Corsair Community

Minimalism Build

Terry1

Hello,

I've two radiators (EK-CoolStream XE 480) which require a total of 16 fans (SP120 RGB Pro). The case comes with a Commander Pro and each 3 pack of fans has a Corsair Lighting Node Core. I don't want to adjust the RPM of the fans. I'd rather run the fans at max speed, set the LEDs to orange, close the lid and forget about it.

I am looking for the most efficient way to achieve that goal.

Do I need the Commander Pro to do this? I was thinking I could use 3 Corsair Lighting Node Cores for controlling the led color. Fan speed would default to max RPM.

My board (Crosshair VIII Formula) only supports two 9 pin USB headers and if I use 3 Node Cores I thought I would require something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Kalolary-Extension-Motherboard-Connector-Multilier/dp/B07D142PPQ/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=9+pin+usb+a&qid=1606610260&s=electronics&sr=1-4

Is what I am proposing doable? Any recommendations? Glaring failures?

Thanks!

You don't need the Commander Pro for the fans. That is a fan controller, but the "Lighting Node Core" with the SP-Pro is both RGB lighting power and controller. You will need 3 USB 2 ports to connect the 3 Core devices required for 16. Going to need a USB hub.

Theoretically the one you linked is fine, however I generally recommend a powered one. Those seem to be less prone to issues, but you can try it. This is the first one I saw on the same page as your link.

The SP-PRO are 3 pin DC. That does not seem like it is an issue for you or your plans, just FYI for whatever you are going to use as a controller. Probably will need to get into a powered fan hub as well. There are DC versions, but less plentiful than the PWM variety. If you have the Commander Pro, it is DC fan capable and could also serve as the master controller for a couple of powered fan hubs to control all 16.

Prompt reply. Thank you! I'm in this build so deep it's of little consequence at this point to get a decent powered usb hub as you suggested.

Your advice for a powered fan hub is appreciated. I thought two of these for the radiators and one for the 8 front case fans might be be appropriate:

https://www.amazon.ca/DEEPCOOL-FH-10-Integrated-Occupying-Motherboard/dp/B077YHLDSP/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=internal+fan+hub&qid=1606620646&s=electronics&sr=1-5

As I examined the Commander Pro more closely I noted two male 9 pin usb ports and a 9 pin female usb for the mobo.

vTvFtek

Could I use these two ports to plug in two of the three Node Cores and then plug the Commander Pro into the mobo? It thought it might negate having to get a usb hub.?

Thanks

Yes, you can use the Commander’s 2 usb passthrough ports for two of the Cores. The third can go straight to the MB, so as long as there are no more, you’re all set. The Commander is a bit larger than most hubs, but the fan controller may have value.

Also, if this is a 1000D then you might need one of the RGB channels on the Commander for the case lighting.