds and never have had a hard time installing them.,,im sorry you do as they are great fans with good cfm.

Speaking of cfm,,choose good airflow over glittery fans.I went for looks initially and now have a box full of em just collecting dust...;):

I have close to 30 of these fans in my builds and never have had a hard time installing them.,,im sorry you do as they are great fans with good cfm.

Speaking of cfm,,choose good airflow over glittery fans.I went for looks initially and now have a box full of em just collecting dust...;):

SP120's have 37.85 CFM. Riing 12's have 40.6 CFM. SP120's static pressure is 1.29 mmH20. Riing 12's static pressure is 2.01 mmH20. They don't just look better. They work better. And I assume they actually thread them like literally every other fan brand on Earth except Corsair. B-Blasters blow them both out of the water, but they're ugly as sin and sound like a jet engine. I have a spare set I can use until the Riings start showing up in stores though.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/db/products/dcfan/Riing1214R/main.jpg

Tell me that isn't a SP120 with a glowing ring and better performance. I've never had a Corsair product I didn't like, but I guess there's a first time for everything. When it comes to fans they fail, hard.

Your referencing the quieter SP'S,their performance PWM deliver 62.74 CFM at 3.1 mmH20 but these do look like SP copycats;):

and having power will ultimately deliver noise,

I referenced the quiet fans because that's what I have and because the sound level is almost identical to the Thermaltake version. I'm not going to compare quiet fans to performance fans. And like I said if I just wanted performance and didn't care about looks or noise B-Blasters have 103.0 CFM and 3.0 mmH20 and cost less.

• Corsair Employee

The mounting for our non-LED fans is actually a point of some contention internally. Depending on the screws you use, and the screwdriver, they can wind up being extremely troublesome. I've used a boatload of these fans and while by and large they've been mostly problem free (do NOT over-torque them), I've also stripped a couple.

If you want Corsair AF/SP fan performance without these goofy mounts, I recommend sourcing either the fans we bundle with our coolers/cases (we sell spare parts, including fans) or using our LED fans.

If you want Corsair AF/SP fan performance without these goofy mounts, I recommend sourcing either the fans we bundle with our coolers/cases (we sell spare parts, including fans) or using our LED fans.

Do you think there is any chance we will see the AF and SP140L's on the spare parts page at any point?

• 2 weeks later...
The mounting for our non-LED fans is actually a point of some contention internally. Depending on the screws you use, and the screwdriver, they can wind up being extremely troublesome. I've used a boatload of these fans and while by and large they've been mostly problem free (do NOT over-torque them), I've also stripped a couple.

I'm using the screws that came with the fans, although if what screws I'm using is even an issue that's already proof the fans are crap and need redesigned. I'm using the same screwdriver I've been using for all case fans for the last decade and never had any trouble with.

Today I found a fan that got missed when I threw out the others and I decided to give them one last chance before I order my Riing fans at the beginning of April. I stripped 3 screws and got a big blister on my left index finger and I've still only managed to thread 2 holes. I've used both dish soap and canola oil as lubricants and neither helps. Please explain to me how I'm supposed to do this since you seem to be able to get them to work. I never thought I'd be asking for instructions for a fan, but it just goes to show how ridiculous this design is.

If I wanted ugly fans I'd go with Noctua.

Well it's now sunrise and I finally got one fan installed after several hours of injuries, back pain and cussing at the top of my lungs. Guess what finally did the trick? Screws from the stock fans of a Fractal Designs case. With the Fractal screws it actually only takes 20 minutes per screw instead of 20 hours and a dozen stripped screws. Congratulations Corsair, Fractal is actually better at your fans than you are. Now I just have to spend $600 ordering enough cases to supply me with screws. How is your fan department not fired yet? If I was this incompetent at my job I wouldn't last a day.

You could buy some of those rubber fan fixers that you pull through, they're pretty cheap but I thought Corsair fans shipped with them . Back 15 years or so ago I regularly bought extra screws as you had to cut your own thread.

Archived