Corsair Community

Extra Fans for my PC

ploopy

Hello, I just bought the 220T and am having issues with the fans, my motherboard only seems to have two connectors for the three chassis fans on the front so currently I only have the top two working. I also want to upgrade to more fans in the future including an exhaust and a liquid cooler however this isn’t currently possible because of the lack of connectors on my motherboard. I’ve been looking at some splitters for the fans however I am not sure if using these will affect the fans and the RGB features in any way, the fans are the SP120 and my motherboard is ASUS Prime B250 plus. Thank you in advance.

Splitter will not affect the RGB in any way. All Corsair fans have two separate wires (and power pathways) for the lighting and the motor. You only need to worry about the motor control wires right now.

At the moment, 1 x 2-way splitter solves your problem. Your SP-PRO fans are DC motors (3 pin connector), but I suggest getting a 4 pin PWM splitter anyway. It will work for DC or PWM fans, while a 3 pin will only work for DC. Try to avoid the 3 way splitter unless necessary. That takes you ~0.90A (3 x 0.30A average maximum) and most motherboards have a 1.0A limit on each header. You might get away with it, but there is no reason to risk it with what RGB fans cost these days.

Long term when you move to more fans, you are going to need a fan controller. There are multiple brands and multiple types that cover a wide array of sizes and uses. The Corsair one is called the Commander Pro and integrates fan control and RGB control into one device. That may or may not be useful depending on the Corsair hardware you have. It does make fan speed controllable through the CUE software you already will be using to make RGB changes.

Edited by c-attack