Corsair Community

Corsair 2400 Mhz DDR4 - DRAM Frequency 933.2Mhz

heltk

Hi

(None of my hardware has been overclocked.)

- CPU-Z: = DRAM Frequency 933.2Mhz.

If the ram is 2400 Mhz and 5820k/X99 support 2133Mhz. Shouldn’t the DRAM Frequency be 2133/2 = 1066.5Mhz?

Task manger ram speed shows 2133Mhz

My Ram: CMK32GX4M2A2400C14

Those certainly are different, but then software programs often display information in unexpected ways. Get to the heart of the matter and check the BIOS. That is where the settings are enforced and the most likely place for something to be askew. Seems odd for a mature board like X99, but it may have been unintentional. You can probably resolve it by changing the DRAM frequency from Auto to your specified target (2133 or 2400), assuming you are not using XMP.
  • Confused 1

BIOS show 1866mhz so i guess that's why it shows DRAM Frequency 933.2Mhz. My ram has been acting weird lately and im little concerned. High ram usage + Windows memory diagnostics and memtest shows error. Will activating XMP make problems with my warranty?

No, XMP will not invalidate your warranty although if you were having a tedious conversation with Intel or the motherboard manufacturer, they might try to claim that anything over 2133 MHz is "overclocking". 2400 should be a walk in the park on X99 these days, even at high capacity. I ran my Pro and Strix models at 3200 constantly.

Best guess is that at some point you locked up on boot and the board altered some values. sometimes the Asus boards will drop frequency as part of its attempts to load. For example, you are trying to get 3200 and not making it, so the board lowers the frequency to 2800 or 3000 while simultaneously boosting relevant settings like DRAM voltage, VCCIO, VCCSA, etc. to usually very high numbers. In then takes you to the BIOS screen as its way of reminding you it changed a bunch of stuff. Look for purple numbers. This is one reason I do not like to leave critical settings like DRAM frequency, voltage, IO or SA to Auto.

Now all that said, any memtest errors in the 1800-2400 range (or really at all) are a problem. I would set the frequency to 2133 and despite what I just said set the RAM, IO, SA to auto. Then re-run memtest. Any errors at all signify trouble. Unfortunately, you must then figure out whether it is the RAM or the motherboard or the CPU and that is not a fun task. Usually the least painful test is to replace the RAM with another DDR4 kit. You can also try running/booting 1 stick at a time. Make sure you use the B1 slot or whatever is designated Prime on the motherboard. It should be in the manual under the memory section (just pictures).

thank you so much for all the advice. i really appreciate it

I tested all of the sticks one by one (2 times) and only one has an error in "Windows Memory Diagnostics tool".

The faulty ram gets error after just 1% completion and small white pixels flickers on my screen when running the test with that ram.

But something more concerning is out of the 3 rams without error only one of them has a default 2133mhz DRAM Freq. in Bios. The other two has the 1866mhz DRAM Freq. as default.

Maybe that's why I am getting 1866mhz instead of the 2133mhz

Edited by heltk

Got in contact with Corsair, they will replace all of the sticks. I didn't know corsair had this kind of warranty. Only problem know is that i will be without my main work PC and the return shipping will cost me 10% of what the ram cost me.

But i'm very pleased with the service from Corsair :)

If not too late, explain to the Service Agent this is your work PC and you need it to be up. They have a cross-shipping "advance RMA" where you put a credit card hold on the purchase price of the kit, ship the replacement immediately, then retract the charge when the old kit is received. This is not always available, but certainly worth asking about. The wait and ship back stuff would cost me 10-14 days of down time just with coast to coast US shipping. That is too much for me as well.