Corsair Community

4pin Fans Uncontrollable CL Cooling Kit

TrevJonez

So i just reformatted after a massive custom liquid loop upgrade. Everything is working EXCEPT the corsair link which in my opinion is the best item for the fan control job.

It is the cooling kit (1x Commander + 1x Cooling Node)

I can see the fans and RPM just fine in the software. The catch is that the information portion of the software is telling me my 4pin fans are 3pin fans.

I have 16 fans total hooked into the cooling node. Split across the 4 channels using a 4pin splitting cable that uses a separate 4pin molex to deliver power and passes the 4 pin signal to all 4 fans while taking the tac signal from only one.

They are all corsair SP120 Performance Edition 4-pin Fans.

Using the EK Splitter.

I updated the firmware to the latest on both the cooling node and commander and have tried multiple different software versions. Same result each time, the link software thinks they are 3pin.

I will tear into this and see if connecting the fans directly to the node solves the issue or not.

Any other ideas team?

If i plug in a single 4 pin fan to the cooling node i can control it. However the corsair link software still reports it as a 3 pin fan. The splitter I am using depends on the speed control signal to happen on the fourth pin which I do not think I am getting that level of control. Is there any sort of low level (registry / config file) control that i can manually tell corsair link to work in 4 pin mode and have it ditch it's auto learn routine?

The next odd thing which SCREAMS software/firmware issues to me. when i manually set the speed of the fan @ 40% the RPM reading in the software goes down to about 1100 . When i set it @ 100% it goes back up to 2300. All the while there is NO CHANGE in the real world.

I've literately set my finger against the blades of all 20 of my fans one at a time to ensure that I wasn't missing an RPM Change.

So disappointing the Corsair Link on my H80i was a real performer and i want that level of control back with my custom loop.

Just un installed the Corsair Link. I spent 20 minutes and 8 dollars making my own splitter to finish up the job. All 16 fans slave just fine from the Mobo CPU Fan Header. Only one single fan passes its tacho data in and they share the PWM. All power is pulled directly from 4 pin molex perif connections.

Maybe if corsair ever gets the cooling nodes in stock i'll purchase three more of them but until then that mess is in a box in the drawer.

As it should be the water pump is now the noisiest component in my system.

Archived