Corsair Community

The Corsair new logo

alvinlok219

Based on this:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2015/june/introducing-the-new-sails-logo

It seems like they're unifying everything back under the sails logo they should have used in the first place. A decision they should have made back in September of last year instead of that absolutely ugly back-tattoo logo that still haunts my memory.

The actual use of a product is less important than a logo design?

When the logo is terrible, very obviously alienating, and is something that I would literally be embarassed to let people see in my house? You betcha. The "Corsair Gaming" logo was all those things. I would up reselling my K70 when I finally got it and picked up a competing product instead simply because it was embarrassing to have clients see something that belonged in front of a burned out teenager chugging mountain dew and yelling offensive nonsense over teamspeak. This one is a lot better. It manages to leave a sleeker impression than the old logo, without being as obviously stupid and narrow-minded as the "gaming" logo.

They finally made the right call. It took too long, and the way they treated the people who this shows were obviously right was enough to make me seriously question their business sense, and make me not trust their commitment to good business (and by extension good products), but my interest is piqued now, and I'll be watching closely to see if I feel it's worth getting back on board with the products that I used to trust.

• Corsair Employee
Based on this:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2015/june/introducing-the-new-sails-logo

It seems like they're unifying everything back under the sails logo they should have used in the first place. A decision they should have made back in September of last year instead of that absolutely ugly back-tattoo logo that still haunts my memory.

When the logo is terrible, very obviously alienating, and is something that I would literally be embarassed to let people see in my house? You betcha. The "Corsair Gaming" logo was all those things. I would up reselling my K70 when I finally got it and picked up a competing product instead simply because it was embarrassing to have clients see something that belonged in front of a burned out teenager chugging mountain dew and yelling offensive nonsense over teamspeak. This one is a lot better. It manages to leave a sleeker impression than the old logo, without being as obviously stupid and narrow-minded as the "gaming" logo.

They finally made the right call. It took too long, and the way they treated the people who this shows were obviously right was enough to make me seriously question their business sense, and make me not trust their commitment to good business (and by extension good products), but my interest is piqued now, and I'll be watching closely to see if I feel it's worth getting back on board with the products that I used to trust.

I think the real issue is your stereotyping of gamers or supporters of the logo as "burned out teenagers chugging mountain dew and yelling into teamspeak."

While I didn't mind the original Corsair Gaming logo, I know there was a strong reaction from the online community. However, given that the number of products that were rebranded with the logo had no drop off in sales, it was safe to say that a good product with a controversial logo is much more important than a controversial product with a good logo.

I also dislike mountain dew. ;):

However, given that the number of products that were rebranded with the logo had no drop off in sales, it was safe to say that a good product with a controversial logo is much more important than a controversial product with a good logo.

What about a controversial product with a controversial logo ?

That would be a bad combination. ;):

Hi James,

First off - great new sails logo. I'm a web dev and designer and have helped brand companies. You guys managed to streamline and refine the company image without destroying recognition, which is important. So I'd say the new sails logo hits the mark. My compliments to the designer.

It also looks like you're doing away with the tattoo-looking gaming log? In my view, that logo cheapened a brand which does not position itself in the market that way. It's like Porsche rolling out a cheap car to compete with Scion. It doesn't make any sense and it hurts a premium image. The gamer stereotype may not be accurate, but it exists, and I don't associate with it or buy products or build machines for our office with that aesthetic. We still need a professional image to our clients and it seems like our only choices are to buy bland machines, or to buy overly-flashy "gaming" machines with more lights than a rave. Corsair always managed to sit in between, so we could have machines with a bit of "wow" to them, which is good for a creative environment, while still looking professional. That's why I've always liked Corsair. But because of the gaming logo, we didn't purchase any of the new peripherals.

The reason I'm here is to ask if that's changed. Are you guys going to roll out any of your RGB keyboards with the new Corsair sails? If so, then I'd like to buy and like to know how. If not, we'll forgo it as we did before. It's not a big deal either way. But I wanted to check to see if things have changed. Thanks!

yea and this makes the keyboards with the original sails logo like mine more valuable corsair uk wont send me a replacement k70rgb with the gaming logo though will they?

im due a replacement this week

Id rather have a Porsche with ford emblem on it rather than a ford with a Porsche emblem on it,,, assuming of course if that were the only choices...

I also see users wanting the best of both worlds as I do also...

I think the real issue is your stereotyping of gamers or supporters of the logo as "burned out teenagers chugging mountain dew and yelling into teamspeak."

While I didn't mind the original Corsair Gaming logo, I know there was a strong reaction from the online community. However, given that the number of products that were rebranded with the logo had no drop off in sales, it was safe to say that a good product with a controversial logo is much more important than a controversial product with a good logo.

I also dislike mountain dew. ;):

I'm not actually stereotyping gamers as that. I'm stereotyping the people that logo was aimed at as that :greengrin I am a gamer, and I'm certainly not that. I just also have the awareness to know that the common perception of it is as such. Correct or incorrect, it's a perception I really don't want to be associated with and I think the original reaction made it clear I wasn't alone in that.

As for the drop in sales or lack thereof, I could go on and on about external factors, sample size, etc, but I'll just point out that you are changing it less than a year later, which clearly means you thought it wasn't working given how adamant you guys were that it wasn't going away when that backlash was happening.

The gaming logo was a mistake, but today it has been rectified, so all is good, or at least shall be soon enough.

Id rather have a Porsche with ford emblem on it rather than a ford with a Porsche emblem on it,,, assuming of course if that were the only choices...

I also see users wanting the best of both worlds as I do also...

Well the Porsche would probably burst into flames regardless of the logo on it anyway =P

But seriously, if Porsche, or BMW, or Audi say suddenly started marketing their cars with flame decals and labeling them as "street racer edition" or something like that, I'd genuinely question their judgment enough to shy away from the brand.

I dunno, every time I think about this whole circle of events it reminds me of New Coke (even more now that the circle is complete)

I second the replkacing logo stuff, I'm not overly bothered about being stuck with this odd crab/heart thing on the top of my kb but I had always been hoping to get the sails when I finally came to try Corsair, will replacement stickers be sent out on request and/if it is possible to remove the emblem from the KB cleanly?

I second the replkacing logo stuff, I'm not overly bothered about being stuck with this odd crab/heart thing on the top of my kb but I had always been hoping to get the sails when I finally came to try Corsair, will replacement stickers be sent out on request and/if it is possible to remove the emblem from the KB cleanly?

Replacement stickers will not be sold.

We have answered these questions in the past. We will not RMA an item just to change the logo, and we will not be giving away / selling logos for items.

The strife keyboard has only Red LED's

I was going by the fact that the OP was talking about 'new K70 RGB' with 'new logo' hence my question is the new logo K70 RGB will have improved hardware to get rid of the flickering issue or not.

I was going by the fact that the OP was talking about 'new K70 RGB' with 'new logo' hence my question is the new logo K70 RGB will have improved hardware to get rid of the flickering issue or not.

The only changed again the logo. If they do change the hardware I think they will change also the name or somehow advertise it anyway.

I highly doubt it. The new hardware would have to have new firmware and possibly software, which means they wouldn't able to just start making them all of a sudden without making them a completely different model.

Archived