Corsair Community

Reliable fully working link setup

Neardood1

After 2 years and many, many wasted hours of messing around with it, I've finally found a golden sw/hw combo that works reliably for my corsair link setup. No random crashes, no nodes not working, everything works as it should. I know this won't work for everyone but i'll give you a guide to how I got my system to the state its in now.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with corsair in anyway and if this doesn't work for you or bricks your commander or nodes I won't be held responsible. You do this at your own risk.

First off, here's my specs

• Windows 8.1 64 Bit
  • Asus Rampage IV Formula mobo
  • Intel Core i7-3820 cpu
  • Asus GTX 670 gpu
  • G.Skilll 1700mhz Ram (16GB)
  • Intel 520 series SSD (240GB)
  • Corsair HX 750 Modular PSU
  • Coolermaster HAF XM Case

Link Setup:

• Corsair link software version 2.4.4948
  • Link Commander 2 version 2.0.6
  • Corsair H100 CPU Cooler firmware version 1.2.8 with 2 Corsair high static pressure fans as the RPM sensors failed on both the ones that came with it.
  • 1X cooling node firmware version 1.2.11 w/ 4 fans hooked up to it
  • 2X lighting nodes firmware version 1.1.9 w/ at least 1 led strip running of each channel
  • GPU node connected directly to link commander via 2 pin connector

So here goes, how to get a reliable setup:

1. Go to thie following page http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=125350
    and download version 2.4.4948. I know its far from the latest software but when I tried using the latest versions all I got was exception errors and an endless stream of glitches and problems. Make sure you follow the instructions listed up the top to uninstall the old link software (if you have another version installed) Also make sure you go into control panel and uninstall the USB dongle driver as well. Then once you've rebooted install the software listed above and reboot again.
  2. Now its time to update your node firmwares (if all your nodes are already to the specs listed above you can skip this step). We'll start with the commander. download the commander firmware from the software download page http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=125350. I have no idea why corsair put the commander firmware there, but scroll down until you find the line that says Firmware: Corsair Link Firmware 2.0.6. Download it to your desktop, then open the zip file and click and drag the firmware file to extract it to your desktop.

Next open the link software and navigate to the options tab, then click the "Update Firmware" button. In the popup window, make sure the device field says "Corsair Commander". Remember we're trying to update the firmware on the commander itself, not one of the nodes.

Click the ... button to the right of the "File" field, and look for the "CorsairLinkUSBFW_2.0.6.s19 file on your desktop. Select it then click open. Next click start in the bootloader window and let it do its thing.

3. Now its time to update your cooling node(s). Download the cooling node firmware from here http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=105156 Make sure you get version 1.2.11 as the newer one didn't work for me.

Use the same method in step 2 to update the cooling node firmware, making sure you change the selection in the "Device" field to your cooling node. Repeat if you have more than one.

**Trivia/weird glitch** I was running the old cooling node firmware for some time before this and both my radiator fans would disappear from the link software after a day or two of operation. What's worse is the connectors that the fans were plugged into on the cooling node would not work for any other fan and were basically dead. The software update has fixed this (so far) and restored functionality to all. It only had this problem for the radiator fans, presumably because they draw slightly higher current than the other fans. Anyway...

4. As far as i'm aware there is no need to update the firmware of your lighting node(s). Nor is there a need to update the H100 if you have one (although it would be nice to see an update that lets you control the LED's on it and maybe pump speed or even fans running off of it).

5. Now you should be able to place your icons on the main screen in the link software and use the software how it was originally intended to be used :)

So there you have it folks. A real life example of a reliable, fully functional link setup. Let me know in the comments if this helped you :laughing:.

1010648750_LinkWorking.thumb.jpg.2a0d57b9af0ec3e574b0e9935ad1ae1b.jpg

323976890_GratuitousShot.jpg.96234e16e001e7ee7b97a7605cfe9c1b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived